PDA

View Full Version : True Confessions

PaleHoseGeorge
09-05-2001, 05:09 PM
First, I knew there would be trouble the moment I saw Bmr had check in on the board earlier today. I admit I've been upset at the latest round of baiting he did to others here several days last week. I was waiting for him to return.

In contrast to his "I'm not explaining it if you can't figure it out yourself" attitude, I had been laying out the support for my viewpoints on the topics du jour (i.e. Clayton vs. Valentin) for the past two days. I knew full-well Bmr would not agree with anything I said. That was the point; I was going on the record with support for everything I said.

I expected there would be a showdown but I had no idea it would erupt so quickly. To call Bmr's behavior in here childish is no understatement, underscored by the fact he's chosen to leave us rather than accept my challenge to engage others on equal terms. Anyone who has upset him need not apologize for anything. This was his choice.

I am sorry to the rest of you who inadvertently got between me and my true quarry, Bmr. I always knew the true showdown would be with him. Specifically I'm apologizing to Kilroy and SoxboyRob. After a week's worth of baiting from Bmr, I was only thinking of maximizing his reaction to my posts, not yours. I apologize.

I have always found all the Sox Fans in here both reasonable and considerate. I'm very sensitive to the notion I'm using this board for any purpose other than the free exchange of ideas amongst Sox Fans. Some people don't want to play nice with others. That may be okay in other forums, but not here. This isn't "just a board".

I hope Bmr chooses to join us again in the future. We've never banned a Sox Fan for stating an opinion and we're not starting now. Hopefully I'll be spared the the need to ever again play the role of kindergarten teacher.

Daver
09-05-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Hopefully I'll be spared the the need to ever again play the role of kindergarten teacher.

Perhaps you are forgetting that I am still around PHG?

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
09-05-2001, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by daver

Perhaps you are forgetting that I am still around PHG?

We need you here, Daver. Who would provide the rest of us with venison chili if you ever left?

dimaisback
09-05-2001, 07:42 PM
what do you think of a new, rejuvenated me, PaleHoseGeorge?

Could I, perhaps, take place of departed bmr in your heart?

Bmr31
09-05-2001, 07:47 PM
I would like to apologize to those ive offended. Phg, if you had a problem with me, dont you think maybe you should have said something, instead of waiting until you think im gone, to bash me? Kinda childish dont ya think?

This whole thing started with the BMR vs RANDAR saga. THis so called saga was sensatonalized by many of you. People added fuel to this. All you have to do is look at the title of one of the parking lot threads, to see what i mean.

I WAS trying to tone down my behavior, and everytime i did, someone would attack me without reason, or try to refuel the BMR vs RANDAR saga. It got to a point where i figured no matter what i said or did, i would keep this reputation. WIth that said, did i contribute to that by disagreeing with posters purposely? Perhaps i did. Ive never hidden from my guilt. I was wrong. My problem is and always has been, others fueling that and playing innocent. Take care guys. I will not leave on a sour note. You guys were right, my behavior was uncalled for. All i want to point out is, so was some of yours.

OfficerKarkovice
09-05-2001, 08:08 PM
Bmr...I dont think that anyone is saying that you should leave. I for one would be glad if you stuck around. Who cares what happened, we arent a bunch of damned children around here. People still want to talk to you and here your opinion on things. So hopefully I speak for many of us when I say that we by no means dont want you posting here anymore.

KempersRS
09-05-2001, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Bmr...I dont think that anyone is saying that you should leave. I for one would be glad if you stuck around. Who cares what happened, we arent a bunch of damned children around here. People still want to talk to you and here your opinion on things. So hopefully I speak for many of us when I say that we by no means dont want you posting here anymore.

Well said Kark.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-05-2001, 08:19 PM
All anybody ever wanted out of you was consideration of their viewpoint on terms equal to your own. It's basic courtesy. If I'm guilty of anything it's being too naive to realize dragging you into a true exchange of ideas was doomed after so many others here had similarly tried and failed. I didn't expect you to leave but with the benefit of hindsight I'm not surprised you did.

So I'm forced to do what I hoped wasn't necessary: make a new rule.

If anybody here doesn't feel they need to support their viewpoint when challenged by a pier, they should honestly consider whether expressing their viewpoint is necessary in the first place. Posts of these kind are of dubious value.

I'm glad you're back, Bmr. I hope you choose to stay.

LongDistanceFan
09-05-2001, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

Well said Kark. I have to apologize to everyone, for i did par-take in the post of who is better. I meant no-harm and BMR,PHG and others, if i offended anyone, i was was guilty of some of this. I am really sorry.

When i was gone, i missed you guys, i missed the fights, the arguing of whose opinions were right or wrong. This is what made this board special, b/c i noticed that the next day, everything was forgotten. I hope you come back bmr.

voodoochile
09-05-2001, 09:43 PM
You know, I do feel a little guilty. BMR obviously thought I was baiting him. I wasn't. I was trying to make a point (as many others have also) that saying only "You're wrong" is not good conversation. Finally I got tired of trying to draw him out and having him laugh about it afterwards. "What fun would that be" got to be a real tired phrase. So, I decided to make my point with sarcasm, "Because BMR says so" and walk away.

I don't hold any ill feelings toward him and was one of the few ones who was not fighting with him at the old message board (may they forever remain nameless).

I too would welcome him back and think he has a lot to offer the board. I did notice the behavior change he mentioned, in that he toned it down quite a bit. Now if he would take it to the next step and actually have a conversation about baseball, he could be a valued member of the board, but if he just wants to be obstinate and argue for the sake of arguing while refusing to explain his opinions and dump on anyone who disagrees with him, no loss... Sorry if that's harsh, but this isn't just some dumping ground to work off steam. You want or need to do that, go slam trolls on the troll board... (interestingly enough I saw him doing exactly that the other night).

BMR, if you read this, I talked about how I for one think of this medium as being a real one. I have made friends in this environment that extend beyond the realm of WSI, and have exchanged e-mails with some of those people. I want you to know that you are one of the ones I consider to be a friend. We spilled some bad blood a long time ago at the original WSI, but seemed to come to peace a while ago. I want to apologize directly to you for any behavior that you feel was baiting. I didn't want to upset you, merely to make a point. Talk baseball... I mean really talk baseball. Have a conversation, not just an "are too am not" slam fest. As they say on Monty Python, "that's not an argument it's just a contradiction" (is not).

Tragg
09-05-2001, 10:25 PM
George, during the first week of the season, I got the crap pounded on me on this board (actually the prior configuration) for suggesting that a)the Sox were playing like Chumps and were not ready for the seasaon and b)Royce Clayton was a terrible pick up.
It was just one of those things - a few people vehemently disagreed with me, I was new to the board, and I spent all night fending off attacks. I was egging them on as well.
My point is that these things sometimes get out of hand - a personal attack here and there and all hell breaks loose. Just relax, pull away, and clearer heads prevail.
I haven't been in a fight since.

Kilroy
09-05-2001, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Specifically I'm apologizing to Kilroy and SoxboyRob. After a week's worth of baiting from Bmr, I was only thinking of maximizing his reaction to my posts, not yours. I apologize.

No need for an apology PHG. Nothing that serious goes on around here to require one. I just wish I was able to be around when this was debated. I might have had a thing or two to add to it.

The whole point of a message board is to discuss opinions. Offering them without discussion is kinda pointless.

BTW, I was just a little to busy today to respond to your last post in that thread from last night, PHG. I would have taken a shot at it...

LongDistanceFan
09-05-2001, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
George, during the first week of the season, I got the crap pounded on me on this board (actually the prior configuration) for suggesting that a)the Sox were playing like Chumps and were not ready for the seasaon and b)Royce Clayton was a terrible pick up.
It was just one of those things - a few people vehemently disagreed with me, I was new to the board, and I spent all night fending off attacks. I was egging them on as well.
My point is that these things sometimes get out of hand - a personal attack here and there and all hell breaks loose. Just relax, pull away, and clearer heads prevail.
I haven't been in a fight since. When i first got here, i was pummelled(sp) that day by the actor/lawyer and it was rough. Shortly afterward i had a rough night w/randar. But afterward all was great and still is. I remember on the old board the tempers was really going and the next night the same posters were talking about some real nice "DSL" which i will never forget. Wild