PDA

View Full Version : Josh Stewart

gosox3072
01-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Sorry if this is already being talked about but at the end of the Takatsu article on ESPN.com it said that Josh Stewart was invited to training camp. Didn't he get hit in the collarbone last year? I thought he was done. Is there any chance he can come back and pitch as well as he did last year?

SEALgep
01-21-2004, 09:56 PM
I heard he lost feeling in his pitching hand, but that it has been known to be temporary or permenant, depending. I guess he must be doing okay, I hope so anyway. He had a chance to be a pretty decent starter. Besides I wouldn't want his career to end suddenly from something like that. It would be too bad. If he was invited to spring training (which I saw as well) he must be doing better. Glad to hear it, whether he makes the team or not.

Rex Hudler
01-22-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I heard he lost feeling in his pitching hand, but that it has been known to be temporary or permenant, depending. I guess he must be doing okay, I hope so anyway. He had a chance to be a pretty decent starter. Besides I wouldn't want his career to end suddenly from something like that. It would be too bad. If he was invited to spring training (which I saw as well) he must be doing better. Glad to hear it, whether he makes the team or not.

You are correct. His condition was actually diagnosed as a disease (can't recall the name) that limits blood flow to the extremities. This limited his ability to have feeling in his fingers. I am no doctor, but from what I have heard, the condition can be as serious as life threatening, yet at times it can correct itself and basically disappear.

I have no idea what Josh's current situation is and how effectively he will be able to pitch, if at all. The ST invite will help the Sox find out. It is also a reward for a guy who has done everything right in their system and worked his ass off. Giving him a Big League ST invite is a showing of respect for the work he has done. Hopefully, he has full feeling back and there will be no long term effects of the injury.