PDA

View Full Version : things could be worse

charlie browned
09-05-2001, 03:55 PM
Entertaining reading about the Carmines in the Boston Globe today:

''Obviously, only certain guys on this team can say something, because their futures here are solid enough,'' Hatteberg said. ''Those are the guys who can speak out. The rest of us, if we speak out, the next thing you know, we're hauling garbage."

Hatteberg, who figures he's at the end of what has been a 10-year run in the organization, has abandoned any pretense of caution. For that reason, he gave free expression to how dimly he views this organization.

''I can't imagine anything worse than what's going on now,'' Hatteberg said. ''It's been chaos the whole year, and when Jimy left, it just took a sharp dropoff in everything.

This was a team that once prided itself on its unity and chemistry.

''We survived on that for a long time,'' Hatteberg said, ''but there's only so much stress you can take. That chemistry has been tested big-time.''

''But you just can't keep functioning like this. I'm surprised we did as well as we did for as long as we did.''

Hatteberg wasn't holding out much hope that things will change any time soon.

''It depends on whether the same people are here. If the same people are in charge, they'll stay the course.''

Hatteberg said that he hopes by next season, he'll be playing somewhere else.

''If you took a poll in this clubhouse,'' one teammate said, ''there would be 25 guys who felt the same way. Well, except for the young guys. They don't know any better. But this is the worst place I've ever been.''

Hatteberg is gone.

He's always hit well against the Sox in Comiskey--he'd be an improvement over Josh Paul.

voodoochile
09-05-2001, 04:09 PM
He has 12 PB and only has thrown out 8 of 99 base stealers this year. How much of that is due to the pitchers he catches and how much is his fault? Curous to hear people's opinions...

Randar68
09-05-2001, 04:14 PM
He has 12 PB and only has thrown out 8 of 99 base stealers this year. How much of that is due to the pitchers he catches and how much is his fault? Curous to hear people's opinions...

Well, with Wakefield and Nomo on that staff starting 40% of the time, and Pedro's wicked stuff, I don't worry too much, but those are still poor numbers. Stealing off Wakefield and Nomo is like finding 100 dollar bill on the street, it's just too easy!

czalgosz
09-05-2001, 04:15 PM
Red Sox catchers are by far and away the worst at catching would-be basestealers in the majors, mainly because their pitchers don't use the slide step (Kerrigan doesn't believe in it) and every other club uses it. but 8 of 99 is horrible. As to the passed balls, I wonder if they are using him as Wakefield's caddy? That would explain the atrocious sb % as well...

charlie browned
09-05-2001, 04:35 PM
I guess he just hits well here. I saw him catch Wakefield earlier this year and it was gruesome.

:boston
"Now Manny's teammates say he repeatedly tells them that all the discord, front-office interference and dysfunctional atmosphere so bother him that he wishes he never signed with Boston in the first place."