PDA

View Full Version : Carol in today's Sun-Times

bahn1225
01-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Carol Slezak, columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times,
paints a pretty bleak picture today titled:

"White Sox have many questions, few answers "

Slezak column (http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol25.html)

RKMeibalane
01-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Contrary to what Slezak thinks, I don't see blow-up coming anytime soon. Based on what we learned last week in Greenstein's article, Frank seems like he's been busy trying to prepare for the upcoming season. He probably has better things to do than to talk to people he doesn't like. Obviously, things could go downhill if the Sox start losing, because Frank would undoubtedly be one of the players singled out if the team struggles.

Slezak is correct about one thing, however. Williams needs to worry about other issues besides Frank's silence. The team has too many holes right now to be concerned about something that may not even be a problem. Although he has improved as GM, Williams still has problems seeing the big picture. Any other GM would be looking for ways to solidify his team, not trying to make the team's superstar look bad.

Daver
01-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by bahn1225
Carol Slezak, columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times,
paints a pretty bleak picture today titled:

"White Sox have many questions, few answers "

[URL=http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol25.hmtl[/URL]

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

jabrch
01-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
He probably has better things to do than to talk to people he doesn't like.

RK, why do you constantly make excuses for him? I am willing to admit that he is, over his career, one of the greatest hitters of all time. I am willing to admit that he is one of the top two hitters on this team today (he or Maggs, I don't know). But you seem to constantly make excuses for poor behaviour from Frank.

If your Boss, and your bosses boss both called you, and you didn't return their calls at all, FOR MONTHS, would it be acceptale to say, "Well, RK just doesn't like Mr. Boss. He has better things to do than talk to him." -- No - it would be unacceptable. Frank is wrong on this one - wrong for not returning Ozzie and KWs phonecalls.

jabrch
01-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Any other GM would be looking for ways to solidify his team, not trying to make the team's superstar look bad.

Cuz I am sure that's all he does all day - think to himself, "How can I make Frank look bad"

That's nonsense. KW has tried to do a lot of things. He hasn't had the flexibility to do it cuz of a few contracts and a budget, but you can't say he hasn't been trying, unless you know a lot more about what he does than most of us do. And I doubt he thinks about Frank a whole heck of a lot since Frank accepted his option. Frank's back - no problem - end of thought.

chisoxmike
01-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Slezak always has some negative article about the White Sox. (Not that there is anything positive happening.)

RKMeibalane
01-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
RK, why do you constantly make excuses for him?

Because I don't appreciate the fact that so many people go out of their way to make him look bad. Is Frank wrong to not return someone's phone calls? Probably. But that doesn't excuse any attempts by Williams or anyone else within the Sox organization to make Thomas look bad. It would be different if Frank had previously bad-mouthed Williams or done something to compromise the integrety of the Chicago White Sox organization. Since he hasn't done either of those things, at least not recently, then I don't see why KW feels the need to slam one of his best players.

The only thing Frank did that might have upset KW in the first place was to exercise the option in his contract that allowed him to stay in Chicago. Williams didn't seem too pleased by that, but it isn't Frank's fault that the option was included in his contract. If Williams had a problem with the terms of Frank's deal, he should have discussed with Reinsdorf. It is possible that the two of them may have discussed without our knowledge, but I doubt. Williams has shown on more than one occasion that he doesn't always do what Reinsdorf wants him to.

soxfan26
01-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Williams and Guillen should try harder to make peace with Thomas. Now. Or trade him. To avoid the inevitable spring-training blowup and the mess that inevitably will follow.

I think it is interesting that management is so worried about Frank, but every time you talk to one of his teammates, most recently Rowand, or Teddy G. he is a friendly guy and a big tipper.

Guillen's comments were unprofessional. Guillen is going to be a media goat all season long. It does not matter if the Sox win or loose, he will find his way into the headlines everyday. Thomas is exercising good judgment by avoiding the media frenzy about his "relationship" with Oz.

It makes no sense to compare Thomas not returning phone calls from his boss to one of us doing the same thing. If the organization is so worried about office etiquette, why did they allow Ozzie to go on TV and criticize his players?

Thomas is simply following sage old advice, and JW and Oz aught to think about doing the same...

"If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Hangar18
01-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
I think it is interesting that management is so worried about Frank, but every time you talk to one of his teammates, most recently Rowand, or Teddy G. he is a friendly guy and a big tipper.

Guillen's comments were unprofessional. Guillen is going to be a media goat all season long. It does not matter if the Sox win or loose, he will find his way into the headlines everyday. Thomas is exercising good judgment by avoiding the media frenzy about his "relationship" with Oz.

It makes no sense to compare Thomas not returning phone calls from his boss to one of us doing the same thing. If the organization is so worried about office etiquette, why did they allow Ozzie to go on TV and criticize his players?

Thomas is simply following sage old advice, and JW and Oz aught to think about doing the same...

"If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Excellent Post, I agree. Ozzy shouldve been a little more tactful with his comments. Every Team has personalities, and some you have to work with more than others. Its a Fact Of Life. Good Managers Realize this, and Coddle some Players, and Know which ones to leave Alone. Is Ozzie Smart Enough to figure out Which Players He Needs to Coddle and which
ones to Leave Alone? The Record by the All-Star Break will
bear that out.

duke of dorwood
01-25-2004, 06:10 PM
And the Frank thing is just the deflection KW needs away from the inactivitry and weak team he is putting on the field

Lip Man 1
01-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Rich King is his new WSI Interview has some interesting things to say about the Sox clubhouse chemistry and why it has been bad.

Lip

SEALgep
01-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Rich King is his new WSI Interview has some interesting things to say about the Sox clubhouse chemistry and why it has been bad.

Lip

Can you post a link or where you've seen it, please? I haven't seen it. Thanks.

RKMeibalane
01-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Can you post a link or where you've seen it, please? I haven't seen it. Thanks.

Check the front page. It's on there now.

Nice job on that interview, Lip. I enjoyed it.

mdep524
01-25-2004, 11:30 PM

Can anyone tell me again what Ozzie said at the press conference -- most of which, by the way, applied to Magglio too-- that was SO unforgivable and "unprofessional"?

"I'm sorry but Frank will play my way," Guillen said. "I hear negatives about Frank but I want him to be how he was in the early '90s when I was here. But I love Frank. I want him here and I need him to be a great player in the clubhouse."

Big deal. This has been blown way too far out of proportion. The media, and some Sox fans, make it sound like Ozzie pulled a David Wells.

Ozzie talks a lot. Get used to it. Look for his intent, don't turn him into a villian.

soxfan26
01-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
Ozzie talks a lot. Get used to it. Look for his intent, don't turn him into a villian.

Read my whole post before you cut and paste it and put words into my mouth. I did not make Oz out to be a villian.

The article in the Sun- Times is about an impending blow up between Thomas and Ozzzie. A few posters made it Thomas' fault because he won't return phone calls to Ozzie or KW.

The fact is that Ozzie would not be calling Thomas if he had not called him out at his press conference. Ozzie is not a villian, but he is at fault for the current tension between the two.

Ozzie the player could talk all he wanted to. Ozzie the manager better learn a fundamental rule of handling his players. You punish in private, but praise in public.

mdep524
01-26-2004, 01:13 AM
Read my whole post before you cut and paste it and put words into my mouth. I did not make Oz out to be a villian.

The article in the Sun- Times is about an impending blow up between Thomas and Ozzzie. A few posters made it Thomas' fault because he won't return phone calls to Ozzie or KW.

The fact is that Ozzie would not be calling Thomas if he had not called him out at his press conference. Ozzie is not a villian, but he is at fault for the current tension between the two.

I didn't mean to single you out, or put words in your mouth. Sorry. But Frank should have the common decency to return a frickin' phone call from his bosses who want to talk baseball with him. And you can't say that Ozzie has no other reason to call Frank except to apologize-- after getting the job, new managers call their star players all the time to chat. It's part of building team chemistry.

munchman33
01-26-2004, 02:05 AM
I didn't mean to single you out, or put words in your mouth. Sorry. But Frank should have the common decency to return a frickin' phone call from his bosses who want to talk baseball with him. And you can't say that Ozzie has no other reason to call Frank except to apologize-- after getting the job, new managers call their star players all the time to chat. It's part of building team chemistry.

I agree. I can't think of any sain reason Frank would want to break contact with management right after a new manager was hired. It can only lead to problems.

soxfan26
01-26-2004, 03:15 AM

Building team chemistry did not get off to a good start. Frank and Ozzie both need to stop acting like they are bigger than the team. The media laid a trap with their past problems and Ozzie walked right into it. I agree Frank needs to return his phone call.