PDA

View Full Version : 12 pitchers

Mohoney
01-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Normally, I'm very much against carrying 12 Pitchers, but this season, I think we should look into it.

In the past, the biggest problem that I had with carrying 12 Pitchers was the fact that we had a clueless goon for a manager. Now that he's gone, I would rather carry the 12th Pitcher than carry Joe Borchard. A 3rd lefty option out of the pen is more valuable, in my eyes, than anything that Borchard brings as a 5th Outfielder.

My 25 man roster (barring any other moves, except finding a backup 3rd baseman):

Pitchers:

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Schoenweis
Person

Marte
Koch
Takatsu
Jackson
Wunsch
Politte
Darensbourg

Catchers:

Olivo
Alomar, Jr.

Infielders:

Konerko
Harris
Valentin
Uribe
Crede
Backup 3rd Baseman? (Wish they kept Graffanino!)

Outfielders:

Ordonez
Lee
Rowand
Benard

DH:

Thomas

Hokiesox
01-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Anything that suggests Thomas shouldn't be playing everyday at 1st isn't a good thing on this board.

SEALgep
01-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Anything that suggests Thomas shouldn't be playing everyday at 1st isn't a good thing on this board.
Whatever- Konerko is a better defensive man. Thomas is adequate but the first time he throws the ball away for any reason he needs to throw, you'll think different. I don't mind him to platoon with Pauie, but not all the time.

I don't mind so much having 12 pitchers. I would like Diaz to be on there, but I'll let Coop tell me what he wants. It could work too, because most of our guys are versatile. If needed, I don't mean ideal, Harris could play the outfield while Valentin and Uribe played the infield. That in an emergency or a much needed rest for certain guys. This most likely won't happen, but it is an option in order to have the extra pitcher. I believe Uribe can play third for days off for Crede, not his best position, but I think he can. It may be better to have an extra utility guy, but we'll see what they want to try.

voodoochile
01-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Whatever- Konerko is a better defensive man. Thomas is adequate but the first time he throws the ball away for any reason he needs to throw, you'll think different. I don't mind him to platoon with Pauie, but not all the time.

I don't mind so much having 12 pitchers. I would like Diaz to be on there, but I'll let Coop tell me what he wants. It could work too, because most of our guys are versatile. If needed, I don't mean ideal, Harris could play the outfield while Valentin and Uribe played the infield. That in an emergency or a much needed rest for certain guys. This most likely won't happen, but it is an option in order to have the extra pitcher. I believe Uribe can play third for days off for Crede, not his best position, but I think he can. It may be better to have an extra utility guy, but we'll see what they want to try.

Yes, but Frank hits better playing first (way better) and he already out hits Paulie as a DH, so why not put the guy who will benefit the team most at first?

Another discussion about the importance of a 1B arm is coming, I just feel it.

I think they should work a bit of a platoon also. I don't see Frank out there more than 100 times this season, but if they keep it regular then he should be able to stay in that 1B hitting groove...