PDA

View Full Version : Not Again.... ARod deal alive?

fledgedrallycap
01-20-2004, 09:41 AM
per ESNP Radio and CBS.Sportsline, where's Otis?

"Get your names ready (idiot, moron, whatever), because I'm got the "stones" to open myself up to second-guessing and bull****...

The Arod to Boston talks will resume this week..."Talking Baseball with Bruce Levine" (ESPN AM1000 in Chicago) had Commissioner Selig on and Bruce told Bud that his sources were saying that both Texas and Boston were rady to resume discussions for getting this done before the season starts...

Selig did not seem the least bit surprised and laid down parameters for how the Commissioner's office would get involved, if necessary, to work with the Players' Union or anybody else if the two sides can agree...as Selid said, "it's not against the rules for teams to talk about trades"...

What was interesting was that SELIG commented that this potential trade had implications for other teams...and he specifically referred to the Chicago White Sox...my opinion?...you can throw the Dodgers and Mets, potentially, into that mix, also...

I'm not saying a trade will get done...but, I am saying that it is not "dead"...and this will become public soon or it won't...if I'm wrong I'll sand up and take it...but,I think it's the "deal is dead" guys who are going to be eating their words... "

soxfan26
01-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

The Arod to Boston talks will resume this week...

Make the bad men stop

gcgill2
01-20-2004, 09:58 AM
I have no problem with this as long as they just reach a deal quickly! If an agreement cannot be reached within a week or two end all talks. :payrod

soxfan26
01-20-2004, 10:23 AM
According to rotoworld.com the Red Sox are talking to Tony Womack (http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?sport=MLB&page=players&x=5158&y=0) about a minor league contract

What does it all mean???

Randar68
01-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Make the bad men stop

Here is where it makes sense...

They couldn't come up with any creative solutions within the imposed deadline, so they take it offline, do some research, talk to the MLBPA, study the contracts more closely, work out the money more explicitly, then, if they come back with something, both teams come back with more defined guidelines and requirements and proposals.

Makes a lot fo sense, and if anyone really thought this thing was completely DEAD when they said it was... I've got some swampland in... nevermind...

gosox41
01-20-2004, 11:32 AM

"Get your names ready (idiot, moron, whatever), because I'm got the "stones" to open myself up to second-guessing and bull****...

The Arod to Boston talks will resume this week..."Talking Baseball with Bruce Levine" (ESPN AM1000 in Chicago) had Commissioner Selig on and Bruce told Bud that his sources were saying that both Texas and Boston were rady to resume discussions for getting this done before the season starts...

Selig did not seem the least bit surprised and laid down parameters for how the Commissioner's office would get involved, if necessary, to work with the Players' Union or anybody else if the two sides can agree...as Selid said, "it's not against the rules for teams to talk about trades"...

What was interesting was that SELIG commented that this potential trade had implications for other teams...and he specifically referred to the Chicago White Sox...my opinion?...you can throw the Dodgers and Mets, potentially, into that mix, also...

I'm not saying a trade will get done...but, I am saying that it is not "dead"...and this will become public soon or it won't...if I'm wrong I'll sand up and take it...but,I think it's the "deal is dead" guys who are going to be eating their words... "

I always said the deal would get done. There's too many parties that want it to happen for it not to.

Bob

CubKilla
01-20-2004, 11:51 AM

Why do you feel it necessary to rip a guy that brought the deal to WSI and White Sox fans before the sports media even knew about it or reported it? Many posters at other White Sox boards, not just here, ripped HSC more than a year ago when she offered up the Botch for Foulke trade a few days before it happened. When it happened, there were no apologies to her for all the sniping she endured, just alot of, 'Botch and Foulke were involved but it wasn't a straight up deal like she said it would be so she doesn't know what she's talking about.' (To those that did apologize, you should be commended.) Then she brought another rumor she heard to the boards after being publically ripped on the Botch/Foulke deal, and I know for a fact that she wasn't the only person with connections that heard that KW was either going to resign or step down, and the same people ripped her again. Only this time, they had a field day when KW didn't resign or step down during the timeline she offered up.

Because certain people with no media credentials and no behind-the-scene connections feel it necessary to publically rip a poster who offers something of substance to a messageboard other than the typical opinion and stat banter, even if it is rumor, is reason enough that I hope Otis decides to go the route of HSC, Steff, and others and never post any rumblings between the Red/White Sox or any other team for that matter again.

Real "stones" bud.

Palehose13
01-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Why do you feel it necessary to rip a guy that brought the deal to WSI and White Sox fans before the sports media even knew about it or reported it? Many posters at other White Sox boards, not just here, ripped HSC more than a year ago when she offered up the Botch for Foulke trade a few days before it happened. When it happened, there were no apologies to her for all the sniping she endured, just alot of, 'Botch and Foulke were involved but it wasn't a straight up deal like she said it would be so she doesn't know what she's talking about.' (To those that did apologize, you should be commended.) Then she brought another rumor she heard to the boards after being publically ripped on the Botch/Foulke deal, and I know for a fact that she wasn't the only person with connections that heard that KW was either going to resign or step down, and the same people ripped her again. Only this time, they had a field day when KW didn't resign or step down during the timeline she offered up.

Because certain people with no media credentials and no behind-the-scene connections feel it necessary to publically rip a poster who offers something of substance to a messageboard other than the typical opinion and stat banter, even if it is rumor, is reason enough that I hope Otis decides to go the route of HSC, Steff, and others and never post any rumblings between the Red/White Sox or any other team for that matter again.

Real "stones" bud.

I agree with you 100%, but I didn't take fledge's post as a rip on otis.

34 Inch Stick
01-20-2004, 11:58 AM
It didn't sound like a rip on Otis to me. Correct me if I am wrong but fledge is quoting an ESPN forum and asking if Otis knows anything about it.

But yeah, your point is well taken. I hope people with good inside information don't post here either. It's not interesting even when it is wrong. 34 doesn't work in teal if the sarcasm is not obvious enough.

fledgedrallycap
01-20-2004, 12:02 PM

Real "stones" bud.

Easy there big fella, I mentioned Otis to possiblly confirm or deny this rumor; not to ridicule or demoralize our faithful Boston informant.

fledgedrallycap
01-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
It didn't sound like a rip on Otis to me. Correct me if I am wrong but fledge is quoting an ESPN forum and asking if Otis knows anything about it.

That is correct, the quotes are pulled from a message forum on CBS.sportsline.com

bestkosher
01-20-2004, 12:12 PM
this is a pr plow by baseball, to keep its name alive during the super bowl period, it will end the same way as before, but it wil lstir up news in the media on baseball other than a few 1 yrs signings hear ahd there

habibharu
01-20-2004, 12:14 PM
this is real. i heard levine say last night that he expects talks to resume later this week in NY

fledgedrallycap
01-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
this is a pr plow by baseball, to keep its name alive during the super bowl period, it will end the same way as before, but it wil lstir up news in the media on baseball other than a few 1 yrs signings hear ahd there

If that is the case, it will just cause more damage. The previous talks left everyone with such an empty/disappointed feeling; if baseball goes public with this (which they haven't yet outside of some rumors), then I think this deal has to go through for the good of the game.

Fenway
01-20-2004, 12:22 PM
Pats in Super Bowl yawn

WEEI has been on this all morning

stop the madness

throw in that MLB.com was selling A-Rod Red Sox shirts last night, they have since pulled the file

www.bostondirtdogs.com has a screen capture

Originally posted by bestkosher

CubKilla
01-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Easy there big fella, I mentioned Otis to possiblly confirm or deny this rumor; not to ridicule or demoralize our faithful Boston informant.

If that's the case and I took it out of context, I'm sorry.

Rex Hudler
01-20-2004, 12:33 PM
The best thing that could happen to baseball is to let ARod rot in Texas on a losing team for the next several years.

It would certainly make players and owners think a little harder when it comes to negotiating mega-contracts.

fledgedrallycap
01-20-2004, 12:33 PM
If that's the case and I took it out of context, I'm sorry.

No problem, looked like you had some pent up feelings you needed to vent. :smile:

voodoochile
01-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by gcgill2
I have no problem with this as long as they just reach a deal quickly! If an agreement cannot be reached within a week or two end all talks. :payrod

Isn't that what they did last time?

SoxOnTop
01-20-2004, 12:56 PM
If that is the case, it will just cause more damage. The previous talks left everyone with such an empty/disappointed feeling; if baseball goes public with this (which they haven't yet outside of some rumors), then I think this deal has to go through for the good of the game.

I still don't understand all you DQ's who believe that this trade is for the "Good of the Game". Have you been drinking the Cubbie Kool-ade too? Maybe the Cubs and Red Sox should be in the WS for the next 3 years, too? That would be for the "Good of the Game", wouldn't it?

I'm with Rex. It's for the good of the game that this deal does NOT go through. As much as I think this deal would be good for the White Sox, it sends the message that MLB players can sign ridiculously irresponsible contracts and then piss and moan their way onto a contending team.

No Way. When your all about the money, then you need to deal with the consequences.

MTSUDaff
01-20-2004, 02:57 PM
How can you say this is not for the good of the game? Every team involved gets what they want, and baseball gets to market the best player in the game, period, in a place where the games actually matter. We get to see possible the best player to ever play the game when it is all said and done, bat under pressure and make plays when they matter. This is for the good of the game. Yes i know he has a long way to go to be called the best player ever. That's why i said possibly .

SSN721
01-20-2004, 03:28 PM
I know it could be disinformation, but both Scott Boras and representatives from the Rangers and Red Sox both denied any rumors that talks were resuming. I know if it is happening they wouldnt really advertise it and screw up like the talks before. Also heard about an hour ago on Dan Patrick Show, Bruce Levine sounded very sure that talks were resuming in New York this weekend and things are close to being resolved. Just though I would pass on the tidbits I have heard about it today.

Fenway
01-20-2004, 03:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1713598

ESPN.com news services
When trade talks between the Rangers and Red Sox collapsed in mid-December, it appeared that Alex Rodriguez would remain with Texas and Manny Ramirez would stay with Boston.

However, those talks have restarted and a trade between the two teams is actively being discussed, a high-ranking baseball offical confirmed to ESPN's Dan Patrick on Tuesday.

VC Edit: the link is enough. Please don't repost the entire article.

habibharu
01-20-2004, 05:10 PM
not dead yet: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1713598

Fenway
01-20-2004, 05:19 PM
now boston.com reports
at 5:19 PM

Sports Update: ESPN is reporting this afternoon that the Red Sox and the Rangers will resume talks this weekend concerning shortstop Alex Rodriquez coming to Boston and Manny Ramirez going to Texas. The Red Sox and the Globe say it's not true. A-Rod's agent Scott Boras said the report is "wholly unrealistic."

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Whoa. Bruce Levine is live on ESPN right now. I had a completely different image of him in my head.

soxwon
01-20-2004, 06:21 PM
can someone come up with a faux white sox jersey with nomars name on it?

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
can someone come up with a faux white sox jersey with nomars name on it?
I tried to do it on the Sports Authority's website but it wouldn't let me put Garciaparra and 5 on the same jersey for the White Sox. However, you could put something like Garciaparra and any other number other than 5.

SEALgep
01-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Is there a deal in the works? They seem to strongly deny it, but it makes sense to that, even if it is true. Obviously Nomar would take exception to it for a second time around, and seriously would put a question mark on his free agent status for next year. I found it interesting that Williamson's contract was undisclosed as far as amount, but every other person signed on any team gave a financial estimate. Williamson would most likely be included in a deal with Nomar for Maggs if a deal were to be reached. I don't know what to believe for certain, but if it were true, what would you do with Nomar. I would like to extend him, but if it is unrealistic, what do you think we could get for him from the Dodgers? Keep in mind (although KW may still insist upon him) the demand for Mota may be dropped if Williamson came over.

lowesox
01-21-2004, 12:17 AM
I read an article (I think on mlb.com) about how Nomar was pissed about the trade talks. Reading it made me think that Nomar would have been very unhappy with a trade to the Sox. So, I think if a deal happens he'll go to LA for sure. Which when you think about it, is in the best interest for the White Sox. Sure, we won't have Nomar or Maggs, but Mota and one of the super prospects would be very nice additions.

Maybe the deal could be:

TO CHICAGO FROM REDSOX
Nomar
Williamson
Nixon

TO BOSTON FROM CHICAGO
Maggs
Valentin
Borchard

TO DODGERS FROM SOX
Garciaparra
Another player?

TO SOX FROM DODGERS
Mota
Perez
Jackson

If Kenny could work this, I'd be very happy. The Sox would get 5 good players - and save some money that they could use to sign Damian Moss or to get a second baseman with.

beckett21
01-21-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I tried to do it on the Sports Authority's website but it wouldn't let me put Garciaparra and 5 on the same jersey for the White Sox. However, you could put something like Garciaparra and any other number other than 5.

Well, that seems to discriminate against those people whose names are *Garciaparra* and have an affinity for the White Sox and the number 5. Or maybe they were big Jimenez fans, who knows. How unfair!