PDA

View Full Version : How did this happen?

KempersRS
09-05-2001, 06:39 PM
How did we let the Tribe get into first. Their pitching is sickening. Other than Sabathia, they are pathetic, to say the LEAST. Burba is just plain pathetic, Colon is wild and inconsistent, Woodard is just a poor excuse for a starting pitcher, and whatever rookie they decide to throw into the mix for spot #5 has bee shaky at best. I don't care what your lineup is, LOOK at that staff, its one of the worst in baseball. How are they 20 games over?

Daver
09-05-2001, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
How are they 20 games over?

Well you could blame the unbalanced schedule that brings lots of games with KC and Detroit,or you could do what I do

BLAME CANADA.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-05-2001, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
How did we let the Tribe get into first. Their pitching is sickening. Other than Sabathia, they are pathetic, to say the LEAST. Burba is just plain pathetic, Colon is wild and inconsistent, Woodard is just a poor excuse for a starting pitcher, and whatever rookie they decide to throw into the mix for spot #5 has bee shaky at best. I don't care what your lineup is, LOOK at that staff, its one of the worst in baseball. How are they 20 games over?

I'll tell you how all that happened. It's all about the Sox getting hit by the injury bug. We're half the team we were supposed to be & with an unbalanced schedule against the rest of our weak division it's pretty easy to explain how that happened.

Iguana775
09-05-2001, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by daver

BLAME CANADA.

my thoughts exactally!!!!!! lol

Dadawg_77
09-05-2001, 08:02 PM
Also Clevland haa a good lineup, one of the best in the majors. A decent pen but was hurt with the trade for Rocker. And pretty good up the middle defence.

Tragg
09-05-2001, 08:11 PM
Because we've had a young pitching staff (partially because of injuries) that has been a bit inconsistent and we have been mediocre offensively for much of the season because of lack of ability to get on base.
As long as you are trying, which we are, you can't help but amass a decent record when you play 36 games against the royals and tigers.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-05-2001, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Also Clevland haa a good lineup, one of the best in the majors. A decent pen but was hurt with the trade for Rocker. And pretty good up the middle defence.

The one thing we desperately lack is defense. Our infield has so many holes it looks like someone left Daver & his shotgun in the same room with it & our outfield is pretty brutal. How many times has it been said that Pitching & Defense wins championships.

Bucktown
09-05-2001, 09:09 PM
I don't buy this injury bug stuff. We have had as much good luck as bad. For goodness sake we will probably have a rookie Cy Young winner, who counted on that? Jose Canseco has played very well.

Everyone that went down (Frank, Wells, the other pirchers) were stinking up the place. The pitchers all showed signs of returning to their mediocre selves.

In answer to the original question, nobody had ball this year. Early in the season no one ever stepped up to the plate and after mid-season no one stepped up when they needed to most. That is the differnce between this year and last.

In the last game against Cleveland we brought the tying run to the plate in the 9th. In 2000 Carlos Lee would have tied up the game with a HR.

Not that I am pessimistic, I think this is the best team in the division and Frank will alsways improve any major league lineup. But we need timely hitting, not a healthier team

KempersRS
09-05-2001, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I don't buy this injury bug stuff. We have had as much good luck as bad. For goodness sake we will probably have a rookie Cy Young winner, who counted on that? Jose Canseco has played very well.

Everyone that went down (Frank, Wells, the other pirchers) were stinking up the place. The pitchers all showed signs of returning to their mediocre selves.

In answer to the original question, nobody had ball this year. Early in the season no one ever stepped up to the plate and after mid-season no one stepped up when they needed to most. That is the differnce between this year and last.

In the last game against Cleveland we brought the tying run to the plate in the 9th. In 2000 Carlos Lee would have tied up the game with a HR.

Not that I am pessimistic, I think this is the best team in the division and Frank will alsways improve any major league lineup. But we need timely hitting, not a healthier team

Wow Buck, haven't seen much of you lately. Anyway...The dig on Thomas was unfair. Maggs' average was just as low as Thomas' when Thomas went down, but he turned it around. I would bet Thomas would have done so as well. Not to mention, his presence in the lineup changes things, not only could he hit a ton, he walked a ton and set up others. Also, this year has just had a lot of bad luck. We have gotten little or no breaks, its just one of those years. The bullpen injuries were more key than the Wells injury if you ask me. Everyone got depleted and we just drained out the pen. We couldn't hold games when we up, and we couldn't keep them close when we were down one or two runs. I really think next year is going to be better. The rotation should be tweaked to be better than this year, and the pen should be LOADED with young arms. Frank back, and possibly a breakout season from Crede or Borchard and we'd be sitting pretty. Just look at a guy like Pujols, you never know, we could get a huge surprise from someone (kinda like Buehrle.)