PDA

View Full Version : Phil Arvia's Column

Lip Man 1
01-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Phil Arvia in the Southtown has some interesting comments on the Japanese pitcher who the Sox signed. Apparently he spoke (researched) him with experts who follow the Japanese leagues.

Their reactions on his ability were mixed. You might want to read it.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x23-ard1.htm

Lip

voodoochile
01-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Well, he's Sox property now, so Go Mr. Zero!

poorme
01-23-2004, 12:04 PM
this guy sounds like Isidro Marquez if anyone remembers him.

bennyw41
01-23-2004, 12:17 PM
That guy Arvia is an idiot. 1 million dollar pitcher, this isn't a huge risk, and all he does is rail it? His article is full of anti-japanese sentiments, and his article is just plain stupid!

pudge
01-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
That guy Arvia is an idiot. 1 million dollar pitcher, this isn't a huge risk, and all he does is rail it? His article is full of anti-japanese sentiments, and his article is just plain stupid!

His attempts at humor are a little corny, but his article is dead on. I was thinking last night about the conflicting statements regarding Shingo closing and what it might mean in July after Shingo gets shelled a few times and they put Koch back in the role.

But Ariva also gives credit to KW for trying to make something happen. I think the article is completely fair.

duke of dorwood
01-23-2004, 01:06 PM
It was a good way to get some depth-just dont expect a lot, and we will be suprised if he exceeds expectations. This, after all, is what this regime is about.

CubKilla
01-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
1 million dollar pitcher, this isn't a huge risk, and all he does is rail it?

I'll take Shingo Takatsu at $1 million per over Billy Botch at $6 million plus.

:bkoch:

"I'll probably only have 5 or 6 bad outings in '04."

soxfan26
01-23-2004, 01:46 PM
"One never knows who is going to come to the mound when the call goes out for closer Shingo Takatsu: Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hangingslider.

I don't like the sound of that. It was a good article overall IMO.

I just hope that one way or another, this move means Koch is on his way out. I still think Koch will rebound. But here is a good opportunity to drop a big chunk of salary, and not weaken the team. Even if we had to pay half of Koch's salary, I would deal him. Hopefully KW finds a better offer than that, but none the less Koch is more expendable now then ever.

Deal Koch and either let Marte, Polite, and Takatsu earn the full time closers job, or use all three of them.