PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know phase 5 of "the cell" renovation?

lths06
01-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Does anybody know what pahse 5 will be for Comiskeys renovation, or have any ideas?

Daver
01-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by lths06
Does anybody know what pahse 5 will be for Comiskeys renovation, or have any ideas?

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-22-2004, 08:33 PM
as you can see, a home run porch upper deck like old comiskey. These were posted on HKS's site but were pulled down.

lths06
01-22-2004, 08:40 PM
very cool. It looks like from that pic they r doing some other stuff. Do you (or any body else) have any clearer pics or different angles?

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-22-2004, 08:41 PM
I do also have this picture but it's just as blurry. They were posted on the board and I saved both of the pictures to my hard drive.

munchman33
01-22-2004, 08:44 PM
I thought phase 5 was to move the team somewhere else.

lths06
01-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Do you know any details about it. I cant really tell from the pics if theyre in both left and right field, if the 1 in left is outdoors or not...

Frank the Tank
01-22-2004, 09:55 PM
I though phase 5 was to burn the cell down and use the insurance money to build a new park :(:

Daver
01-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I though phase 5 was to burn the cell down and use the insurance money to build a new park :(:

You got a secret formula for fire that burns steel and concrete?

SEALgep
01-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Ya, jet fuel.

Frank the Tank
01-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Ya, jet fuel.

dark humor at its finest!

Daver
01-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Ya, jet fuel.

Kerosene does not burn that hot.

Jet Fuel is basically grade two diesel fuel with conditioner thrown in to make it fluid.

DrCrawdad
01-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
dark humor at its finest!

Daver, the straight man, gets an assist on that.

I luv dark humor!

chisoxmike
01-23-2004, 12:16 AM
Wow, maybe people (Cubs fans, and everybody else in this town) will finally shut up about the park when they are done. Will this really be done by the 2005 season?

HITMEN OF 77
01-23-2004, 12:24 AM
I really like the double upper deck outfield. That's going to be great when that goes in. It will deffinetly give Comiskey the retro feel, with that being in place.

chisoxmike
01-23-2004, 12:25 AM
...is that the initals of the high school you went/are going to???????? If so, I went there too!

PaleHoseGeorge
01-23-2004, 07:49 AM
The Sox have been completely non-committal about exactly what "phase 5" might be. Apparently there are quite a few ideas being considered and practically any combination of these projects might get done next winter, including perhaps a few that haven't even been thought up yet. September is a long way off.

Personally I could care less about the misnamed "home run porch" plan. That's a giant waste of money, IMO. I would much rather see the Sox build the grand entrance (with restaurant/HOF novelty shop) at 35th and Wentworth (immediately opposite the L stop) and rebuild the pedestrian bridge and that butt-ugly pedestrian ramp north side of 35th. This is the part of the ballpark everyone sees as they pass by on the expressway/L line and it is not a pretty sight. Constructing a "monument park" to honor Sox hall-of-famers on the site of Old Comiskey Park would be a nice touch, too.

:reinsy
"What, and lose all those prime parking spaces? NEVER! Do you know how much it cost me to asphalt over that entire site?"

:ohno
"Not one thin dime?"

"Shuddup!"

SSN721
01-23-2004, 08:22 AM
The pics make it look like it will be a very nice park when all is done. I really like the entrace on the third base side and obviously the home run deck looks great. Can't wait until it is all finished. :D:

PINWHEELS
01-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Sox have been completely non-committal about exactly what "phase 5" might be. Apparently there are quite a few ideas being considered and practically any combination of these projects might get done next winter, including perhaps a few that haven't even been thought up yet. September is a long way off.

Personally I could care less about the misnamed "home run porch" plan. That's a giant waste of money, IMO. I would much rather see the Sox build the grand entrance (with restaurant/HOF novelty shop) at 35th and Wentworth (immediately opposite the L stop) and rebuild the pedestrian bridge and that butt-ugly pedestrian ramp north side of 35th. This is the part of the ballpark everyone sees as they pass by on the expressway/L line and it is not a pretty sight. Constructing a "monument park" to honor Sox hall-of-famers on the site of Old Comiskey Park would be a nice touch, too.

"What, and lose all those prime parking spaces? NEVER! Do you know how much it cost me to asphalt over that entire site?"

:ohno
"Not one thin dime?"

"Shuddup!" I Bet that they do build the home run porch to replace the seating they lost from the upper deck. remember it's all about money with JR!

ewokpelts
01-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
I Bet that they do build the home run porch to replace the seating they lost from the upper deck. remember it's all about money with JR!

and he'll charge up the whazzo for the "home run porch"(a name i dont like either)......
Gene

MisterB
01-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
I Bet that they do build the home run porch to replace the seating they lost from the upper deck. remember it's all about money with JR!

Why bother replacing those seats? Everyone knows JR's trying to keep fans away so he won't have to pay rent.

PINWHEELS
01-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
and he'll charge up the whazzo for the "home run porch"(a name i dont like either)......
Gene Yeah for that weekend cubs series!

lths06
01-23-2004, 03:35 PM
yes, lths is my high school

Hangar18
01-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
as you can see, a home run porch upper deck like old comiskey. These were posted on HKS's site but were pulled down.

....Only to be put back up by Hangar18 very recently here. I think
the thread with the pics is around here somewhere, but luckily
a bunch of us saved the pics this time around

chisoxmike
01-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Small world!

hold2dibber
01-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I would love an upper deck in RF (or LF). It would cure two of the beefs I have with the place as it is currently configured. One is that it is too symetrical (sp?) - an upper deck in one of the outfields would solve that. More importantly, however, it would provide a more obvious way to gauge a ding dong dilly of a dinger. There were few things as exciting at the old park as seeing someone crank out a roof shot (I saw Luzinski crank one out once and it was awe inspiring). It would be nice to have the possibility of somebody hitting one into or over the upper deck. Also, I would think that an upper deck in the outfield would be a lot closer to the field than the current "grandstand" upper deck, which would probably provide a pretty cool view of the field.

And as a general matter, I'd prefer enhancements inside the park to those outside the park -- the "grand entrance" does absolutely nothing for me.

nitetrain8601
01-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I would love an upper deck in RF (or LF). It would cure two of the beefs I have with the place as it is currently configured. One is that it is too symetrical (sp?) - an upper deck in one of the outfields would solve that. More importantly, however, it would provide a more obvious way to gauge a ding dong dilly of a dinger. There were few things as exciting at the old park as seeing someone crank out a roof shot (I saw Luzinski crank one out once and it was awe inspiring). It would be nice to have the possibility of somebody hitting one into or over the upper deck. Also, I would think that an upper deck in the outfield would be a lot closer to the field than the current "grandstand" upper deck, which would probably provide a pretty cool view of the field.

And as a general matter, I'd prefer enhancements inside the park to those outside the park -- the "grand entrance" does absolutely nothing for me.

I agree. I've never been a fan of Grand Entrances if it means taking away from the inside of the park. IMO, it's a waste of cash for something you won't see for more than 10 seconds. I think improvement should always start within the park. I would like a HR porch. I also think the Sox should look into making the park open year round for visitors.

Randar68
01-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by nitetrain8601
I agree. I've never been a fan of Grand Entrances if it means taking away from the inside of the park. IMO, it's a waste of cash for something you won't see for more than 10 seconds. I think improvement should always start within the park. I would like a HR porch. I also think the Sox should look into making the park open year round for visitors.

Here's the difference...

Some talks of Phase 5 have included removing all baseball offices (into a new buildinig down the street), removing all the ugly exterior ramps that are ugly, and replacing them with only ground entrances and initernal ramps hidden by the exterior of the park.

The Grand Entrace goes with this idea, and should be coupled with a bar and a restaurant open all the time no matter. Something like a "Shoeless Joe's" or some kind of Nellie's Corner or something...

It makes coming from the expressway and the train much more visually appealinig and enjoyable...

nitetrain8601
01-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Here's the difference...

Some talks of Phase 5 have included removing all baseball offices (into oa new buildinig down thewe street), removing all the ugly exterior ramps that are ugly, and replacing them with only ground entrances and initernal ramps hidden by the exterior of the park.

The Grand Entrace goes with this idea, and should be coupled with a bar and a restaurant open all the time no matter. Something like a "Shoeless Joe's" or some kind of Nellie's corners or something...

It makes coming from the expressway and the train much more appealinig visually and enjoyable...

In that part, I agree with you then. I though you meant just some golden columns at the main entrance and that's it. I like your idea. The Sox have to take the area into their own hands and buy and build. A resteraunt and a bar would be a nice start. Then a HOF place would be nice too.

TornLabrum
01-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Here's the difference...

Some talks of Phase 5 have included removing all baseball offices (into a new buildinig down the street), removing all the ugly exterior ramps that are ugly, and replacing them with only ground entrances and initernal ramps hidden by the exterior of the park.

The Grand Entrace goes with this idea, and should be coupled with a bar and a restaurant open all the time no matter. Something like a "Shoeless Joe's" or some kind of Nellie's Corner or something...

It makes coming from the expressway and the train much more visually appealinig and enjoyable...

I wonder how the Friday's at Miller Park does on non-game days and during the off season. It might be a good idea, especially as the surrounding neighborhoods undergo gentrification, but it would be rather risky, I'd think.

Still I like the idea of the getting rid of the ugly exterior rapms that are ugly, as well as those that are not so ugly. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) I've always considered those to be an eyesore.

Brian26
01-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Still I like the idea of the getting rid of the ugly exterior rapms that are ugly, as well as those that are not so ugly. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) I've always considered those to be an eyesore.

And supposedly an architectural blunder than never should have happened. The fact that they pretty much disguise the arched windows on the new park point towards this being true.

ewokpelts
01-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I wonder how the Friday's at Miller Park does on non-game days and during the off season. It might be a good idea, especially as the surrounding neighborhoods undergo gentrification, but it would be rather risky, I'd think.

I think the Fridays @ Miller Park does "ok" on non-game days/off season...probably no better than a wrigleyville bar when the cubs arent playin'....I do knw that the Milwaukee Entertaiment coupon book offers discounts for it.(any time except games).
Gene

ewokpelts
01-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Mebbe they SHOULD put a sox restaurant in.....either at the "grand entrance" or in the press box area(which was rumoured to be turn into a restaurant earlier).
Gene