PDA

View Full Version : New Spring Invites

SEALgep
01-21-2004, 11:51 AM
I know Darensbourg and Person, anybody know the other guys?

Chicago White Sox Agreed to terms with pitchers Vic Darensbourg, Mike Jackson, Robert Person and Jose Santiago; infielders Mike Bell, Kelly Dransfeldt and Bobby Smith; and outfielder Marvin Benard on minor-league contracts with invitations to spring training.

Frater Perdurabo
01-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep

Chicago White Sox Agreed to terms with pitchers Vic Darensbourg, Mike Jackson, Robert Person and Jose Santiago; infielders Mike Bell, Kelly Dransfeldt and Bobby Smith; and outfielder Marvin Benard on minor-league contracts with invitations to spring training.

The Sox almost have half of the A.L.'s full starting nine for the 2004 All Star Game!

CubKilla
01-21-2004, 12:06 PM

Still think Gallas and Co. are taking Season Ticket orders or could they be completely sold out due to the high quality of offseason acquisitions and USCF renovations?

:chunks

poorme
01-21-2004, 12:10 PM
This is kind of weird. I predicted Benard would be the big signing in this thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27712&highlight=benard)

Palehose13
01-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Easy on the puke pic. I just ate lunch!

Mickster
01-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Here is a detailed link from Yahoo sports. :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=whitesoxmoves&prov=st&type=lgns

thepaulbowski
01-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by poorme
This is kind of weird. I predicted Benard would be the big signing in this thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27712&highlight=benard)

Maybe he challenge for the CF spot?

rmusacch
01-21-2004, 12:38 PM

Anyone know who the seven are that received invites from our farm system? The only ones I saw listed were Jeremy Reed, Carlos Castillo and Ryan Kohlmeier.

SEALgep
01-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Anyone know who the seven are that received invites from our farm system? The only ones I saw listed were Jeremy Reed, Carlos Castillo and Ryan Kohlmeier. [/QUOTE]

Diaz, Cotts, Rauch, and a couple other pitchers were invited.

beckett21
01-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Maybe he challenge for the CF spot?

Putting Marvin Bernard in CF would be a disaster. Why waste time with a guy who has been a below-average journeyman his whole career instead of finding out what the guys we have now can do? It has been established already that Bernard can't cut it.

And still thinking about that Phillies thread, I think a lot of people are underestimating Marlon Byrd. The guy is a 5 tool stud--that is the kind of guy I would take a shot on in CF, not a retread like Bernard.

MisterB
01-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Diaz, Cotts, Rauch, and a couple other pitchers were invited.

Those 3 are already on the 40-man roster.

Having seen Benard up close for several years, I can honestly say I'd rather see Rowand playing CF. (and that's NOT an endorsement of Crash BTW...) Hell, I'd rather see Singleton back out there than Benard.

rmusacch
01-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Anyone know who the seven are that received invites from our farm system? The only ones I saw listed were Jeremy Reed, Carlos Castillo and Ryan Kohlmeier.

Diaz, Cotts, Rauch, and a couple other pitchers were invited. [/QUOTE]

They were already on the 40 man. They do not count.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Marvin Benard = Armando Rios of 2004. garbage pickup from sanfran that will not help the club.

quade36
01-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Mike Jackson may turn out to be the best of these signings. He had 40 saves a couple of years ago for cleveland

MarkEdward
01-21-2004, 03:10 PM
No real interesting players here, in my opinion.

Darensbourg: Hasn't pitched very well in the majors (83 ERA+ in about 274 innings). Decent minor league numbers, but he's nothing more than a below-average LOOGY. We have much better options throughout the organization.

Person: Good K rate throughout his career, but also gives up a lot of walks and homers. Even if he overcomes the affects of his injury, he's probably nothing more than a fifth starter (only pitched over 200 innings once in nine ML seasons). I wouldn't mind seeing him pitch in the pen, though.

Jackson: I gave my thoughts on him before. Considering his declining K rate and the fact that he didn't pitch in 2003, I don't see him making the team. Here's hoping he has a good spring, makes the team, and continues to move up on the all-time "games pitched" list.

Santiago: Will probably fight with Ginter for a spot in the pen.

Bell: Charlotte fodder.

Dransfeldt: Bleh. Should be Birmingham fodder, but will probably play for the Knights. Might even win the second base job there.

Bobby Smith: Ultra-utility fielder (has played every position except for pitcher, catcher, and center in his career). He's hit somewhat well in the minors, but I don't think he'll beat out Uribe for the utility infielder roster spot. Think Willie Harris without the speed.

Benard: Most intriguing name on the list, in my opinion. Hit pretty well in his prime (above average OBP, some pop), although he's most likely way past his prime (OBPs since 1999: .359, .342, .320, .321, .273). I think he has a good chance to win a back-up outfield spot, along with Joe Borchard. I don't think he has much left to contribute, but maybe he'll prove me wrong. Eerily similar to the Armando Rios signing of 2003. Can Calvin Murray be far behind?

Oddly enough, two of the players signed yesterday (Benard and Darensbourg) went to Lewis-Clark State University.

pudge
01-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Is that THE Carlos Castillo who was a fat-blob pitcher for us in the '90s?

wilburaga
01-21-2004, 03:50 PM
The seven minor leaguers invited to spring training are pitchers Carlos Castillo, Ryan Kohlmeier and Josh Stewart, catchers Jonathan Aceves and Carlos Maldonado, and outfielders Jeremy Reed and Mario Valenzuela.

W