PDA

View Full Version : another marketing peeve

mike squires
01-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I realize the WhiteSox have less of a following than the Cubs and Cardinals. However it's frustrating to see teams like the Cubs and Cardinals make stops by the surrounding areas. The Cardinals just came to the Champaign area with some pitchers and Habrosky (sp?) You would think the Sox would at least attempt to reach out to fans around the area. I would love to go see a Wunsch, Rowand and Olivo talk and get a few autographs. I don't know, you wonder why the Cardinals and Cubs have such fan loyalty that far exceeds the Sox.

I must say however from what I have seen the Sox have a much better winter fest than a lot of teams.

I remember my old barber told me Luzinski, Joe Mconnell and some others stopped by the small town of Goodland, In. once.

daveeym
01-21-2004, 02:00 PM
The sox through their summer camps do have players make appearences. So they are making an effort to reach the kiddies, but you're right, I've never heard of them doing any general public appearences like that.

Iwritecode
01-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I realize the WhiteSox have less of a following than the Cubs and Cardinals. However it's frustrating to see teams like the Cubs and Cardinals make stops by the surrounding areas. The Cardinals just came to the Champaign area with some pitchers and Habrosky (sp?) You would think the Sox would at least attempt to reach out to fans around the area. I would love to go see a Wunsch, Rowand and Olivo talk and get a few autographs. I don't know, you wonder why the Cardinals and Cubs have such fan loyalty that far exceeds the Sox.

I must say however from what I have seen the Sox have a much better winter fest than a lot of teams.

I remember my old barber told me Luzinski, Joe Mconnell and some others stopped by the small town of Goodland, In. once.

Kelly Wunsch has been to Rockford. The only problem is that it was when he was in the Brewers minor league organization. The team is called the Beloit Snappers. The Rockford team at the time was probably *bleh* The Cubbies... :(:

I actually mentioned it to him once at Soxfest and he said he remembered being there. :D:

HITMEN OF 77
01-21-2004, 02:16 PM
IMO the Cardinals have as many if not more fans than the Sox in Illinois. I know my grandpa and uncle in Bradley are HUGE Card's fans. May be the farther south from Chicago the more Card fans there are?

ewokpelts
01-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
IMO the Cardinals have as many if not more fans than the Sox in Illinois. I know my grandpa and uncle in Bradley are HUGE Card's fans. May be the farther south from Chicago the more Card fans there are?

more to do witha winning tradtition, perhaps?

HITMEN OF 77
01-21-2004, 02:24 PM
That very well could be too. I know my grandpa loved the '67 and '68 Cards teams and my uncle loved the early to mid 80's teams.

Hangar18
01-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
"I realize the WhiteSox have less of a following than the Cubs and Cardinals...."

".....you wonder why the Cardinals and Cubs have such fan loyalty that far exceeds the Sox."

First part of this statement is a Perfect Example of a KILEY-ISM.
A Kiley-ism is a statement made that may not be necessarily true, often to suggest to the reader/listener that it is indeed the case. "journalist" Mike Kiley of the sun-times uses this trick many times in his stories relegating them as merely Cub Fluff or "Cubpoganda".

Second part of the statement is easily explained. Cardinals have a Following Because they Year after Year, put a Good Solid Team out there, and spend the money for its fans. The Team is competitive year after year, giving the fans reason to hope in the offseason. The team doesnt blame its fans for its own mistakes. The Other team thats 8miles north, is Popular because of the Media Exposure and constant CubPoganda and numerous CubFluff stories used to promote the team. Having a "good" season (being 3-5 games over .500 is good in the NL)
only Heightens the Excitement and Hysteria for that team. theyve actually made themselves much better in the offseason, which makes it That much harder for the SOX to get any attention

Hangar18
01-21-2004, 02:27 PM
SOrry squires, wasnt Lighting you up, just wanted to
point out a KILEY-ISM

Hangar18
01-21-2004, 02:32 PM
The White Sox FanBase Problems are all a Combination of
The Media Hand-Selecting the Cubs and Sensationalizing
their sub-500 teams for years, while the Backward Thinking
WhiteSox Chose to alienate its own fans and cheat themselves
of winning teams instead of spending $$$$ to get over the hump.

You put those 2 factors together, and you've got a
Recipe for Disaster. Stir over low heat, let fans simmer

HITMEN OF 77
01-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Second part of the statement is easily explained. Cardinals have a Following Because they Year after Year, put a Good Solid Team out there, and spend the money for its fans. The Team is competitive year after year, giving the fans reason to hope in the offseason. The team doesnt blame its fans for its own mistakes.

Aren't the Cardinals fans recognized the best fans of baseball?

:blockhead

No! The San Diego fans are the best, I'm still treated like a hero when I go back there.

Tekijawa
01-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Second part of the statement is easily explained. Cardinals have a Following Because they Year after Year, put a Good Solid Team out there, and spend the money for its fans. The Team is competitive year after year, giving the fans reason to hope in the offseason. The team doesnt blame its fans for its own mistakes. The Other team thats 8miles north, is Popular because of the Media Exposure and constant CubPoganda and numerous CubFluff stories used to promote the team. Having a "good" season (being 3-5 games over .500 is good in the NL)
only Heightens the Excitement and Hysteria for that team. theyve actually made themselves much better in the offseason, which makes it That much harder for the SOX to get any attention

Not to mention that there's really nothing else to do down in St. Louis in the Summer for about a 300 mile radius

mike squires
01-21-2004, 02:50 PM
I hear you guys~But, Take the Cards and Cubs out of the picture. I guess my main point is the Sox should do more to reach out to their fans during the off season. Work at making a few along the way. The Sox should expand their Soxfest and have a few coaches/lesser knowns to Champaign, Springfield, Kankakee etc...It's just frustrating to see Cardinal pictures of players signing autographs in the paper here in Champaign. The Sox are closer!!! The Sox just like in so many other areas fail to do what they need to do to keep/draw fans.

ewokpelts
01-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Not to mention that there's really nothing else to do down in St. Louis in the Summer for about a 300 mile radius

except parrrty with nelly

munchman33
01-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77

That's absolutely true. In fact, most of southern and central Illinois is closer to St. Louis than Chicago. It's their fanbase, not ours. They even get the St. Louis television feeds.

HITMEN OF 77
01-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
except parrrty with nelly

LOL!! :)

anewman35
01-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
That's absolutely true. In fact, most of southern and central Illinois is closer to St. Louis than Chicago. It's their fanbase, not ours. They even get the St. Louis television feeds.

In Champaign, it's a big of a mixed bag. Things mostly favor St. Louis, but not always. If the Rams and Bears had games the same time, we'd get the Rams game. Things like Coke can promotions and McDonald's promotions always followed St. Louis, not Chicago. However, we got Fox Sports Chicago instead of whatever local sports channel they have there...

But, yes, the Sox are certainly the third most popular team in central Illinois, well behind the other two.

HaroldFan
01-21-2004, 05:46 PM
The White Sox winter caravan used to travel through central Illinois but they stopped going down there around 1990. The official explanation at the time was that they felt they had too few fans there and they wanted to concentrate more on closer to home. I never attended a Cubs or Cards appearance and therefore can't make a comparison, but the Sox appearances in Champaign in the 80s were not badly attended.

misty60481
01-21-2004, 06:00 PM
I think the SOX have more fans in Indiana from what I"ve heard they do radio broadcasts in quite a few IND. towns.