PDA

View Full Version : Can we even field a team right now

StepsInSC
01-19-2004, 01:02 PM
I was trying to think if the season began right now, who would be the position players on our roster.

Assuming we carry 11 pitchers and 14 position players (thats kind of the norm, isn't it), there are 3 slots I can't even begin to know who could take them.

C: Alomar, Olivo
1B: PK, Hurt
2B: Harris
3B: Crede
SS: Valentin, Uribe
OF: Lee, Rowand, Ordonez

On whitesox.com, Ross Gload and Ruddy Yan are listed on the 40 man roster (I realize it doesn't mean crap in the offseason), but seriously, above are 11 players...none of which I'm too excited about, but there are still 3 slots. Is it even possible these could be given to the likes of Reed, Borchard, and other youngin's who IMO don't need to be rushed up to the majors? Or is it likely they might sign some vets to duke it out for those spots come Spring Training.

Forgive me if this post has been done, but I can't remember our *potential* roster looking so glaringly 'hole-filled'. And it appears KWs hands are tied as to possible solutions considering we're already over budget with this sad group of players.

On a side not, yahoo is posting a possible Royal's lineup (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=knight-mullinghisoptionspenanotr&prov=knight&type=lgns).

Rex Hudler
01-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Gload will almost assuredly make the roster and be able to fill in at 1B and OF. He has hit everywhere he has been in the Minors and his season in AAA last year has earned him a shot off the bench.

The other two spots, likely one OF and one utility are still open. Players couls still be acquired, a trade could be made or the opportunity could be given to someone already in the organization, a la Borchard.

Still plenty of time to fill out the bench.

ND_Sox_Fan
01-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Does a weak bench mean that we might have a more consistent lineup by default? Who knows what Ozzie will do anyway?

misty60481
01-19-2004, 01:52 PM
line-up--it seems that we are picking up pitchers and hoping for another Loiza miracle what happens if Crede gets hurt we dont have an everyday back-up at third if Harris or Uribe cant cut it whos on second, your right they need to pick up some journeyman position players...

ND_Sox_Fan
01-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by misty60481
line-up--it seems that we are picking up pitchers and hoping for another Loiza miracle what happens if Crede gets hurt we dont have an everyday back-up at third if Harris or Uribe cant cut it whos on second, your right they need to pick up some journeyman position players...

Our 3B backup is GIDP Konerko.

ND_Sox_Fan
01-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Todd Zeile could be a candidate for back up corner infielder. How cheap he would come is the only question? He made 1.5 mill last year.

ND_Sox_Fan
01-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Strike that last one on Zeile - aparently he agreed to sign with the Mets yesterday.....

lowesox
01-19-2004, 02:42 PM
I think it would be stupid to use Borchard as the 4th outfielder. He has too much learning to do in the minors.

KNowing Reinsdorf and Co. they'll use Wee Willie to backup the outfield and field a roster of about 22 players - you know, to save on major league contracts.

StepsInSC
01-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think it would be stupid to use Borchard as the 4th outfielder. He has too much learning to do in the minors.

KNowing Reinsdorf and Co. they'll use Wee Willie to backup the outfield and field a roster of about 22 players - you know, to save on major league contracts.

LOL. How shamefully hilarious would that be.

So, is that to say you see Uribe as our starting second?

Rex Hudler
01-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
LOL. How shamefully hilarious would that be.

A 25-man roster is mandated. Saving money by carrying less players cannot happen. Theoretically, they could save money by not carrying a full 40-man roster, but you are not talking a huge amount of savings in that case.