PDA

View Full Version : Where's Koch going?

doctor30th
01-21-2004, 07:53 PM
I think the Mets signed Looper to be there closer. They still may take him but we would have to take Cedeno back.

If there is any other team out there that needs a closer we would probably have to pay for a good portion of Koch's contract and get "prospects" in return.

munchman33
01-21-2004, 07:54 PM
I think the idea is to keep Koch as a righty in the pen with plenty of upside if he ever figures it out.

Hondo
01-21-2004, 07:55 PM
If we send him to Mars for Bush's colonization of outer space do we get his contract voided?

tanko
01-21-2004, 07:57 PM
According to rotoworld.com the Sox may pay someone it mentions Pittsburgh and Montreal to take Koch. I know I'm in the minority here but I really think Koch will rebound.

doctor30th
01-21-2004, 07:58 PM
I don't think they want his 6 million on the payroll, and will be looking to at least only have to pay a team that takes him 2 mil, unless they take cedeno from the mets.

depy48
01-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by tanko
According to rotoworld.com the Sox may pay someone it mentions Pittsburgh and Montreal to take Koch. I know I'm in the minority here but I really think Koch will rebound.

i agree, i think koch will have a strong season this year. i'll be chanting "bring in billy"

chisoxmike
01-21-2004, 07:59 PM
I think he will too. Not to '02 form, but better than last year.

tanko
01-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I don't think they want his 6 million on the payroll, and will be looking to at least only have to pay a team that takes him 2 mil, unless they take cedeno from the mets.

I'd rather take Cedeno who I don't care for than nothing.

Palehose13
01-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
I think he will too. Not to '02 form, but better than last year.
Could he be any worse?

gosox3072
01-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Could he be any worse?
Beat me to it Palehose

CubKilla
01-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by tanko
I know I'm in the minority here but I really think Koch will rebound.

That will be quite a feat if he does considering he ain't gonna get that 5-7 MPH back that he lost on his fastball. He's gonna have to work on finesse pitching in ST to be anything close to effective. 91-93 MPH laser beams tend to get hit hard and far in the ML's.

mike squires
01-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Koch will be back. Can you imagine if Zero come through? Marte, Zero, if Koch rebounds, Wunsch. Could be an exciting year after all.

lowesox
01-22-2004, 01:24 AM
I don't know if Koch will ever be the player he was in Oakland, but I think he'll be better this year than last. I say keep him around until the trade deadline, then ship him to a contender.

StillMissOzzie
01-22-2004, 02:34 AM
I too think that Billy Koch can rebound from last year's season horribilus . God knows that the arm should be well-rested by now. However, as long as payroll and budget are over-riding concerns, he'd have to be one of the first I'd be willing to jettison.

SMO

gosox41
01-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I don't know if Koch will ever be the player he was in Oakland, but I think he'll be better this year than last. I say keep him around until the trade deadline, then ship him to a contender.

He's got no where to go but up.

Bob

hold2dibber
01-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
That will be quite a feat if he does considering he ain't gonna get that 5-7 MPH back that he lost on his fastball.

Why do you say that? I mean, you might be right, but is there some specific info you have that leads you to this conclusion? I don't think we ever found out what happened to his velocity (mechanics, arm injury, fatigue, chance in mental approach, etc.) so I don't see how anyone can say with confidence that it won't come back.

TheRockinMT
01-22-2004, 12:08 PM
I say we keep Billy Koch. I had no problem earlier with trading him, if we got value. One bad year doesn't mean the end of a career. Billy Koch impresses me as a fierce competitor. He is embarassed with his '03 season and has something to prove. If he is healthy, and it seems he is, we could see a great rebound. I think Marte and Shingo will still be options to close in a ball game depending on the situation. I think Billy might be called on earlier than the 9th, if the situation demands it. I don't give much credence to this role playing stuff. The best comes out when he is needed and that may mean Billy Koch coming to the mound in the 7th or 8th to get somebody out. Conceivably we could have three closers and that ain't a bad thing.

FanOf14
01-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Could he be any worse?

Great minds think alike! :gulp:

beckett21
01-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't think we ever found out what happened to his velocity (mechanics, arm injury, fatigue, chance in mental approach, etc.) so I don't see how anyone can say with confidence that it won't come back.

You may be right, but it is very disconcerting that his velocity just vanished into thin air. Considering that was all he had going for him, that doesn't leave much. Unless he learns how to actually pitch instead of just closing his eyes and throwing as hard as he can, I think he is done. Personally, I hope he gets a few quick saves out of the box and then we can deal him a little easier, or maybe a strong spring. Otherwise we are not going to get any value for him, and I have no confidence in him whatsoever. The knock on him his whole career has been that he just tries to gas guys up, and if he can't do that anymore he is done IMO. History of arm trouble spells trouble here. Put a fork in him.

beckett21
01-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
Conceivably we could have three closers and that ain't a bad thing.

It is if they all suck. :smile:

Iwritecode
01-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Unless he learns how to actually pitch instead of just closing his eyes and throwing as hard as he can, I think he is done.

Personally, I think that's exactly what his problem was last year. I think they messed with his mechanics because they were worried about him injuring himself and that's why he lost the velocity...

mealfred13
01-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by depy48
i agree, i think koch will have a strong season this year. i'll be chanting "bring in billy"

Haha. Reminds me of when I was at the Paniagua Fiasco game last season. Just as we looked like we were about to tank badly, I started chanting "BRING IN THE KOCH!!" Got a pretty good laugh out of the upper deck fans around me...

I also have a feeling he's gonna bounce back this year, even if only as an effective set-up man. I'd still be afraid to see him in there for more than an inning though...

jabrch
01-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mealfred13
Haha. Reminds me of when I was at the Paniagua Fiasco game last season. Just as we looked like we were about to tank badly, I started chanting "BRING IN THE KOCH!!" Got a pretty good laugh out of the upper deck fans around me...

I also have a feeling he's gonna bounce back this year, even if only as an effective set-up man. I'd still be afraid to see him in there for more than an inning though...

We sat in lower boxes for that game. Some guy named Steve threw out the opening pitch. After Paniagua's second batter, I started chanting "BRING IN STEVE" - my section had a blast.

I don't think I will ever see a more painful inning of worthless baseball in my life. I know Cubs fans hurt in the "Bartman Inning" but that wasn't really terrible baseball as much as watching Paniagua. By the end of the inning, I just had that sinking feeling...

hold2dibber
01-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
You may be right, but it is very disconcerting that his velocity just vanished into thin air. Considering that was all he had going for him, that doesn't leave much. Unless he learns how to actually pitch instead of just closing his eyes and throwing as hard as he can, I think he is done. Personally, I hope he gets a few quick saves out of the box and then we can deal him a little easier, or maybe a strong spring. Otherwise we are not going to get any value for him, and I have no confidence in him whatsoever. The knock on him his whole career has been that he just tries to gas guys up, and if he can't do that anymore he is done IMO. History of arm trouble spells trouble here. Put a fork in him.

I completely agree. If he doesn't get that velocity back, I don't think he'll ever be able to recover - he just isn't a guy who seems like he has the make-up or stuff to get the job done without that overpowering heater. My only point was that I don't know why he lost that heater and therefore, I don't know if its possible that it will come back. I'm hopeful it does, because I think that's the only way Koch is going to be any good.

chisoxfan79
01-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
I think he will too. Not to '02 form, but better than last year. you guys are all crazy he lost 10 miles an hour on his fastball between 02&03 and that is his only pitch