jabrch
01-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Marvin Bernard, Bobby Smith, Mike Jackson and Jose Santiago

UN

CLUCKING

BELIEVEABLE

Paulwny
01-21-2004, 06:42 PM
We definately have become bottom feeders in the mlb food chain.

CWSGuy406
01-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Start printing playoff tickets!

Foulke You
01-21-2004, 07:21 PM
I bet they sold 1000 season ticket packages 1 hour after those marquee signings hit the AP wire!

MRKARNO
01-21-2004, 07:30 PM
And now....Takatsu!

http://www.baywell.ne.jp/users/drlatham/baseball/yakult/images/pix/takatsu.jpg

"Wait, Chicago isn't really on the West Coast?"

anewman35
01-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

UN

CLUCKING

BELIEVEABLE

It's almost as bad as when they signed that washed up Loaiza guy last year! Why do they even bother?

jabrch
01-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
It's almost as bad as when they signed that washed up Loaiza guy last year! Why do they even bother?

JR, you can log off now.

Do you think for one second any of those players are CLOSE to what Loaiza was when we signed him? They didn't sign Damian Moss, who at least has some potential. They didn't sign Rick Reed, who at least has a history of success. They didn't sign role players who we can use in spots. They signed roster fodder.

mike squires
01-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Is this the MIke Jackson that used to play in Seattle back in the day? Did he play for philly too? WHere did we get him from?

SoxxoS
01-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Is this the MIke Jackson that used to play in Seattle back in the day? Did he play for philly too? WHere did we get him from?

The scrapheap.

anewman35
01-21-2004, 10:10 PM
JR, you can log off now.

Do you think for one second any of those players are CLOSE to what Loaiza was when we signed him? They didn't sign Damian Moss, who at least has some potential. They didn't sign Rick Reed, who at least has a history of success. They didn't sign role players who we can use in spots. They signed roster fodder.

Come on, nobody thought Loaiza was going to be anything. He was competing with a few others for a 5th starter spot - don't act like he was a big signing at the time...

fquaye149
01-21-2004, 10:24 PM
JR, you can log off now.

weren't you the same guy whining we didn't sign dempster? or do i just have you confused with one of your like-minded naysayers?

you can't have it both ways...

maybe if we keep this up we can be on par with the almighty devil rays...

good grief

jabrch
01-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Come on, nobody thought Loaiza was going to be anything. He was competing with a few others for a 5th starter spot - don't act like he was a big signing at the time...

Nobody said he was a "big signing"

But those four don't even qualify to be tiny little small signings. Come on. Give it up.

jabrch
01-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
weren't you the same guy whining we didn't sign dempster? or do i just have you confused with one of your like-minded naysayers?

you can't have it both ways...

maybe if we keep this up we can be on par with the almighty devil rays...

good grief

Dempster? Not me. Why would I complain about not signing a guy who just had his elbow replaced?

RKMeibalane
01-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Let's just wait and see what happens with these guys. Yes, they suck, but even garbage can made useful in the right situation. It's just a matter of finding a role for each player. Marvin Benard is terrible, but he might give the Sox another option in CF.

I know these signings look bad, but I'm going to hold off on the complaining for a while. I complained too much last season, so I'm going to be quiet for now.

CubKilla
01-22-2004, 12:21 AM

Very true. The big difference between this year and last year though is that, at this time last year, we were hoping for one or two players to come up big. This year, we are hoping for four to six. The odds aren't good and I'll go out on a limb and predict no one will have the impact that Loaiza did in '03 in '04.

Rex Hudler
01-22-2004, 01:30 AM

UN

CLUCKING

BELIEVEABLE

Marvin Bernard was the only new signing of this group. The rest were signed in December.