PDA

View Full Version : The enemy speaks

ma-gaga
01-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Pretty good read on the Twins state of mind. (http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4330149.html)

Normally I hate Souhan's "journalistic" style, but this ain't bad. It certainly paints the picture of the 'poor' Twins being stuck in a small market with a cheap owner who won't keep the team together. Mientkiewicz has a very telling quote:

"You never hear the words 'together' and 'White Sox' in the same sentence, and that's why we beat them. Maybe now, with Ozzie Guillen managing, that will change. They were better, 1-through-25, than we've ever been. I'm not an idiot -- I'd take Paul Konerko over Doug Mientkiewicz any day."

Said Buchanan: "So would I."

Said Pierzynski: "Me, too."

Mientkiewicz laughed, then said, "There is something in Chicago that just doesn't work. And there was something in Minnesota that did work, and now it's gone."

beckett21
01-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Gotta love Mint's quote. Maybe the world is not coming to an end after all... :smile:

SEALgep
01-22-2004, 11:38 AM
It sounds like they're giving up on the division already. I know they'll play their hardest regardless, but being somber at the start of the season works out well for us. I think Guillen will provide the unity that the Sox have been looking for. He said he'd talk to everyone on a regular basis, which I think lacked big time with Manuel. It's nice to have the professional approach Manuel would argue for, but you obviously can't underestimate the value in togetherness as Doug intelligently points out.

CubKilla
01-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
Gotta love Mint's quote. Maybe the world is not coming to an end after all... :smile:

He's still a dick.

surfdudes
01-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by beckett21

With all the drastic changes up there, and a whole lotta question marks for us; and K.C. and Detroit making some moves, I have absolutely no idea how this division will shape up. But after reading this, I racheted my hopes up a notch.

voodoochile
01-22-2004, 12:05 PM
You mean Manuel really WAS to blame? NO WAY!

34 Inch Stick
01-22-2004, 12:30 PM
By hiring Ozzie Guillen the Sox created a problem with their future Hall of Famer. Ozzie exacerbated the situation by calling Frank out in his opening press conference.

The Sox have openly shopped their best player this off season.

If you think this team will be close I think you are mistaken. I would not be shocked to see Frank take a swing at Ozzie by the end of the year. I would also be shocked if Magglio was here in August.

SEALgep
01-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Listening to offers and shopping him are completely different. Besides every offer that KW had said he would do were high value trades. Boston would have brought Nomar and Williamson, and the Dodgers would be given up their farm system. I think Maggs understands the business, and appreciates what the Sox think he is worth.

Frank isn't the only guy on the team, unity will be established. Anyway, Guillen and Thomas will conflict at times but will have a mutual respect. If they win, they'll even get along. This isn't about Frank, and even Frank will put the team first. He just wants to win, and if they start to, he'll get on board with Guillen. It all comes down to winning, and the Sox can very much do so. Our question marks don't put us in anymore of a disadvantage than anyone else in the division. If you think otherwise, then you are mistaken.

anewman35
01-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I would also be shocked if Magglio was here in August.

Would you be shocked if the Sox were in the race in August? Because that's quite possible, maybe even likely, and if they are, Magglio isn't going anywhere.

chisoxmike
01-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Mientkiewicz is no fun...what's an offseason without "trash" talking by the Twins and White Sox?

I'm still going to boo him when we play them this season.

Lip Man 1
01-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Can't argue at all with Doug's comments. The Twins have finished better then the Sox for three straight seasons with less talent.

Also in regards to the clubhouse issue, the next WSI Interview speaks with a former Sox broadcaster who has covered the team since the mid 70's. He talks about those problems the past few seasons and they center primarily around one guy (who also had some help from another guy this past year.)

Lip

nodiggity59
01-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Can't argue at all with Doug's comments. The Twins have finished better then the Sox for three straight seasons with less talent.

Also in regards to the clubhouse issue, the next WSI Interview speaks with a former Sox broadcaster who has covered the team since the mid 70's. He talks about those problems the past few seasons and they center primarily around one guy (who also had some help from another guy this past year.)

Lip

Can you be more specific? Or do we have to wait for the article?

chisoxmike
01-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Sounds to me like some people here think the Twins arn't winning the division this season... The White Sox season doesn't have a lot of promis to it....that leaves the Royals. Is it their year?

34 Inch Stick
01-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Would you be shocked if the Sox were in the race in August? Because that's quite possible, maybe even likely, and if they are, Magglio isn't going anywhere.

Yes I would. Two fifths of the starting rotation should not be starting on any major league team. Garland and Loiza are both question marks. Right now I will only feel comfortable with our starter about 40% of the time.

We are weakest where champions are supposed to be strongest. I think Olivo will be much better this year. SS and 2B are average in the field and below average at the plate. CF is a 4-5 outfielder on a good team.

The bullpen has no reliable closer or long reliever.

The manager is inexperienced and was never a person who showed great attention to detail in his playing days.

If this team is over .500 I will be shocked. The lineup you will see in September will be painfull. Olivo, Gload, Harris, Uribe, Crede, Reed, Borchard, Lee and Thomas.

daveeym
01-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
By hiring Ozzie Guillen the Sox created a problem with their future Hall of Famer. Ozzie exacerbated the situation by calling Frank out in his opening press conference.

The Sox have openly shopped their best player this off season.

If you think this team will be close I think you are mistaken. I would not be shocked to see Frank take a swing at Ozzie by the end of the year. I would also be shocked if Magglio was here in August.

Screw the future hall of famer this is the crap that I'm sick of. All the skill, stats, awards and future awards in the world doesn't justify his petulance if it doesn't win this club anything.

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2004, 06:32 PM
As much as I hate that little prick, he is right on.

duke of dorwood
01-22-2004, 06:53 PM
No one is ever sorry to leave here, this quote speaks for many players that are out of this organization, and glad of it

HITMEN OF 77
01-22-2004, 08:09 PM
I wonder what player at Soxfest, will make the remark about how we will be better than the Twins this year?

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I wonder what player at Soxfest, will make the remark about how we will be better than the Twins this year?

:hitless
"I'll set a fielding record that will probably last forever and we're waaaaay better than the Twins... oh, wait... I'm out of baseball."

:)

Jjav829
01-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77

None of them. It will be Ozzie.

Mientkiewicz is right unfortunately. I'm glad to see him admit that the Twins aren't as good as last year.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Duke:

Your comment PERFECTLY describes the situation.

Nodiggity, just wait a few days I think (don't know this for a fact) but the new interview may be up this weekend. I requested that it be up before Sox fest because my guest talks about how he expects Sox fans to be at that weekend get together.

Lip

red faber
01-23-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by anewman35

i'm pretty sure people said it was likely that the sox would be in the race in august 01,and august 02,but it didn't happen.

i'll believe that the sox will be in the race when i see it!!!!!!

and only when i see it!!!!

Iwritecode
01-23-2004, 11:35 AM
You know it's a crappy offseason when there's not even any trash-talking between Doug M. and one of the Sox players...

So ma-gaga, what's the feeling about the Twins up there this year and the AL central in general?

ode to veeck
01-23-2004, 12:39 PM
I'll set a fielding record that will probably last forever and we're waaaaay better than the Twins... oh, wait... I'm out of baseball."

Did I miss something, how the heck did Buddy Lee get bumped from the pathetic Brewers

PaleHoseGeorge
01-23-2004, 12:47 PM
:buddylee
"I was cut... not even the Brewers will have me."

:tool
"A $30 million payroll doesn't go as far as it used to."

ma-gaga
01-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
So ma-gaga, what's the feeling about the Twins up there this year and the AL central in general?

Guarded optimism because of the divisional foes. They won it the last two years with a flawed roster. CHI has regressed, KC Detroit and Cleveland aren't seen as serious threats.

The loss of Colon's 220 innings is ALMOST as significant as the Twins loss of Guardado/Hawkins 140 innings. Leveraged Index says 1.7 * 140 = 238 > 220 but close. But the Twins got back this Joe Nathan guy from SF who should be able to cover 70 of those innings and the sox got back... ?

My problem is that they don't consider KC a threat, and that's a huge mistake. They've made some significant offensive upgrades. If they get consistant pitching, they can/will win this division. I don't know about the sox. They are stuck like the Twins, they don't have the 'payroll' to improve themselves and to keep their best players that they have.

It's all been about suckering the public for the shiney new stadium though. There's some goofy Sports Stadium Commission which has solicited bids from the metro area for a new bb/fb stadia. They are currently reviewing the proposals and the legislature will probably pass some sort of ballpark bill again this year.

Then come the public referendums... :angry: Stupid politicians won't stick their necks out on anything that the public can't veto.