PDA

View Full Version : Maddux says no to Flubs!

eriqjaffe
01-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Didn't notice another thread about this, sorry if I'm doubling up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=citadel-2_227192_260&prov=citadel&type=lgns

Greg Maddux has rejected the Cubs' original offer of two years at an estimated $12-16 million total. Maddux, set to turn 38 in April, remains unsigned as the baseball off-season charges toward Spring Training.

Not that JR'd spend the money on him...

mike squires
01-23-2004, 07:24 AM
great, now maybe we can get him.

mike squires
01-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Unbelievable! If Maddux thinks he can do better than that he is crazy. If anybody gives him more than that, THEY are crazy.

SSN721
01-23-2004, 07:59 AM
As much as I would loathe the press the Cubs would have gotten if Maddux had been signed, it would almost have been worth it if he ended up going there and completely dropping off the charts. Maybe winning under ten games, I dont think he is worth the money they offered and I thought after watching him last year his skills have declined quite a bit. I dont know, I for one wouldn't be ecstatic if the Sox picked him up, especially for the money he wants. I gotta think we could find 2 decent pitchers to fill out the rotation for the money he wants for himself. Ah, who cares, at least the Cubs didnt get him. :cool:

Hullett_Fan
01-23-2004, 08:31 AM
From what I've heard, the Cubs and Maddux are still negotiating. I'm sure that Hendry did not offer the max they'd be willing to spend on him, expecting his jerk agent (Boras) to come back for more $$$. It seems like the only other teams in the running are AL teams (Mariners, Angels) unless the Dodgers are sold quickly and then have the budget for him.

I do agree that the original offer seemed fair.

soxfan26
01-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
Unbelievable! If Maddux thinks he can do better than that he is crazy. If anybody gives him more than that, THEY are crazy.

2 years at $12-16m is not much to ask. That averages out to $6-8m per season if there are no deferments or incentives.

Maddux struggled last season prior to the All-Star break. After the break, he went 9-3 with a 3.03 ERA. He still averaged 5+ K per 9IP last season, and his control is still there, he had 124K's vs. 33 BB's.

Maddux is at the end of his career, but he is a model of consistency, he has never been an injury problem, and will pick up his 300th win for whatever team makes him a fair offer.

I'm glad it won't be the Cubs!

chisoxfan79
01-23-2004, 09:27 AM
great, now maybe we can get him. It will never happen because the sox won't deal with Boras

mike squires
01-23-2004, 09:31 AM
I was definately being sarcastic! I don't want Maddux on the southside. Especially not for the long term contract he is looking for.

Foulke You
01-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Listening to the Score this morning, it sounds as if they are still negotiating as HulletFan said. Maddux and Boras did indeed reject the 2 year offer the Cubs made but that doesn't mean talks have broken off. I guess Boras is saying that they have $10 million a year offers on the table from "several teams". I'm assuming they are AL teams otherwise Maddux would have taken it by now. What a wuss! What's the matter Greg, afraid the Red Sox, Yankees, etc. will pound the stuffing out of you?

mike squires
01-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfan79
It will never happen because the sox won't deal with Boras

I think it's the other way around. Boras won't deal with the Sox.

Maximo
01-23-2004, 09:36 AM
In all probability, he'll still end up with Cubs. They need to do something to raise the hopes of their fans and increase attendance.

mike squires
01-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
2 years at $12-16m is not much to ask. That averages out to $6-8m per season if there are no deferments or incentives.

Maddux struggled last season prior to the All-Star break. After the break, he went 9-3 with a 3.03 ERA. He still averaged 5+ K per 9IP last season, and his control is still there, he had 124K's vs. 33 BB's.

Maddux is at the end of his career, but he is a model of consistency, he has never been an injury problem, and will pick up his 300th win for whatever team makes him a fair offer.

I'm glad it won't be the Cubs!

THe money is reasonable and he could probably get a bit more. IMO teams that offer him more than a 2 year deal are crazy which I thought Maddux wanted. (a 4 year deal) Sorry I wasn't more specific.

Hangar18
01-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
.... What a wuss! What's the matter Greg, afraid the Red Sox, Yankees, etc. will pound the stuffing out of you?

heh heh, thats EXACTLY why he doesnt want to come
to the AL. He knows he'll get his a** kicked by the Mariners,
Yanks, RedSox, WhiteSox, Royals, Angels, BlueJays ...

mdep524
01-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I guess Boras is saying that they have $10 million a year offers on the table from "several teams". I'm assuming they are AL teams otherwise Maddux would have taken it by now.

I really doubt there are actually any higher offers "on the table" for Maddux right now. This is just Boras up to his old tricks trying to get more money out of the Cubs by telling them there is so much interest out there. I doubt Hendry is stupid enough to bid against himself Tom Hicks-style. Remeber when Boras said teams were lined up around the block to offer Kevin Millwood a huge multi-year offer? How did that one turn out? Millwood accepted arbitration and returned to the Phils. Boras is just blowing smoke--his act is getting so old that he's lost all credibility (if he ever had any).

Frater Perdurabo
01-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by mdep524
I really doubt there are actually any higher offers "on the table" for Maddux right now. This is just Boras up to his old tricks trying to get more money out of the Cubs by telling them there is so much interest out there. I doubt Hendry is stupid enough to bid against himself Tom Hicks-style. Remeber when Boras said teams were lined up around the block to offer Kevin Millwood a huge multi-year offer? How did that one turn out? Millwood accepted arbitration and returned to the Phils. Boras is just blowing smoke--his act is getting so old that he's lost all credibility (if he ever had any).

Actually, I'd like to see the Cubs get snookered on this and sign Maddux to a long-term massive contract. He could get his 300th win in Wrigley, while the Cubs are mired in third place with a sub-.500 record (because three other starters are on the DL from Dusty's oversue) and the Trib cuts back the budget for 2005. That way, the Cubs would be unable to sign Wood or Prior long-term. Perfect. Just like the 85 Cubs.

Frater Perdurabo
01-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Yep. The Sox should avoid NL pitchers like the plague, unless they have dominant stuff.

depy48
01-23-2004, 01:05 PM
you see the picture of him on the cubs website has maddux holding a bat. maybe the cubs are trying to sign him for his offensive production... i mean thats why they signed wood, right?

depy48
01-23-2004, 01:06 PM
or should i say
"woods"
sorry cheeses_h_rice

soxfan26
01-23-2004, 01:59 PM
THe money is reasonable and he could probably get a bit more. IMO teams that offer him more than a 2 year deal are crazy which I thought Maddux wanted. (a 4 year deal) Sorry I wasn't more specific.

I agree that at this point 4 years it to much of a risk for Maddux at the price he wants.

I'm still waiting for the evidence that Maddux is headed for the scrap heap. I catch several Braves games on TBS every year, and I don't see it. The guy is a model of consitency, he is a control pitcher, and I think he could pitch well into his 40's if he chose to.

If any of the "edler" class of pitchers around the league deserve big money this late in thier careers it's Maddux IMO. Altough I agree that he needs to stay in the NL to have the same level of success.

kittle42
01-23-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm still waiting for the evidence that Maddux is headed for the scrap heap. I catch several Braves games on TBS every year, and I don't see it. The guy is a model of consitency, he is a control pitcher, and I think he could pitch well into his 40's if he chose to.

This may be true, and I believe it, but his numbers do show that he has been consistently losing it the last three years a little bit each year.

soxfan26
01-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
This may be true, and I believe it, but his numbers do show that he has been consistently losing it the last three years a little bit each year.

I'm not making a case that the 2004 Greg Maddux will pitch like he did in '94 or '95, but if "loosing it" means 35 starts, 200+ innings an 16-17 wins, then there are over 100 guys half his age that never had it.

kittle42
01-23-2004, 04:53 PM
there are over 100 guys half his age that never had it.

I agree, and 97 of them have pitched for the beloved White Sox.

beckett21
01-23-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm not making a case that the 2004 Greg Maddux will pitch like he did in '94 or '95, but if "loosing it" means 35 starts, 200+ innings an 16-17 wins, then there are over 100 guys half his age that never had it.

Maddux is one of the most cerebral pitchers in baseball. He would do fine in the AL. Personally I'd take him for 2 years. Look at Jamie Moyer. What's his fastball top out at, 82 MPH?

soxfan26
01-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Maddux is one of the most cerebral pitchers in baseball.

That is the second time I have seen that word used in a sentence today. Is that you Iron Mike? :cool:

beckett21
01-23-2004, 08:25 PM
That is the second time I have seen that word used in a sentence today. Is that you Iron Mike? :cool:

Sorry to disappoint you, I have no idea who Iron Mike is. But if he thinks like me, he must be pretty smart. :D:

beckett21
01-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Sorry to disappoint you, I have no idea who Iron Mike is. But if he thinks like me, he must be pretty smart. :D:

Okay, I should qualilfy that . Obviously I know who "Iron Mike " is; but I do not know anyone who goes by that handle, unless you are implying that you think I am DA COACH (which I am not).

StillMissOzzie
01-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Or maybe he knows that he wouldn't get those 25 inch wide home plate strike calls like he does in the NL

Originally posted by mdep524

I agree 100%. If there were ANY other offers, let alone any that met his asking price, I don't think Boras & the Scrubs are talking any more. Yes, you'd think Boras' "higher bidders" act would have gotten old by now. It hasn't done squat for I-Rod, either.

SMO