PDA

View Full Version : CF next season

Tree
09-05-2001, 08:15 AM
I remember before the season started that there was talk of the whitesox trading for Doug Glanville from the Phillies to play CF. I was thinking maybe that might not be a bad Idea or maybe trying to sign Johnny Damon. I was thinking that we could trade Lee or Konerko towards Glanville and then try Rowand at left. But I think either Glanville or Damon would be a better leadoff hitter than Durham. Ideally I think Durham would be better suited for 2nd in the order.
Think of this lineup

CF - Glanville/Damon
2B - Ray Durham
DH - Frank Thomas
RF - Magglio Ordonez
1B - Lee/Konerko
SS - Jose Valentin
LF - Aaron Rowand
3B - Joe Crede
C - Paul/Johnson

Not too shabby in my opinion

charlie browned
09-05-2001, 10:56 AM
why are you a fan of Glanville? He's 31 (Chris Singleton is two years younger); he's batting .270 (.288 career) (Singleton .302 this year and .283 lifetime); Singleton has a better career slugging percentage and OBA.

Glanville might have a little stronger arm, but that's about it.
Why give up Singleton for someone very similar who's two years older?

Tree
09-05-2001, 11:09 AM
I was just thinking of who would be decent in CF. Personally I dont think that we need a new CF really. If we could get Kendall from the Pirates we would solve two issues leadoff and Catcher. The question is what would it take to get him. Once this team is heathly the only thing it needs is a more reliable leadoff hitter. Maybe when Thomas is back they will take more walks.

dimaisback
09-05-2001, 11:16 AM
Especially if Wells is coming back, Sox will never pay Damon.
It was a mistake not to trade Parque, Baldwin and Parry in the off-season since they will never be as valuable as in wunder of 2000/2001,,,Singleton is a poor hitter who occasinally goes on hot streaks ala Ray. His OBP is still only .330 (about average for a non-power-hitter, I guess). Meanwhile Rowand's OBP is .400---higher than Maggs and Canseco). He is a starter base-runner than Singleton and is about the same defense wise considering poor routes than singleton tends to take ocassionally.

I say, if A's wwant to have a piece of Singleton and Parque just get rid of Damon do it. If not, then package him somewhere else to free up a spot for Aaron...until Borchard is ready.

Soxboyrob
09-05-2001, 12:40 PM
I've heard that the Sox have expressed interest in attaining Roger Cedeno of the Tigers to play CF and bat leadoff for them next season. Anyone happen to know if he's going to be a free agent? He's been around for about 6-7 years, hence my thinking that he might available via Free Agency. If they actually do sign the guy via FA, we'd obviously have some trades in store to unload some of our current outfielders and OF prospects.

Randar68
09-05-2001, 01:16 PM
I've heard that the Sox have expressed interest in attaining Roger Cedeno of the Tigers to play CF and bat leadoff for them next season. Anyone happen to know if he's going to be a free agent? He's been around for about 6-7 years, hence my thinking that he might available via Free Agency. If they actually do sign the guy via FA, we'd obviously have some trades in store to unload some of our current outfielders and OF prospects.

Well, he is definitely going to be an UFA after this season, and there has already been allegations of tampering raised against the Yankees, but nothing formal.

From what I understand, he's asking for some hefty $$$'s....

Iguana775
09-05-2001, 05:03 PM
hasnt he stolen like 60 bases so far???? is that the guy i am thinking of??? if so, i say go for it. it would be awesome to have a base stealing threat like that.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-05-2001, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
hasnt he stolen like 60 bases so far???? is that the guy i am thinking of??? if so, i say go for it. it would be awesome to have a base stealing threat like that.

Hey, we get Cedeno for CF and lead-off man. That means Ray can drop to the #7 or #8 slot where I'm sure he'll do much better than dealing with the expectations of being #1. It also strengthens the bottom-third of our order.

This doesn't solve our shortstop situation, but I'm not even going to comment on that!

:)

FarWestChicago
09-05-2001, 05:32 PM
This doesn't solve our shortstop situation, but I'm not even going to comment on that!

I say you take The Choice, The Fire Hydrant and The Heart and Soul, trade the worst one and start the other two. So Manos is playing one position. Who goes? Choice or Hydrant?

voodoochile
09-05-2001, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

I say you take The Choice, The Fire Hydrant and The Heart and Soul, trade the worst one and start the other two. So Manos is playing one position. Who goes? Choice or Hydrant?

To me the "Choice" is obvious...

FarWestChicago
09-05-2001, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

To me the "Choice" is obvious...

Believe it or not, I did not intentionally set you up for that one.