PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's top 50 players


gosox41
01-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Interesting list. I don't necesssarily agree with the order nor do I agree that all those players are the right chices.

Sox have one on the list: Magglio at #15.

Cubs have 3, and you can probably figure out who they are.


Here's the link:

http://games.espn.go.com/content/flb/2004/story?id=1708473

Bob

Grobber33
01-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Actually,the Cubs had 4 in this list since Derrick Lee is now with them--not that lists like this mean anything.
Some goof on Fox listed Shaquille O'Neal #1 alltime on the NBA list ahead of Michael Jordan. Yeah right!!!

rmusacch
01-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33
Actually,the Cubs had 4 in this list since Derrick Lee is now with them--not that lists like this mean anything.
Some goof on Fox listed Shaquille O'Neal #1 alltime on the NBA list ahead of Michael Jordan. Yeah right!!!

If it was a fantasy list, Shaq is a much better fantasy player than MJ could ever dream about being.

ChiSoxFann
01-18-2004, 11:12 AM
how is kerry wood no 47 but buehrly isnt even on the list

jabrch
01-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxFann
how is kerry wood no 47 but buehrly isnt even on the list

It is Fantasy Baseball. Kerry Wood lead the NL in Ks (about 270) and had his usual 14 wins. That is a lot better fantasy-wise than Buehrle's numbers.

Fantasy baseball often has little to do with real baseball.

voodoochile
01-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
It is Fantasy Baseball. Kerry Wood lead the NL in Ks (about 270) and had his usual 14 wins. That is a lot better fantasy-wise than Buehrle's numbers.

Fantasy baseball often has little to do with real baseball.

Good, because I was starting to wonder how Giambi beat out Frank and why Frank isn't on the list at all. His numbers are good enough to make that list if Giambi's are that's for sure...

PaulDrake
01-18-2004, 12:39 PM
He values Soriano a hell of a lot more than I do.

jabrch
01-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Good, because I was starting to wonder how Giambi beat out Frank and why Frank isn't on the list at all. His numbers are good enough to make that list if Giambi's are that's for sure...

He is valueing Giambi based on his pre-NYY years. Giambi is now hurt and may not ever put those numbers up again. You are definitely right Voodoo, I'd take Frank of Giambi these days.

He values Soriano a hell of a lot more than I do.

There aren't many 2Bs for fantasy baseball. Soriano is a 40/40 type guys. In most fantasy leagues you use avg, HR, R, RBI, SB so Ks don't matter. Using that, Soriano puts up amazing fantasy numbers.

MRKARNO
01-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Two things:

1. When you look past the BA, Giambi had a good year last year. Giambi had about 10 less hits, but also walked 30 more times, and had about 20 more runs. Frank was a little lower maybe, but not by much. So maybe Frank should have been up there in comparison to Giambi, especially when you see that Giambi had 25 more K's

2. Mark Prior gets our nod, but even he might miss some starts. Be prepared.
They seem to agree with the educated opinion that Prior (and Wood) are likely injury candidates based on the amount of pitches Mr. Baker has allowed them to throw last year. Prior is young and hasnt thrown that many pitches before in his life, as the years he spent in the minors, the probably were saving his arm for Dusty to abuse it

The Critic
01-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
They seem to agree with the educated opinion that Prior (and Wood) are likely injury candidates based on the amount of pitches Mr. Baker has allowed them to throw last year. Prior is young and hasnt thrown that many pitches before in his life, as the years he spent in the minors, the probably were saving his arm for Dusty to abuse it

I heard some radio yappers ( can't remember which ones, they all sound alike to me anyway ) talking about some study that said pitchers who log over 200 innings in a season almost always end up missing starts due to injury in the next season.
Dusty Baylor definitely over-used all of his "Big 4" last season.
Can't say I blame him, with the awful middle relief they had last year, but at some point you're gonna pay the price, whether it's a guy suddenly losing everything in the 8th inning of an NLCS game, or guys potentially suffering wear-and-tear type injuries the next year.
They don't seem too concerned about protecting "Kid K"s rebuilt arm or creaky back, either.