PDA

View Full Version : Any info on A-rod?

gosox41
01-25-2004, 08:39 AM
According to the insightful Bruce Levine, the Red Sox and Rangers were going to be talking about the A-Rod trade again this weekend.

Anyone hear anything? Are the two teams even speaking? I know they're trying to keep this quiet, but you would think something woud leak out by now.

Bob

jabrch
01-25-2004, 09:14 AM
I am still pretty confident that something is gonna happen. All of those players were too ready to be moved for their teams to not make it happen over a few million dollars. Eventually the 4 sides will just split the difference and call it a go. (each team chips in 1.6mm, A-Rod takes a 1.66mm paycut and the MLBPA allows the deal to be devalued by 1.6mm - and we can call it a day. The question then is what do we do with Magglio? We know the Dodgers want him. We know Boston wants him if they move Manny. What do we do with Nomar? How about Damon/Nixon? Do we need Willliamson anymore since signing Shingo? Is there something else we need more - or a place to move Williamson to?

Jjav829
01-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
According to the insightful Bruce Levine, the Red Sox and Rangers were going to be talking about the A-Rod trade again this weekend.

Anyone hear anything? Are the two teams even speaking? I know they're trying to keep this quiet, but you would think something woud leak out by now.

Bob

It's hard to tell. If something is happening, they are doing any awfully good job of covering it up. Even if it does happen, KW has already said we won't be a part of it. We can't know for sure how honest they are being when they say that the deal is dead and they aren't discussing anything. With no good FA pitchers remaining (save Maddux) I don't think the Rangers are in as much of a hurry to make this deal. Though if they don't make it this year, they may never make it as there is the chance Nomar and the BoSox reach an agreement on a contract and Nomar stays.

doctor30th
01-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm not so sure this deal is going to happen now. Before I believe the Rangers plans were to sign Aurillia to play shortstop, now there almost no free Agent SS, except bordick who would be an ok option for them.

Unless the White Sox participate in this trade and trade valentin to the Rangers.

If it does go thru I'm starting to think that it will be a three team trade With the Rangers getting Valentin, Manny and cash, Boston getting A-rod and Magglio, and the Sox getting Nomar and Williamson with the sox giving cash as well.

Then I think the Sox would trade Konerko to the Dodgers for Perez and Koch to another team.

I did see in an earlier thread that Otis had posted a rumor about this trade too. If there is any truth to that rumor then I would think it would end up in a three team trade again with the Rangers getting Valentin, Koch, Manny, and Cash, Boston would get A-Rod, Magglio and a Sox prospect or 2, Sox getting Nomar, Damon and Williamson with the sox giving up a bit more cash.

Then I think the Konerko trade would go thru again.

Will either of these happen, most likely no. They are rumors and don't mean much.

CWSGuy406
01-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Otis, if you do read this, have you heard anything lately regarding the trade? Either the four team trade or the two team trade?

Paulwny
01-25-2004, 06:47 PM
ARod was just appointed captain of the rangers. I doubt they would have made this move if talks were continuing.

dmcgarry
01-25-2004, 08:37 PM
oops