PDA

View Full Version : Sosa Admits Steroid Use?

Wsoxmike59
01-19-2004, 12:42 PM
This was passed along to me by fellow Sox fan Fightin' Illini Dave, and if you read Sammy's quote from last Thursday's article in the Bright One.......you have to ask yourself......if Sammy NEVER lifted weights in December......how did he get so freaking big in '98??? Like Ringo Starr....did he get by with a "little help" Kinda makes you go hmmmm.....doesn't it?????

''Dusty called me [Tuesday], and I told him I'm so pumped, so hyped, that this is the first time I have ever started lifting weights in December,'' Sosa said. ''I have never felt like this. It's so exciting for me that I will be there in Arizona whenever the team wants me there. I can't wait.

Sammy Admits To Steroid Use!!! <Alledgedly> (http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-sosa15.html)

Frater Perdurabo
01-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Of course, Cub-cheerleader Kiley can't get beyond his blue bloodlust for all things Sosa, and ignores his journalistic DUTY to probe into Sosa's near-admission by implication of steroid use. I hope that the Cubs sign him to a record-breaking extension, and the day after he is found with cork, syringes and pills in his very locker.

pudge
01-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Dude, so he lifts from January to October, if he doesn't lift in November and December it's not going to matter.

I'm not a Sosa apologist, but this in no way implies he took roids.

CubKilla
01-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Dude, so he lifts from January to October, if he doesn't lift in November and December it's not going to matter.

I'd agree. The fact that he went ape-**** when asked by an SI (?) writer to go down to a clinic with him to do a drug drop after an interview to prove to the world that he doesn't do steroids is better proof than this.

TornLabrum
01-19-2004, 01:39 PM

Um...he put on all that muscle mass over the winter.

Brian26
01-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Anyone who's ever done any weight lifting knows how it works. I didn't take Sosa's comments as an admission of guilt whatsoever. Most guys who train and lift weights cycle their workouts. It's not uncommon for a guy to take a couple of months off, eat really heavy, and then comeback and lift weights to lean up some of the fat into muscle mass. Sammy had already been getting big in '96 and '97. I bet his usual routine now is that he probably stops lifting sometime in October and takes the holidays off, and then probably starts full-time lifting again after January 1st. He was simply saying this year he started before Christmas. No biggie. I hate Sosa as much as everyone else does, and I'm sure he does take some supplements, but this particular quote isn't the admission of guilt that we're looking for.

ND_Sox_Fan
01-19-2004, 01:45 PM

I beg to differ. He may be lifting during the season, but it is in no way, shape, or form the type of lifting needed to add bulk. They lift to maintain during the season, and then get huge in the off season. He wouldn't have blimped out by skipping two months of lifting before 1998.

steff
01-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

January and February aren't "winter"....??

ND_Sox_Fan
01-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by steff
January and February aren't "winter"....??

Many of my best friends down here at school are Notre Dame football players. I see these guys adding muscle the right way. They have been lifting every day since the beginning of January and will lift every day until next August. They do lift during the season, but it is not the type of blow-out lifts they do to add bulk. They do get bigger season to season, but they don't take any time off either. Two months is a long time. I agree that he ate and turned the fat to muscle, but he also did it with the aid of substances. What those are - well that is to be determined.

Wsoxmike59
01-19-2004, 02:04 PM

There is no way you can add 30 lbs of muscle as Sammy did between the '97-'98 season just by lifting weights for 6 weeks before Spring Training. If he wasn't lifting in December, how'd he get so big?? The answer is as easy to get to by looking at the zits on Sammy's face.

In my book this is a "smoking gun" that pretty much admits he had taken roids to bulk up.

Rex Hudler
01-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
There is no way you can add 30 lbs of muscle as Sammy did between the '97-'98 season just by lifting weights for 6 weeks before Spring Training. If he wasn't lifting in December, how'd he get so big?? The answer is as easy to get to by looking at the zits on Sammy's face.

In my book this is a "smoking gun" that pretty much admits he had taken roids to bulk up.

If seen guys go from average with a little muscle mass to bigger and ripped in 60-90 days, just using nutrition, the right program and MetRx, a nutritional supplement.

Technology these days has come so far that there are enough perfectly legal supplements that steroids are not needed if you do things right. Steroids are the lazy way to get big.

JDP
01-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

December not being winter? LOL.

daveeym
01-19-2004, 03:24 PM
You can take all the steroids you want but if you don't lift while on them you won't gain muscle - steroids are just illegal and more potent supplements. Either way if you don't work out with them you won't see much benefit from them.

DirtySouthsider
01-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Anyone who's ever done any weight lifting knows how it works. I didn't take Sosa's comments as an admission of guilt whatsoever. Most guys who train and lift weights cycle their workouts. It's not uncommon for a guy to take a couple of months off, eat really heavy, and then comeback and lift weights to lean up some of the fat into muscle mass. Sammy had already been getting big in '96 and '97. I bet his usual routine now is that he probably stops lifting sometime in October and takes the holidays off, and then probably starts full-time lifting again after January 1st. He was simply saying this year he started before Christmas. No biggie. I hate Sosa as much as everyone else does, and I'm sure he does take some supplements, but this particular quote isn't the admission of guilt that we're looking for.

"Guys take a couple of months off, eat really heavy then work out and turn the muscle to fat"
I don't know if you know this but fat does not turn into muscle. There is really no coorelation between the two.
If I was to do that it would just take me that much longer to get into shape.

lowesox
01-19-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ND_Sox_Fan
Many of my best friends down here at school are Notre Dame football players.

Out of interest, which players are you friends with? I'm a huge ND football fan.

Brian26
01-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
"Guys take a couple of months off, eat really heavy then work out and turn the muscle to fat"
I don't know if you know this but fat does not turn into muscle. There is really no coorelation between the two.
If I was to do that it would just take me that much longer to get into shape.

Depends on what we're talking about. If you're looking to add muscle mass, you absolutely have to increase your food intake by a huge percentage. You may "be in shape" by working out and keeping the same diet, but you aren't going to get "big" as everyone is claiming Sammy did without significantly increasing your calorie intake. A lot of guys absolutely eat a ton, get heavy, and start working out hard to turn that into muscle. There absolutely is a correlation between the two, and any bodybuilder will tell you that.

StepsInSC
01-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Anyone who's ever done any weight lifting knows how it works. I didn't take Sosa's comments as an admission of guilt whatsoever. Most guys who train and lift weights cycle their workouts. It's not uncommon for a guy to take a couple of months off, eat really heavy, and then comeback and lift weights to lean up some of the fat into muscle mass.

But muscles go into atrophy after 2 weeks of rest, taking a whole two months off is counter productive. And eating heavy while taking a break will lead to significant rise in BF%.

Depends on what we're talking about. If you're looking to add muscle mass, you absolutely have to increase your food intake by a huge percentage. You may "be in shape" by working out and keeping the same diet, but you aren't going to get "big" as everyone is claiming Sammy did without significantly increasing your calorie intake. A lot of guys absolutely eat a ton, get heavy, and start working out hard to turn that into muscle. There absolutely is a correlation between the two, and any bodybuilder will tell you that.

There really isn't a correlation though, you can't turn muscle into fat. To gain muscle like you said you eat a calorie surplus, but that will inevitably lead to fat being gained too. 1/2 to 1 pound of fat added per pound of muscle is not uncommon. Fat loss and muscle gain are opposites, one requires a cal surplus, one requires a cal deficit. Doing both at the same time is counter productive, as typically only beginners can lose fat and gain muscle at once.

The Myth of Turning fat into muscle (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt2.htm)

eriqjaffe
01-19-2004, 04:19 PM
You just have to know how to break the Sammy Code:

''Dusty called me [Tuesday], and I told him I'm so pumped, so hyped, that this is the first time I have ever started lifting weights in December,'' Sosa said.

It's so obvious, as long as you know how to read between the lines.

voodoochile
01-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
But muscles go into atrophy after 2 weeks of rest, taking a whole two months off is counter productive. And eating heavy while taking a break will lead to significant rise in BF%.

There really isn't a correlation though, you can't turn muscle into fat. To gain muscle like you said you eat a calorie surplus, but that will inevitably lead to fat being gained too. 1/2 to 1 pound of fat added per pound of muscle is not uncommon. Fat loss and muscle gain are opposites, one requires a cal surplus, one requires a cal deficit. Doing both at the same time is counter productive, as typically only beginners can lose fat and gain muscle at once.

The Myth of Turning fat into muscle (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt2.htm)

They aren't even the same kind of tissue, so to think you can turn one into the other with hard workouts is silly...

Brian26
01-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Fat loss and muscle gain are opposites, one requires a cal surplus, one requires a cal deficit. Doing both at the same time is counter productive, as typically only beginners can lose fat and gain muscle at once.

Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is absolutely, positively 100% possible. But, we've gone beyond my original point, which is essentially backed up by this article. It is possible for Sammy to take a break from heavy lifting after the season and then go hard after the 1st of the year leading up to spring training. This workout routine isn't unusual and, unfortunately, doesn't point to steroid abuse on its own (although I agree that he probably is using some sort of supplement, illegal or not).

StepsInSC
01-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is absolutely, positively 100% possible. But, we've gone beyond my original point, which is essentially backed up by this article. It is possible for Sammy to take a break from heavy lifting after the season and then go hard after the 1st of the year leading up to spring training. This workout routine isn't unusual and, unfortunately, doesn't point to steroid abuse on its own (although I agree that he probably is using some sort of supplement, illegal or not).

I agree that this article proves nothing, and is wishful thinking on the part of some.

nasox
01-19-2004, 05:07 PM
this (along with some of the Kubbie Krap that the newspaper gives them) is what gives Sox fans a bad name. Who cares if Sosa used steriods? Just because we can prove he's a bimbo (which I agree that he is) doesn't make us A) have a better team than they do B) make us better then them or C) give us a owner and GM who arent morons. I mean, does it really help us if we prove the CUbs to be idiots? Lets concentrate on the sox.

However, I find eriqjaffe read between the lines thing histerical.

Frater Perdurabo
01-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Technology these days has come so far that there are enough perfectly legal supplements that steroids are not needed if you do things right.

Right, like Flintstone Vitamins.

Wsoxmike59
01-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I'd agree. The fact that he went ape-**** when asked by an SI (?) writer to go down to a clinic with him to do a drug drop after an interview to prove to the world that he doesn't do steroids is better proof than this.

I'd also like to mention that last season, the first one with steroid testing on players, it seemed that Sammy's HR's weren't travelling as far into the bleachers as they were the previous years. He also seemed to look slimmer in the facial area.......Could it be the result of having to quit using supplements???? Hmmmmm......

The previous 5 seasons prior to 2003, most of Sammy's shots couldn't be contained by Wrigley Field. I'd venture to say 2/3's of Sammy's HR's from 1998-2002 left Wrigley Field or hit the back screen in the OF bleachers. The show he put on at Miller Park at the 2002 All-Star Game was proof enough for me that he was "Juicing"

Last season after his 'roids were taken away, Sammy resorted to corking his bat looking to gain some more "pop" His HR's I noticed werent' flying out onto Waveland and Sheffield Ave any longer.....they were landing safely into the bleachers 3-4-5 rows deep.....

Could his sudden drop off in power and HR distance be due to Steroid Testing and the lack of human growth hormone coursing through his system??????? I wonder

ND_Sox_Fan
01-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Out of interest, which players are you friends with? I'm a huge ND football fan.

I hang out with about 15-20 guys - mostly linemen.

Guys like: Greg Paully, Billy Palmer, Kyle Budinscak, Matt Hasbrook, David Fitzgerald, Matt Krueger, Mike Goolsby, Jared Clark, etc.

Daver
01-19-2004, 06:47 PM
You can edit your posts using the EdIT button at the bottom of your post on the right.

:)

Wsoxmike59
01-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Daver I thought the clever use of a "?" and the word "alledgedly" avoids all troubles and legalities. And of course the "juice" I refer to is FLA's own citrus juice.....OJ. :smile:

P.S. Hey Daver, how's Nugent doing?? I heard he had some type of hunting accident and got hit with an arrow or something in the leg?? Do you know what happened, and how he's doing??

Daver
01-19-2004, 08:07 PM

P.S. Hey Daver, how's Nugent doing?? I heard he had some type of hunting accident and got hit with an arrow or something in the leg?? Do you know what happened, and how he's doing??

He cut himself with a chainsaw filming his Nugent Challenge show,he is at home recovering grumpily.

:)

MikeKreevich
01-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Can I prove Sammy used steroids? Could they prove O.J. commited murder? All I can do is give an educated guess.
Sammy's physical appearance and athletic acomplishments changed dramatically. If you look at photos of Sammy a few years ago, you see the chimpmonk cheeks, acne, and noticeably larger muscles that would lead one to suspect steroid use. Keep in mind that steroids are legal in the Dominican. You can walk into any pharmacia and buy them over the counter. Steroids were found in Manny Alexander's car. Manny was one of Sammy's best friends, a teammate and a fellow Dominican.
We have the statements of present and former major league players that steroid use was rampant. The synthetic steroid investigation involving the Balco company, Barry Bonds, and Jason Giambi is still ongoing. We have lots of reasons to suspect that Sosa used steroids but we can't prove it.

Frater Perdurabo
01-19-2004, 08:40 PM
I'd also like to mention that last season, the first one with steroid testing on players, it seemed that Sammy's HR's weren't travelling as far into the bleachers as they were the previous years. He also seemed to look slimmer in the facial area.......Could it be the result of having to quit using supplements???? Hmmmmm......

The previous 5 seasons prior to 2003, most of Sammy's shots couldn't be contained by Wrigley Field. I'd venture to say 2/3's of Sammy's HR's from 1998-2002 left Wrigley Field or hit the back screen in the OF bleachers. The show he put on at Miller Park at the 2002 All-Star Game was proof enough for me that he was "Juicing"

Last season after his 'roids were taken away, Sammy resorted to corking his bat looking to gain some more "pop" His HR's I noticed werent' flying out onto Waveland and Sheffield Ave any longer.....they were landing safely into the bleachers 3-4-5 rows deep.....

Could his sudden drop off in power and HR distance be due to Steroid Testing and the lack of human growth hormone coursing through his system??????? I wonder

Excellent use of empirical evidence to give more credence to the theory that Sosa allegedly eats roids like Pez.

Wsoxmike59
01-21-2004, 10:52 AM
And this little tidbit in today's Sun-Times from Rick Telander's column: "Sammy Sosa, like Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, has changed physically as much as anyone in the sport. But he never has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. Then, too, until a few months ago, Major League Baseball didn't even have a drug-testing policy.
Just the other day, Sosa told Cubs manager Dusty Baker how much he was looking forward to the coming season. "I'm so pumped, so hyped,'' Sosa said. "This is the first time I've started lifting weights in December.''
Maybe Sosa didn't know what he was implying with that statement, but I think many people assumed Sosa had put on his 40 or so pounds of muscle from lifting maniacally year-round."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick21.html

TornLabrum
01-21-2004, 07:33 PM
And this little tidbit in today's Sun-Times from Rick Telander's column: "Sammy Sosa, like Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, has changed physically as much as anyone in the sport. But he never has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. Then, too, until a few months ago, Major League Baseball didn't even have a drug-testing policy.
Just the other day, Sosa told Cubs manager Dusty Baker how much he was looking forward to the coming season. "I'm so pumped, so hyped,'' Sosa said. "This is the first time I've started lifting weights in December.''
Maybe Sosa didn't know what he was implying with that statement, but I think many people assumed Sosa had put on his 40 or so pounds of muscle from lifting maniacally year-round."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick21.html

Looks like Telander has been checking out this thread.