PDA

View Full Version : Possible FA's for Sox

nitetrain8601
01-24-2004, 12:32 AM
The Sox still have a chance to sign some FA's that you may know of. I read an article on ESPN and I found some FA's still available.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1710604

My list of possible candidates if the Sox are serious at all:
Chris Singleton(He and Rowand can play every other day)
Pudge(If he's seriously thinking about the Tigers, I'm sure the Sox are a better option)
Pedro Astacio(I think he can be a good fourth or fifth starter for us, or at least a good bullpen guy)
Scott Saurbeck(Sox need more in their bullpen IMO)
Ugueth Urbina(What's better than 2 possible closers? 3)
Antonio Osuna(He was good for us, why not give him another chance?)

I'm not saying we should sign all of them, but try to get at least one or two of them.

One more interesting thing, Damaso Marte and Kelly Wunsch are 2 of the eight pitchers who held their opponent's BA to under .200.

I think we'll be fine at second with Willie, he just needs a solid chance to play.

soxfan26
01-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by nitetrain8601

My list of possible candidates if the Sox are serious at all:
Chris Singleton(He and Rowand can play every other day)
Pudge(If he's seriously thinking about the Tigers, I'm sure the Sox are a better option)
Pedro Astacio(I think he can be a good fourth or fifth starter for us, or at least a good bullpen guy)
Scott Saurbeck(Sox need more in their bullpen IMO)
Ugueth Urbina(What's better than 2 possible closers? 3)
Antonio Osuna(He was good for us, why not give him another chance?)

I think we'll be fine at second with Willie, he just needs a solid chance to play.

If the Sox were to do anything from that list they should invite Singleton and Astacio to ST and give them a shot.

Pudge is not a realistic option. The Sox just can't afford him.

I'm all for giving Willie a chance to succeed also, but it would be nice to see a plan B in place if he fails.

Before the Sox add any more to the pen, they need to address CF, 2B, and the rotation.

hold2dibber
01-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
I'm all for giving Willie a chance to succeed also, but it would be nice to see a plan B in place if he fails.

Plan B was traded to the Reds, Plan C was traded to the Rockies, and Plan D also as traded to the Reds. Plan E is Joey Cora .

jeremyb1
01-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Osuna would be a good signing assuming he doesn't cost too much. He's by far the best reliever remaining on the market.

ND_Sox_Fan
01-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Osuna would be a good signing assuming he doesn't cost too much. He's by far the best reliever remaining on the market.

I don't think he is going to get the $2.4 mill he made last year!

RKMeibalane
01-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Singleton would be a nice addition. The Sox need someone besides Aaron Rowand out there. Osuna is also worth looking at, if he can be had cheaply. The Sox bullpen is filled with holes. They need to start filling them now.

doctor30th
01-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Well Singleton would only be nice to pick up as a reserve outfielder.

Osuna isn't bad, but I think we have enough short relief pitchers.

Urbina again wouldn't be bad, but again it's the short reliever thing. And he would have to promise not to shoot guns in the air. Urbina Shoots Gun (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1717268)

Pudge is big time unrealistic, he's looking for a 4 year deal in the 10 mil range. Plus Scott Boras is not a fan of JR.

Saurbeck is undergoing surgery this week and will miss the entire season next year.

Astacio is having problems with his rehab and has actually delayed workouts until the end of january Probably won't be useful this season.

So for me the only one to get would be singleton and only as a reserve not to platoon with rowand.

doctor30th
01-24-2004, 07:26 PM
One FA that we tend to overlook is Mark McLemore Who would be a pretty good bench player, but I don't think you'd get him for just a minor league contract.

kittle42
01-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
One FA that we tend to overlook is Mark McLemore

And with good reason.

beckett21
01-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Doesn't look like we have anything to gain from the FA market at this point. No need for Singleton, we already suffered through him once. Let Rowand and Borchard push each other--we have to decide on those guys, and the only way is to let them play. Management has put us in this position, so it's time to see who can play. I still would love to see Reed get a shot. Bernard would be a waste. I know I am repeating myself. As far as the FA left, the only ones we would consider tendering an offer to are awful; there is a reason those guys are still floating around. If we are going to go with this *youth movement* then I guess it is sink or swim. (BTW, anyone out there see "Titanic" ?) :whiner:

But honestly, there is no reason to bring in a washed-up retread.

doctor30th
01-24-2004, 07:50 PM
And with good reason

Well there is good reason to overlook him for a the starting line up, but not for a bench player. He can play all over, would be a decent defensive replacement and he can still steal a base so he can replace konerko or thomas cause he still has some speed. The only things that hurt him in my eyes to be a bench player is that he's 40 and we already have Uribe could probably already do this role.

beckett21
01-24-2004, 07:57 PM
I have always liked McLemore, he is versatile, plays hard. Problem is his age. Besides he has been a utilityman most of his career. There is a chance he could contribute, but the odds are much, much greater that he would not. We don't need stopgaps; he does nothing for us long term, except take valuable PT away from young guys who we need to find out if they can cut it. I understand you are looking at him as a reserve, which might be OK but I just don't get into the AARP crowd. Unless the name is Bonds or Clemens. Uribe was brought here for some reason so I think he will be the floater. At least he has more upside than a 40 year old, although that too is debatable. :D:

duke of dorwood
01-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Osuna maybe-I have no use for the rest of those cast-offs

joecrede
01-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Williams made a quick mention yesterday on Mac, Jurko, and Harry's show that he'll likely sign another pitcher to a minor league deal. If that's true, my guess is it will be Orlando Hernandez.

doctor30th
01-24-2004, 08:28 PM
My guess is that it wouldn't be orlando hernandez because he is still rehabing and When he threw in front of scouts during the week he topped out at 76-78 MPH. Not spectacular. I don't think he's going to recover in time from shoulder surgery to be able to help a team. I wouldn't waste a minor league contract on him.

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Osuna definately interests me. As does Urbina except for the money. I'm also interested in Ellis Burks but I hear he's close to signing with the Red Sox.

RKMeibalane
01-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Osuna definately interests me. As does Urbina except for the money. I'm also interested in Ellis Burks but I hear he's close to signing with the Red Sox.

Interesting. That's where he started his career back in the mid-eighties. He had a good season during the one year he was with the Sox. Burks played a big part in helping them win the division in 1993. I was surprised at the time that they didn't re-sign him.

nitetrain8601
01-24-2004, 11:39 PM
I think Osuna would be great in the pen. It could make our bullpen like Houston's last year. When it was full of short inning pitchers to make up for no LR's.

gogosoxgogo
01-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by nitetrain8601
I think Osuna would be great in the pen. It could make our bullpen like Houston's last year. When it was full of short inning pitchers to make up for no LR's.

I agree. What's with having to designate a spot for a long reliever anyway? I don't like Danny Wright and he would be wasting a bullpen spot. I take Osuna over him anyday.

nitetrain8601
01-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Yea, I think Danny Wright needs to go back to the minors. If we were to get Osuna, we would have enough guys capable to hold down the bullpen. Also with Marte, doesn't he want to become a starter? If that's the case, we could turn to him as a long reliever if it comes down to us not having anyone to go to, which I doubt. WE WANT OSUNA!!!!!