PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Atmosphere

E Coast Sox Fan
01-21-2004, 06:07 PM
I've been going to Sox games for many years. Since I don't live in the area anymore, the changes in the atmosphere may be more noticeable to me. Last year, when I went to my annual game, it seemed to me that the neighborhood scene around Comiskey was improving. Is that impression correct? Is a bar scene beginning to take hold around Comiskey? If so, where to people go for a pre-game 12 oz. warm-up?

Trivia - Does anyone remember the name of the bar across the street from old Comiskey?

:gulp:

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-21-2004, 06:09 PM
McCuddy's? I wasn't really around back then but I've heard that name thrown around here a lot. It was torn down when the old park was, correct?

maurice
01-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
where to people go for a pre-game 12 oz. warm-up?

Check out this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28092&highlight=francos).

Trivia - Does anyone remember the name of the bar across the street from old Comiskey?

I don't think anybody here over the age of 30 has forgotten McCuddy's.

CubKilla
01-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Last year, when I went to my annual game, it seemed to me that the neighborhood scene around Comiskey was improving. Is that impression correct?

Yes. The Bridgeport area is undergoing gentrification. Another building formerly part of the "Robert Taylor Homes" was being torn down as of today.

In 10 years, Bridgeport will be alot like Wrigleyville..... for better or worse.

Maximo
01-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by maurice
Check out this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28092&highlight=francos).

I don't think anybody here over the age of 30 has forgotten McCuddy's.

To some of us guys back then, Mrs. McCuddy was our mom away from home. On the other hand, now that I think about it, ............McCuddy's was home.

God Speed, Mrs. McCuddy!!!!

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Our pregame warm-up starts over at Schallers(spelling?) over at about 37th and Halsted on the west side of the street. Typical southside bar. Half a dozen picthers of beer and you are all set to wander over to the game. :gulp:
Good food too.

DrCrawdad
01-22-2004, 10:07 AM
...If so, where to people go for a pre-game 12 oz. warm-up?

Punchinellos
234 W 31st St
(312) 326-4013

Great wiseguy watering hole.

Hangar18
01-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Its been a slow but noticable progression the last few years,
esp last year. One thing that burns me up, is just 1 block
west of Comiskey, pass the Viaduct, across from the IDOT
garage, there was a building that was being Rehabbed.
The building had its own parking lot, and I thought for sure,
a Bar/Restaurant was being put there. It became the
Illinois Teachers College. who the heck allowed that
to be put there instead of Zoning it for entertainment?
that was Dumb. who is the alderman there again?

ewokpelts
01-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Hangar,
We need more teachers than we need bars. It's actually great for the neighborhod that something like the Illinois Teacher's College moved in. The area need more year round buisnesses. Otherwise, you end up liek wrigleyville, dead for 5-6 months and no real economic impact aside from baseball. Sides, if the Sox are smart(doubt it), they'd send free tickets to the student teachers and make new fans. And the student teachers can pick up the alcholism needed to endure screaming brats with all teh good neighborhood bars within walking distance of the school.
Gene

ewokpelts
01-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Hangar,
We need more teachers than we need bars. It's actually great for the neighborhod that something like the Illinois Teacher's College moved in. The area need more year round buisnesses. Otherwise, you end up liek wrigleyville, dead for 5-6 months and no real economic impact aside from baseball. Sides, if the Sox are smart(doubt it), they'd send free tickets to the student teachers and make new fans. And the student teachers can pick up the alcholism needed to endure screaming brats with all teh good neighborhood bars within walking distance of the school.
Gene

My post proves that we need more teachers. Look at my wonderful grammar skills.
Gene

soxnut
01-22-2004, 11:09 AM

Hangar, I was disappointed that happened also. But I do agree with others that the teachers college is a good thing too.

There are other opportunities over there as well. That one building---The New Style Shade Company, has got to go. That can be turned into something else, hopefully soon.

It's going to be very interesting over the next few years how things develop around the neighborhood. All of that stuff that is being torn down over on Pershing, I can't wait to see what goes up over on that land. I think it is supposed to be residential.

Does anyone know what that new building is going to be, that is going up on Pershing, near Wentworth and that liquor store. It kind of looks like it might be a gas station. Can anyone confirm? :?:

HITMEN OF 77
01-22-2004, 12:17 PM
These bars are on the other side of the Dan Ryan from Comiskey?

Hangar18
01-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Im not saying Chicago didnt need the Illinois Teachers College.
But 1 block away from Comiskey? And in a spot thats in Prime
Space to help keep people in the neighborhood, instead of driving off and spending their Entertainment Money elsewhere. Anywhere else but why right
there? That part of 35th should be zoned for Entertainment, and Year-Round, evening centered activities. Thats all I said.
Missed the boat on that space

DannyCaterFan
01-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Not only do I remember going into McCuddy's across the street from old Comiskey, but there was another bar next door called "O'Brians".

rmusacch
01-22-2004, 12:36 PM

A Cubs fan?

CubKilla
01-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
These bars are on the other side of the Dan Ryan from Comiskey?

No. Punchinello's is on 31st and Wells. Puffer's is about 33rd-32nd and Halsted. Schaller's Pump is about 37th-38th and Halsted. There's also Jimbo's on 33rd just N or USCF.

soxnut
01-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Im not saying Chicago didnt need the Illinois Teachers College.
But 1 block away from Comiskey? And in a spot thats in Prime
Space to help keep people in the neighborhood, instead of driving off and spending their Entertainment Money elsewhere. Anywhere else but why right
there? That part of 35th should be zoned for Entertainment, and Year-Round, evening centered activities. Thats all I said.
Missed the boat on that space

Yeah you're right. They did miss the boat on that space. There are quite a few other spaces that could have been used for that. I wonder what the zoning is for that area anyway.

On another note about the neighborhood...Is there anyone on this board who has looked into investing in the neighborhood? Or anyone have close ties to someone who is investing or considering investing in Bridgeport-Armor Square?

maurice
01-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
On another note about the neighborhood...Is there anyone on this board who has looked into investing in the neighborhood? Or anyone have close ties to someone who is investing or considering investing in Bridgeport-Armor Square?

It depends on what you mean by "investing." As you can imagine, a number of WSI members own property in the neighborhood and/or are familiar with the real estate market.

soxnut
01-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by maurice
It depends on what you mean by "investing." As you can imagine, a number of WSI members own property in the neighborhood and/or are familiar with the real estate market.

Well, does anyone own vacant property or other that has caught a developers interest? Or has anyone purchased property that they plan on developing? And those that do own, have property values/taxes gone up?

I'm just curious about the neighborhood because I want it to do well. It has been dogged for a while in the media, and I think it's a decent neighborhood. But, I do think some of Halsted needs an overhaul. And hopefully something good will come out of the land at the southwest corner of Halsted and Pershing. Looks like that area has the possiblity to get a Wal-Mart or Target, considering there seems to be residential starting to pop-up around there.

maurice
01-22-2004, 02:34 PM
From what I hear, most of Pershing is slated for residential development, similar to what is occurring on Normal and Parnell (though I agree that a Target, Home Depot, Jewel, etc. would be a great fit). New, large, single-family homes in the area are selling for more than $1 million, about twice what a similar home went for as recently as 2000. Smaller homes and condos have experienced similar appreciation in the past eight years. All of the better and newer properties near the ballpark sell for more than $300K, but places in need of rehab still can be had for less than that.

The vicinity of 35th/Halsted is slated for commercial and mixed-use development. There appears to be a high demand for condos and people are jumping in now while prices are relatively affordable. Commercial growth can be expected to follow fairly quickly. I expect that 35th and Halsted will be unrecognizable five to ten years from now. As previously mentioned, that's both good and bad, but from a pure business standpoint, it's very, very good.

Maximo
01-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by DannyCaterFan
Not only do I remember going into McCuddy's across the street from old Comiskey, but there was another bar next door called "O'Brians".

Legend has it that when the Yankee teams from the 20's were in town, Babe Ruth would sneak out of the dugout, exit through the visitor's clubhouse and stop in for a 'cold one and a smoke' between innings in those two bars.

soxnut
01-22-2004, 02:59 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by maurice
From what I hear, most of Pershing is slated for residential development (though I agree that a Target, Home Depot, Jewel, etc. would be a great fit). New, large, single-family homes in the area are selling for more than $1 million, about twice what a similar home went for as recently as 2000. Smaller homes and condos have experienced similar appreciation in the past eight years. All of the better and newer properties near the ballpark sell for more than $300K, but places in need of rehab still can be had for less than that

The vicinity of 35th/Halsted is slated for commercial and mixed-use development. There appears to be a high demand for condos and people are jumping in now while prices are relatively affordable. Commercial growth can be expected to follow fairly quickly. I expect that 35th and Halsted will be unrecognizable five to ten years from now. As previously mentioned, that's both good and bad, but from a pure business standpoint, it's very, very good.

I am surprised to hear you quote homes for $1 million...wow :cool:

I thought someone on this board had mentioned a few months ago that there was going to be a grondreaking for a condo development, that would also house a Caribou Coffee and a Gale Street Inn on Halsted. Haven't heard or seen anything since. Anyone know? :?:

I think that Ramova Theater should be refurbished, I bet that would look great. I've heard it's for sale, as a rehab project or it can be completely torn down(hope they don't do that)

Well anyway, I think any development is a good thing. And as a Sox fan, I think it's a great thing. I know Sox fans don't want the Wrigley-type crowd at our ballpark, but of course we're going to get some of that once the neighborhood grows more. But to me that's ok, because those people are still needed($$$$$). But I wouldn't want it to get to a situation where the park gets filled and fans get duped for 20 years and have no sense of what's going on. But I'll take their cash if it means getting and keeping FA's :smile: [/QUOTE]

Oh.........and thanks Maurice :D:

maurice
01-22-2004, 03:20 PM
I am surprised to hear you quote homes for $1 million...wow :cool:

I was surprised too, but you won't hear me complain.

Here's a sample (http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?snum=5&mlsttl=Chicago&frm=bycomm&pgnum=1&mls=chicago&js=on&poe=realtor&st=il&areaid=1003332&typ=1&mnprice=800000&mxprice=99999999&mnbed=0&mnbath=0&ss_mitm=n%2Fa&sid=0230FA7B9AA5C&snumxlid=1033358084&lnksrc=00002) of a really big house on a fairly small lot. It appears that the big ones closer to the park sold so quickly that they never were listed.

HITMEN OF 77
01-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Isn't the old Playboy mansion right around there too on 34th?

DrCrawdad
01-22-2004, 11:43 PM

Playboy mansion on 34th St? Is this a joke?

ewokpelts
01-22-2004, 11:48 PM

THAT'S near the Gold Coast...a stone's throw from the cardinal's mansion....
Gene

HITMEN OF 77
01-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Playboy mansion on 34th St? Is this a joke?

Someone once told me the mansion was right by Comiskey. The large red brick mansion style house on the corner? I guess it was joke, I fell for it. :smile:

ewokpelts
01-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Someone once told me the mansion was right by Comiskey. The large red brick mansion style house on the corner? I guess it was joke, I fell for it. :smile:

if not THE mansion..then mebbe another one of thier buildings
Gene

CubKilla
01-23-2004, 02:57 PM

I think you're thinking of the building owned by IIT on 33rd St. just E of the Metra tracks.