PDA

View Full Version : Where's Wally?

DrCrawdad
01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
LINK (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040122soxminors,1,1767533.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Razor Shines is the Birmingham Barron manager for 2004. So, where is Wally Backman? I'm not surprised at all that he's gone from the Sox system after reports that Wally had talked to the Twins Gardenhire about the Twins beating the Sox so that Wally would get the job. So then when Wally got passed over, not surprised to hear that he gone. Where did Wally land?

TornLabrum
01-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
LINK (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040122soxminors,1,1767533.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Razor Shines is the Birmingham Barron manager for 2004. So, where is Wally Backman? I'm not surprised at all that he's gone from the Sox system after reports that Wally had talked to the Twins Gardenhire about the Twins beating the Sox so that Wally would get the job. So then when Wally got passed over, not surprised to hear that he gone. Where did Wally land?

He left the organization a few days ago.

duke of dorwood
01-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Gee, pay dues in the minors, be familiar with some of the young talent in the "organization" and get passed over for the job he was headed for by a first time guy from outside . I'm surprised he was here that long.

Another good baseball man leaves. Williams dismantling of the operation since 2000 just doesnt lose momentum.

Jjav829
01-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Gee, pay dues in the minors, be familiar with some of the young talent in the "organization" and get passed over for the job he was headed for by a first time guy from outside . I'm surprised he was here that long.

Another good baseball man leaves. Williams dismantling of the operation since 2000 just doesnt lose momentum.

He had to go. Regardless of what kind of baseball man he is, when you start calling managers and telling them to beat the team you want to manage, you're done in that organization. He may have had a chance to be here instead of Ozzie, but any chance he had disappeared when he chose to call Gardsy.

Daver
01-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
He may have had a chance to be here instead of Ozzie, but any chance he had disappeared when he chose to call Gardsy.

Now you have me wondering who could be the worst choice,Ozzie or Wally........

Rex Hudler
01-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Daver
Now you have me wondering who could be the worst choice,Ozzie or Wally........

That whole Gardenhire story was crap....

Backman's contract with the Sox ended after last season, so in effect he hasn't been in the Sox organization in a while.

The Sox and Wally parted ways because the Sox couldn't guarantee him a AAA job and passed him over for the White Sox job. He felt he had nothing else to prove at AA.

MrX
01-23-2004, 03:50 AM
Trib Story (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040122soxbackman,1,7931336.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

MikeKreevich
01-23-2004, 09:56 AM
It doesn't sound like an organization I would want to work for. They didn't even call him and tell him he was being let go.

NC_sox_fan
01-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

Wally Backman was NOT "another good baseball man" as far as managers go. He partyed hard, called his players "dogs" in the newspaper when they lost, and set a very poor example for young players to follow. He was arrogant, rude and disrespectful to fans.

Letting Wally Backman leave the Sox organization was the best move the Sox have made in a long time.

SEALgep
01-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by MikeKreevich
It doesn't sound like an organization I would want to work for. They didn't even call him and tell him he was being let go.

Bro, he was calling the Twins manager telling him to beat the Sox so the firing of Manuel would happen, so that he could maybe get the job. He's a piece of s***. I don't want a guy like that, in fact I don't want to call a guy like that to tell him I don't want him.

Rex Hudler
01-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
Wally Backman was NOT "another good baseball man" as far as managers go. He partyed hard, called his players "dogs" in the newspaper when they lost, and set a very poor example for young players to follow. He was arrogant, rude and disrespectful to fans.

Letting Wally Backman leave the Sox organization was the best move the Sox have made in a long time.

That's interesting because that is the exact OPPOSITE way he was here. His players loved playing for him, he never singled any player out in the media and was more than gracious to fans here in Birmingham. Wally did have the occasional drink out at a bar, but that's a baseball thing. Hate to break it to you, but drinkin, smokin and cussin is pretty much the norm with baseball people.

Wally was easily the best game manager I have ever seen and his players loved playing for him. He was a bit arrogant because he knew he was good, but that never caused him any problems. He wasn't arrogant in a way that offended people.

A. Cavatica
01-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Bro, he was calling the Twins manager telling him to beat the Sox so the firing of Manuel would happen, so that he could maybe get the job. He's a piece of s***. I don't want a guy like that, in fact I don't want to call a guy like that to tell him I don't want him.

First of all, he denied it.

Second, if he did call Gardenhire, he was only expressing what we were all thinking about Manuel. He would have been a hell of a better managerial choice than Ozzie.

RKMeibalane
01-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
He had to go. Regardless of what kind of baseball man he is, when you start calling managers and telling them to beat the team you want to manage, you're done in that organization. He may have had a chance to be here instead of Ozzie, but any chance he had disappeared when he chose to call Gardsy.

I agree. Anyone selfish enough to put his own interests ahead of what's best for the organization as a whole shouldn't be a part of said organization. Backman seems like a man who understands the game of baseball, but what he apparently doesn't understand is the importance of both being patient and keeping one's mouth shut.

SEALgep
01-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
First of all, he denied it.

Second, if he did call Gardenhire, he was only expressing what we were all thinking about Manuel. He would have been a hell of a better managerial choice than Ozzie.

Oh he denied it, my bad then. Come on buddy, this wasn't a rash decision. Both scouting directors had the same info and both decided to not keep him. Better than Ozzie, I highly doubt it. I think Ozzie can do very well, especially with all of the coaching staff remaining and behind him.

Mammoo
01-23-2004, 01:05 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040122soxbackman,1,7931336.story?coll=cs-home-headlines (http://)

Mammoo
01-23-2004, 01:07 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040122soxbackman,1,7931336.story?coll=cs-home-headlines