PDA

View Full Version : McDowell / Sox Fest

Lip Man 1
01-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Here's something you may want to mention or talk with Jack McDowell at Sox Fest about.

I received in the mail today (and was very surprised) a package from Jack with Stickfigure's latest CD in it. The CD is called Memento Mori . I was blown away that he'd do this. (As some of you know, in connection with Jack's interview with WSI he sent the site his CD 'Ape of The Kings' and allowed the site to make available two of the songs on it for listeners to down load.)

It was just a hell of a thing to do.

Jack is on the cover wearing shades and a knit hat riding in a yellow miniature go cart that's made to look like an Indy racing car.

11 songs are on the CD. I am covering a college basketball game tonight but will listen to the CD in the future.

Again if any of you see Jack next weekend (when you aren't protesting!) please mention to him that WSI thanks him for his time and for allowing the site to have downloaded two of his songs.

Lip

ewokpelts
01-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's something you may want to mention or talk with Jack McDowell at Sox Fest about.

I received in the mail today (and was very surprised) a package from Jack with Stickfigure's latest CD in it. The CD is called Memento Mori . I was blown away that he'd do this. (As some of you know, in connection with Jack's interview with WSI he sent the site his CD 'Ape of The Kings' and allowed the site to make available two of the songs on it for listeners to down load.)

It was just a hell of a thing to do.

Jack is on the cover wearing shades and a knit hat riding in a yellow miniature go cart that's made to look like an Indy racing car.

11 songs are on the CD. I am covering a college basketball game tonight but will listen to the CD in the future.

Again if any of you see Jack next weekend (when you aren't protesting!) please mention to him that WSI thanks him for his time and for allowing the site to have downloaded two of his songs.

Lip

Lip,

Y'know...Jack DOES want you to plug his Cd. That's why he sent ya the cd. But It's still pretty cool. Did he leave a note saying if he's selling some at Soxfest?
Gene

whitesoxwilkes
01-24-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm on Jack's mailing list for his band and ordered Momento Mori a few months back. He sent me a signed copy, along with some stickers, a button, a keychain and some guitar picks. The coolest thing IMHO was that it was his handwriting on the envelope, complete with his home address as the return.

His music is actually solid--crunchy guitars, think cross between the Smithereens and Urge Overkill.

ewokpelts
01-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I'm on Jack's mailing list for his band and ordered Momento Mori a few months back. He sent me a signed copy, along with some stickers, a button, a keychain and some guitar picks. The coolest thing IMHO was that it was his handwriting on the envelope, complete with his home address as the return.

His music is actually solid--crunchy guitars, think cross between the Smithereens and Urge Overkill.

Which mailing list do you subscribe to? I signed up at the "what are records" site...also, WHEN is that guy coming to play? I've missed every chance to see him in the last couple of years..and all he told me in an email was that he was planning a show around this time...
Gene

whitesoxwilkes
01-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Which mailing list do you subscribe to? I signed up at the "what are records" site...also, WHEN is that guy coming to play? I've missed every chance to see him in the last couple of years..and all he told me in an email was that he was planning a show around this time...
Gene

Send an email to Stickjack1@aol.com and he'll add you.

Brian26
01-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Lip,

Wilkes and I must have preferential treatment. Jack sent me that cd after I talked to him for an hour online this past summer. Must have received it in July or August. He's a cool cat.

Hangar18
01-25-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Lip,

Wilkes and I must have preferential treatment. Jack sent me that cd after I talked to him for an hour online this past summer. Must have received it in July or August. He's a cool cat.

I gave him a buzz when I Landed in San Diego this past summer. Talked to him on the phone, and gave me a heads up on where were the cool places to hang in the area for live music. Totally weird because my best friend lives a few blocks away from him ...... talk about small world. His last cd was
very good and an Excellent recording (compared to the new Metallica, which sounds like garbage) That CD shouldve
been played way more on XRT, of course, thats a cub station

Brian26
01-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
His last cd was very good and an Excellent recording (compared to the new Metallica, which sounds like garbage) That CD shouldve

Agreed. There were some really good tracks on it. I'm no music critic, but I thought it was a surprisingly good effort.

ewokpelts
01-26-2004, 08:46 AM
I gave him a buzz when I Landed in San Diego this past summer. Talked to him on the phone, and gave me a heads up on where were the cool places to hang in the area for live music. Totally weird because my best friend lives a few blocks away from him ...... talk about small world. His last cd was
very good and an Excellent recording (compared to the new Metallica, which sounds like garbage) That CD shouldve

i actually like how st anger was recorded.....very much a demo/indie band feel.btw...great record after a sox defeat...makes me even more pissed off.... but yeah...jack's record does sound more polished
Gene

Hangar18
01-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
i actually like how st anger was recorded.....very much a demo/indie band feel.btw...great record after a sox defeat...makes me even more pissed off.... but yeah...jack's record does sound more polished
Gene

I dont know man. St. Anger is the worst recording theyve
ever put out. I watched the dvd of that whole album, and I
can see what they were trying to do, which kind of
bothered me. They couldve put out a better sounding
product, but chose not to ........... I noticed Jerry Reinsdorf
was the Producer on St. Anger

Hangar18
01-26-2004, 08:58 AM
By The way, as a part-time musician myself, Jacks
previous album sounds phenomenal, compared to the
new St. Anger album. You still have to give the consumer
a Good Product.

fledgedrallycap
01-26-2004, 09:02 AM
I dont know man. St. Anger is the worst recording theyve
ever put out. I watched the dvd of that whole album, and I
can see what they were trying to do, which kind of
bothered me. They couldve put out a better sounding
product, but chose not to ........... I noticed Jerry Reinsdorf
was the Producer on St. Anger

I love the CD and the material they wrote, but the DVD with them playing the songs live blew the disc away. I have no problem with the sound except for the snare drum. What was Lars thinking putting that on tape?

Hangar18
01-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I love the CD and the material they wrote, but the DVD with them playing the songs live blew the disc away. I have no problem with the sound except for the snare drum. What was Lars thinking putting that on tape?

man.....ive been saying that all this time also. I thought he was playing with a Piccolo snare, but watching them play the whole album on dvd, He just didnt tune his snare. the dvd blows
away the Cd, which sounds like garbage, Im betting they
did that on Purpose...........To get back at everyone who is downloading their songs for free. Which is a what Reinsdorf
wouldve done had he been the lead singer in this band

ewokpelts
01-26-2004, 10:55 AM
man.....ive been saying that all this time also. I thought he was playing with a Piccolo snare, but watching them play the whole album on dvd, He just didnt tune his snare. the dvd blows
away the Cd, which sounds like garbage, Im betting they
did that on Purpose...........To get back at everyone who is downloading their songs for free. Which is a what Reinsdorf
wouldve done had he been the lead singer in this band

haw! well...i still stand by my post.....what do u think about it musically?
Gene

ewokpelts
01-26-2004, 10:57 AM

Hangar,

Jack's cds get airplay on XRT. Stickfigure even played an XRT festival(I think thier Rockin' de Mayo show). There are some baseball geeks there that were stoked to hear jack's stuff.
Gene