PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays vs White Sox?

Dadawg_77
01-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Who is a better team in your opinion? The Jays payroll is expect to be a shade over 50 million and they have made several moves this off season. We all know about the Sox.

jabrch
01-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Who is a better team in your opinion? The Jays payroll is expect to be a shade over 50 million and they have made several moves this off season. We all know about the Sox.

I don't think this is even close. If the Jays were in the Central, they'd be the heavy favorites. Their SP is better than ours - they actually have 5 MLB starters. Vern Wells and Delgado will outproduce Maggs and Frank. Like us, they are one OF short - but theirs is a corner OF, not a CF. Their IF is a lot more solid then ours is.

Foulke You
01-19-2004, 11:58 AM
The Jays are my "dark horse" team in the AL East. They've made some nice moves to their rotation by adding Lilly, Batista, to go along with Halladay and Hentgen. Their offense was one of the best in the AL last year and arguably helped Halladay win the AL Cy Young. Now, it appears they have a solid, not great, but solid rotation to complement the high powered offense. I don't know much about their bullpen though. Overall, I would say the Jays are more solid than the Sox.

That being said, the AL East is going to be a dogfight this year with Schilling's Red Sox, the Yankees, and the revamped Orioles so I would give the White Sox a slight edge to make the playoffs between the two.

Hondo
01-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Blue Jays

JP Ricardi is one of the best GM's in the game and will only continue to get better.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-19-2004, 12:07 PM
The white sox! We stole the legendary Cliff Politte from them. I really like the Blue Jays now that they've added some pitching in Hentgen, Batista and Lilly. I thought they'd have a chance to win the East but then the Red Sox got Schilling. Then again anything can happen and they have the talent to win enough games to get into the playoffs.

Edit: And the Jays signed relief pitcher Kerry Lightenburg, who a lot of people on this board wanted the sox to get.

Baby Fisk
01-19-2004, 12:28 PM
As a Torontonian, I've had to listen to all the noise about this BRILLIANT and SAAVY new GM Ricciardi, who follows in the mold of Theo in Boston. The Jays will be good, but it's a moot point as they are toast in their division. What we are seeing in Toronto is a team that has to MAKE MOVES and SIGN PLAYERS just to be on the same field as the Yanks & Carmines. The Sox have done nothing because they feel they can compete with the existing team in a crappy division.

In terms of who is better, I'd say Jays strictly based on off-season activity to fill some holes and make themselves more competitive against New York & Boston (keeping an eye on Baltimore too) while the Sox have done the bare minimum. I'd have to give the nod to the Jays rotation over the Sox. I'm sure the activity has created a BUZZ among Jays fans, whoever they may be and wherever they hang out, because you'd be hard pressed to find them in this town. MLB is actually FOURTH fiddle in Toronto, after the Maple Leafs, Raptors and Toronto Rock lacrosse team (they drew 16,124 to their home opener last week).

Dadawg_77
01-19-2004, 01:50 PM
My thought is the Jays are a stronger organization from A class to the majors. The White Sox have always bellowed about a lack of resources, but the fact is we are seeing teams such as the Blue Jays with less resources but having more success in building a team. Unfortunately for Jays and their fans, they are in the East. Put them in the Central and they would win a 100 games.

Lip Man 1
01-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Pitching wins championships and enables you to compete. Go down the rotations and bullpens and you'll have your answer.

By the way whatever happened to Kenny's comment about all extra money going to improve the pitching?

Lip

CubKilla
01-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
By the way whatever happened to Kenny's comment about all extra money going to improve the pitching?

Lip

:reinsy

"That comment wasn't authorized by me."

duke of dorwood
01-19-2004, 02:17 PM
They are much better. Looking at the whole picture, we're closer to Tampa Bay right now, than we are to Toronto. We are better than Cleveland, Detroit, Tampa and Texas. Thats about it.

beckett21
01-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Have to agree with the majority here. We have done absolutely nothing to improve a team that won what, 86 games last year?? If anything, our talent level has declined IMO, unless I am totally wrong about Uribe and Politte. But if you can't hit at Coors, well, IMO you just can't hit, period.

As for the Jays, they are loaded with talent--I wish we had their problems.

This is no contest, much to my dismay.

CubKilla
01-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
But if you can't hit at Coors, well, IMO you just can't hit, period.

:hitless

"I'll put up 'PayRod-like' numbers if I get the chance to play at Coors. I'll be 'upper-ecelon' both defensively AND offensively."