PDA

View Full Version : Interesting twist on Maddux decision

soxtalker
01-25-2004, 01:27 PM
I read the article in the Tribune this morning that discussed Maddux:

Maddux derby enters homestretch (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040124maddux,1,7851900.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

Now, this is obviously of prime interest to the Cubs fans, and, in fact, I don't think that the Sox were even mentioned in the article. But one of the main thrusts of the article was that the Dodgers might get into the bidding. If they were successful, that would free up some of the pitchers that KW wants.

Sounded more like speculation, reflecting the wishes of Boras to have another bidder, as Evans has budget issues. But you never know...

beckett21
01-25-2004, 01:29 PM
I read it as Boras once again trying to impose his will on the world of baseball. Could he please just go away?!?!?

doublem23
01-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
I read it as Boras once again trying to impose his will on the world of baseball. Could he please just go away?!?!?

He would if idiot owners would stop caving in and paying.

soxtalker
01-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by beckett21

In this particular case it seems that he is doing what anyone would want to do in a negotiation -- make sure that there is some competition.

I know that there has been some discussion on the board suggesting that we try to sign Maddux, but I don't see that. This seems to be almost a pure Cubs story in the newspapers. However, when I saw the Dodgers and Mariners mentioned, it seemed like it might have impact on the Sox.

jabrch
01-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
In this particular case it seems that he is doing what anyone would want to do in a negotiation -- make sure that there is some competition.

I know that there has been some discussion on the board suggesting that we try to sign Maddux, but I don't see that. This seems to be almost a pure Cubs story in the newspapers. However, when I saw the Dodgers and Mariners mentioned, it seemed like it might have impact on the Sox.

The Sharks get the good food - we are the catfish and other scavengers on the bottom that get the droppings that filter down to us. The Dodgers will get Maddux, we will get Odalis Perez. The Mariners get Maddux, we get Freddy Garcia.

It is getting old and tiring.