PDA

View Full Version : Ishii

T-Bag
01-23-2004, 09:33 AM
There is a rumor going around on CBSSPORTSLINE.com that there is a potential deal....Ishii for Konerko. Anyone hear this?

jabrch
01-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by T-Bag
There is a rumor going around on CBSSPORTSLINE.com that there is a potential deal....Ishii for Konerko. Anyone hear this?

DONE...in a heartbeat.

Danny Evans isn't this stupid, is he?

SSN721
01-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Absolute no-brainer, but I cant imagine this deal being true, it is completely in favor of the Sox, even if Konerko returns to close his old form, I would much rather have a solid starter. Does anyone know what Ishiis salary is? Even if it is close to Konerkos it would still be worth it, but I am just curious if we will save any money through this deal. I would imagine we would have to send cash or a prospect with Konerko for this to work. I still cant beleive this is for real though, are there any credible sources, just seems like we have been hearing a lot of ridiculous rumors through CBSSportsline. WOuld love it for real though. :D:

ssang
01-23-2004, 10:19 AM
I WOULD BE SOOOOOOOO HAPPY if this trade happened!!! I like Ishii, I like Asian ballplayers, I like solid starting pitchers... and I HATE F**ING PAUL KNOERKO and his fat-ass salary. Please God, let this be true.

SEALgep
01-23-2004, 10:26 AM
He's a good pitcher with good stuff. However, he gets behind in counts and walks a lot of people.

Foulke You
01-23-2004, 10:28 AM
I don't see this deal happening. If Evans won't deal Odalis Perez for Paul Konerko straight up, why would he make the deal for Ishii who is a superior pitcher? This sounds far fetched. That being said, I'd do it in a heartbeat if Evans is that stupid and/or desperate for a power hitter. :D:

DrCrawdad
01-23-2004, 10:32 AM

Shingo, Tetsu Yofu and if it were true that Ishii were coming would the Sox have the most Japanese pitchers on one MLB team?

kittle42
01-23-2004, 10:44 AM
There is a rumor going around on CBSSPORTSLINE.com

Man, are there two or three of these "unfounded message board rumor" threads a day now? :angry:

jabrch
01-23-2004, 11:14 AM
They would stick us with Odalis Perez far sooner than letting us have Ishii.

tanko
01-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
They would stick us with Odalis Perez far sooner than letting us have Ishii.

Maybe not Ishii is 5 years older than Perez

eriqjaffe
01-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Does anyone know what Ishiis salary is?

2002: $0.5M (+$1.5M signing bonus)
2003: $2.2M
2004: $2.6M
2005: $3.2M
2006: Team option $3.3M or $1.1M buyout
2007: Team option $4.0M or $1.1M buyout

Not all that expensive, really.

But he's got some control problems.

--Eriq.

voodoochile
01-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Shingo, Tetsu Yofu and if it were true that Ishii were coming would the Sox have the most Japanese pitchers on one MLB team?

Get ready for Japanese signs behind home like they have in Seattle.

:reinsy
"Gallas is absolutely brilliant. He pointed out just because we could no longer fool the American Sox fans it was time to find new suckers... er... I mean more fans. It was Kenny who pointed out that the Sox have almost no fans in Japan. I was shocked. There must be at least 1M fans I can fool into following the team next season. Do the Japanese gangs like certain colors? I will have special hats made up. Maybe we can put a dragon on the side of the cap."

:KW
"That's Chinese, JR, but I think you are on the right track..."

:gallas
"A dragon? That's it! Let's rebuild the scoreboard and replace the pinwheels with dragon heads and then it will look like they are belching fire every time they go off."

:reinsy
"I love that man and everyone loves dragons. Let's do it..."

wsgdf
01-23-2004, 11:27 AM
I would rather have Perez than Ishii. He's better IMHO and younger. I think Ishii walks way too many for the AL. I'd still do the deal though.

SoxOnTop
01-23-2004, 11:39 AM
This would make sense if KW was trying to dump salary to make the Nomah deal go through.

Just an observation.

Winning_Ugly
01-23-2004, 11:44 AM
I think that Perez would definitely be the better addtion. According to the 2004 Baseball Prospectus PECOTA projections, Perez is ranked 35th by VORP (value over replacement player) for pitchers, and Ishii at 510th! Perez has a projected BB/K ratio of approx. 1:3 and Ishii 1:1.5. Too many walks indeed!

StepsInSC
01-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Yup a WHIP of over 1.56 is overcomeable in a park like the Dodgers are in, not so sure if he'd be even mediocre in the cell.

Dadawg_77
01-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Ishii = Chan Ho Park

tanko
01-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Ishii would be pretty dominant in the AL for half a year.

Frater Perdurabo
01-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by tanko
Ishii would be pretty dominant in the AL for half a year.

And because Sox management is so forward-thinking, they could turn around and trade him at the All Star break while his value is at its peak!

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Ishii scares me. I'd rather have Perez. I do this only if the money we save is then spent on something else.

lowesox
01-23-2004, 12:41 PM
I think this board is something like 0 for 421 on trade rumours so far this offseason. Not that I mind - it keeps things interesting. Just saying that neither this nor the Crawford thing will actually happen.

tanko
01-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think this board is something like 0 for 421 on trade rumours so far this offseason. Not that I mind - it keeps things interesting. Just saying that neither this nor the Crawford thing will actually happen.

true true but it is fun

hold2dibber
01-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

Ha! So true. I don't think there were any hot Miles for Uribe rumors floating around here before that blockbuster.

mdep524
01-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Maybe KW wants to acquire Ishii because he is a close friend of Takatsu, and it would help Mr. Zero feel more comfortable with the Sox/America in general. Just a thought.

doublem23
01-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

Danny Evans isn't this stupid, is he?

Todd Hundley for Mark Grudzielanek and Eric Karros ring a bell?

LATruBlue
01-23-2004, 04:36 PM
This is the first time that I've heard this rumor.

Let me just say that I really like our pitching staff. Top 5 no doubt. But if KW wants Ishii for Konerko, I for one wouldn't shed too many tears. Ishii has BIG control problems at times. Every pitch is an experience.

CWSGuy406
01-23-2004, 04:49 PM
I could be wrong, but I heard Ishii and Shingo are buddies, and that Ishii is part of the reason Shingo came to the MLB?

Are they of the same descent (Shingo is Japanese, don't know about Ishii though.)?

hold2dibber
01-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
I could be wrong, but I heard Ishii and Shingo are buddies, and that Ishii is part of the reason Shingo came to the MLB?

Are they of the same descent (Shingo is Japanese, don't know about Ishii though.)?

They are both Japanese and the report in the Sun Times today said they're good friends. My guess is that these facts are the basis of the rumor and that in truth, there's nothing to it.

daveeym
01-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Maybe I'm just in a goofy mood today but between this and Hangar's ticket renewal thread I've been laughing my ass off. In such a short thread so many people can say i'd rather have because perez sucks or vice versa and then end with, but either is better than konerko.

petekat
01-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Good stretch in 2003 when healthy

Ishii:

2003 Season
Perhaps a bit gun-shy after his 2002 season was ended by a line shot that hit him in the face, Kaz Ishii got knocked around in his first start last season. In his next 16 starts, however, he went 7-2 with a 2.37 ERA. Late in July, Ishii sprained his left MCL and spent a month on the disabled list. Perhaps still bothered by the injury, he struggled late in the year.

Pitching
Except perhaps for Randy Johnson, Ishii's stuff is as good as any lefthanded starter in baseball. His fastball registers in the low 90s and has a good deal of movement. His curveball has a lot of break to it, and his changeup is solid as well. Ishii runs into difficulty because his command is flighty. Not only does he walk a lot of batters, but he also gets behind in the count with most hitters. Occasionally, he will switch from the windup to the stretch with no one on base, or even pitch an entire game from the stretch position, just to try to find a rhythm.

2004 Outlook
Assuming that Ishii's knee is sound, there is no reason to believe that he will not be a solid contributor at the back end of the Dodgers' rotation. He is signed to a reasonable contract for the next two seasons, and if he can make 30 starts for the first time, Ishii should post double-digit wins for the club.

doctor30th
01-23-2004, 10:40 PM
I've been looking at both of the players and I think that I would lean more toward a Konerko for Ishii trade. I just don't really trust Perez's numbers.

I would think that the sox would have to send a prospect with Konerko to get Ishii and and I don't think we could get him without throwing a little cash the Dodgers way.

If the trade the otis talked about yesterday and this one went trough we would be a hell of a team.