PDA

View Full Version : Nothing like good ol' market value

SoxxoS
01-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Soriano agrees to 5.4 million dollar deal with Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1713506)

Thank goodness we locked up Valentin at 5.0 million. I thought we were going to lose him.

This is rediculous. Soriano, a potential 40-40 guy, is making $400,000 more than a platoon player that doesn't hit for average and doesn't make it up in the field. What a joke.

Tekijawa
01-20-2004, 03:10 PM
But he's a Clubhouse leader!!! and he and his agent were the squeekiest wheel this offseason!

beckett21
01-20-2004, 03:15 PM
His big payday comes next year. He is still getting a nice raise, and he is only locked in for one season. Definitely a good deal for the Yankees, but they will have to pay him next year to keep him. Once he can file for free-agency, he will have some leverage. Right now he doesn't have that luxury so he pretty much had to take the deal.

jeremyb1
01-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Players don't earn as much money when arbitration elligible as they do when they're free agent elligible. That's the way the market works. Look at how much Buehrle is making next year. He'd certainly command more on the open market, don't you think? Additionally, the Sox didn't have the option of signing Soriano for 5.4 million. Their best alternative if they didn't pick up Jose's option would've been to trade for Carlos Guillen who isn't a great deal cheaper than Jose and doesn't perform as well.

Tekijawa
01-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Their best alternative if they didn't pick up Jose's option would've been to trade for Carlos Guillen who isn't a great deal cheaper than Jose and doesn't perform as well.

Or let Uribe play and use the extra 4.5 million to sign a second baseman

SoxxoS
01-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Players don't earn as much money when arbitration elligible as they do when they're free agent elligible. That's the way the market works. Look at how much Buehrle is making next year. He'd certainly command more on the open market, don't you think? Additionally, the Sox didn't have the option of signing Soriano for 5.4 million. Their best alternative if they didn't pick up Jose's option would've been to trade for Carlos Guillen who isn't a great deal cheaper than Jose and doesn't perform as well.

I understand how the contracts work, but even for Soriano's to be within 2 million of the HIGHLY overpaid Valentin is criminal.

jeremyb1
01-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Or let Uribe play and use the extra 4.5 million to sign a second baseman

Uribe posted a .660 OPS on road last season. I highly doubt Harris will perform much worse than that. Additionally, that assumes we could've signed a player that is as good a 2B as Jose is a SS for 4.5 million.

TheRockinMT
01-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Jose has been an established player much longer than Soriano. He also doesn't play in NY where every Tom, Dick and Jason Giambi player get paid way to much.

Jose is a fine SS and performs well. I am sorry we traded Miles because everytime I read an article saying he might put up All-Star numbers in Coors Field and we have light hitting Uribe I cringe. But, it's January. Let's withhold judgement till at least June.

StepsInSC
01-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
Jose has been an established player much longer than Soriano. He also doesn't play in NY where every Tom, Dick and Jason Giambi player get paid way to much.

So are you saying Soriano is overpaid at that price?