PDA

View Full Version : interesting article about diaz

habibharu
01-24-2004, 02:09 PM
apparently this guys thinks that diaz will be one of the sox best starters in a few years: http://www.topprospectalert.com/TPA/08250831.shtm

TaylorStSox
01-24-2004, 02:19 PM
It looks like that was written 2 years ago.

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox

Yup...

Felix Diaz was the White Sox’s prize for dumping Kenny Lofton at the trading deadline this season

DrCrawdad
01-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox

True, but here is an article on Diaz that was written just about 3 weeks ago.

In this article they too are quite positive about Diaz.

The early talk is that the 23-year-old Diaz could be the favorite even though Cotts got a few looks last season. That's the type of news that Diaz wanted to hear.

"I really believe I'm a starter," Diaz said. "I pitch well as a starter and can give the White Sox a lot of innings. All I'm looking for is an opportunity. I feel very, very good and believe I'm improving with every start."

Diaz was pitching for Tigres Del Licey in the Dominican Winter League and was 1-0 with a 1.08 ERA through his first four starts. But what the Sox really like is the fact that Diaz added a cut fastball to his pitching repertoire. It was the addition of a cutter by Loaiza last season that made the veteran an AL Cy Young Award runner-up.

"I'm doing all right with the cutter," Diaz said. "I haven't given up many hits off of it."

"Felix Diaz is a guy who we had targeted when we did the Kenny Lofton deal," said general manager Kenny Williams. "He's really grown up and should be primed to compete for a job."

LINK (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/report/CHW/6981685)

soxfan26
01-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
True, but here is an article on Diaz that was written just about 3 weeks ago.

In this article they too are quite positive about Diaz.

The Sox rotation sorely needs Diaz to live up to those expectations. I would love to see him or Cotts come in and just nail down the #4 spot.

SoxxoS
01-24-2004, 03:04 PM
My personal opinion is we need a "Loiaza like" suprise in the pitching staff IN ADDITION to the lineup. Whether that be Diaz, Cotts, JReed, Borchard or whoever, but we need somebody to step up big time.

SEALgep
01-24-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm not commiting an opinion on this topic necessarily, so don't get frustrated with me if you don't like it. KW has said he has been trying to get Schoenweiss for about 3 years, and is excited about having him. I beleive he has said that he has added the same cut fastball Loaiza has adopted. Whether this improves him as a pitcher remains to be seen, but maybe it will workout after all. Although I'm not saying it will, it can maybe make our rotation better than realized. Either way though, guys like him and Garland are going to step up if we want to win the division, that's a no brainer.

soxfan26
01-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I'm not commiting an opinion on this topic necessarily, so don't get frustrated with me if you don't like it. KW has said he has been trying to get Schoenweiss for about 3 years, and is excited about having him. I beleive he has said that he has added the same cut fastball Loaiza has adopted. Whether this improves him as a pitcher remains to be seen, but maybe it will workout after all. Although I'm not saying it will, it can maybe make our rotation better than realized. Either way though, guys like him and Garland are going to step up if we want to win the division, that's a no brainer.

In baseball batters and pitchers adjust to each other. I can't help but feel like the cut-fastball will be yesterday's news in 2004. It sure seemed to do the trick for E-Lo, and it could never hurt a guy to add another pitch. However, This is the second pitcher (Diaz being the other) who is a hopeful for our rotation that has added the cut fastball.

I know Loaiza was criticized for not being able to get out right handed hitters in the past, like Schoeneweis is now. But it makes me wonder if the new pitch is the magic potion. I'm thinking not, but you can call me a jerk when E-lo and Scoeneweis win 20 games !

SEALgep
01-24-2004, 04:28 PM
I won't call you a jerk, I'll be too happy. It can only help, as long as they throw it effectively for strikes. That's really what it boils down to. If your pitches are refined and you can throw in another pitch with the same ability, then it should be effective, if for no other reason it will confuse the batter more.

pearso66
01-24-2004, 06:01 PM
I think what makes the cutter effective is if they have another pitch to work it off of. If they simply develop a cutter and that's all they have, it wont be effective at all. I believe every pitcher in our system could have it, if they also had 1-2 other pitches they could throw for strikes, the cutter would be every bit as effective. I believe it makes all your pitches that much better because they dont know what to look for. You can't rely on just 1 pitch, as we all know.

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
You can't rely on just 1 pitch, as we all know.

:bkoch:
"Since when!?"