PDA

View Full Version : Big Hurt's private side

petekat
01-17-2004, 09:09 PM
chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040117soxthomas,1,4388965.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

fascinating writeup by Teddy G. Kind to animals, small children, and Aaron Rowand. Tips $150 on a $150 tab. Can't be all bad, can he?

anyone else have any anecdotes of run ins with Frank? or other Sox players for that matter...?

Deadguy
01-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by petekat
chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040117soxthomas,1,4388965.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

fascinating writeup by Teddy G. Kind to animals, small children, and Aaron Rowand. Tips $150 on a $150 tab. Can't be all bad, can he?

anyone else have any anecdotes of run ins with Frank? or other Sox players for that matter...?

That was a pretty funny read. I bet Teddy is pretty upset that he went all the way to Las Vegas for nothing.

Good to hear he's working out everyday.

RKMeibalane
01-17-2004, 09:55 PM
It looks like Frank has been putting in a lot of time working out this off-season. That's good news. I thought that the part about him working on leg strength was interesting. Perhaps that means he anticipates seeing more time at first base this season.

jamteh
01-17-2004, 10:51 PM
I remember in the early '90s, my brother almost smashed our car into Frank's red convertible Mercedes. That would have been interesting.

beckett21
01-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Anyone remember when Shawn Abner came to the Sox, and one of the local media asked him what he was most impressed with? His answer was something to the effect of "Big Frank in the shower" :D:

OEO Magglio
01-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
It looks like Frank has been putting in a lot of time working out this off-season. That's good news. I thought that the part about him working on leg strength was interesting. Perhaps that means he anticipates seeing more time at first base this season.
Or maybe he thinks Ozzie will bat him 2nd like Manuel did a couple of times, and he's getting ready to steal some bases.

CubKilla
01-18-2004, 12:15 AM

I mentioned in another thread that I used to work for a Fixed Base Operator at Midway Airport in the mid-90's and the Operator I was employed by handled the White Sox charters. Frank was never stingy with the tips..... especially to those workers that he knew loaded his equiptment onto the plane. $50 a person wasn't out of the question..... on departure and arrival. Always signed autographs for the fans that would hawk out the players once they found out where the Sox charter left from. Frank always treated me right :D: .

TommyJohn
01-18-2004, 12:30 AM

My cousin worked in Park Operations a few years ago (he was
Elvis a couple of times on Elvis Night-That's a family secret that
we don't care to talk about) and he ran into Thomas a couple of
times and said he was a great guy. My cousin even got Albert
Belle to sign a baseball. Belle signed it and put a bible verse
reference below it.

TommyJohn
01-18-2004, 12:44 AM

:moron

What!!! How dare you try to humanize that monster!! Wait until
I get through with him!! I'll make sure he NEVER gets to the Hall
of Fame!!

StepsInSC
01-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I thought that the part about him working on leg strength was interesting. Perhaps that means he anticipates seeing more time at first base this season.

Hopefully. But I doubt there is a large correlation b/w the two.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2004, 02:12 AM
Cub:

My father worked at Midway for thirty years until he was killed in an accident at the airport in 1979. I basically grew up there loved seeing the planes and meeting the pilots (not the Seattle ones!) as a kid.

Lip

voodoochile
01-18-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
Anyone remember when Shawn Abner came to the Sox, and one of the local media asked him what he was most impressed with? His answer was something to the effect of "Big Frank in the shower" :D:

I don't remember that story, but welcome aboard anyway :D:

Have to say that I liked the story right until the end. That last paragraph was terrible. Come on Teddy, you wrote a great piece and then just faded away...

Rex Hudler
01-18-2004, 03:55 AM
I mentioned in another thread that I used to work for a Fixed Base Operator at Midway Airport in the mid-90's and the Operator I was employed by handled the White Sox charters. Frank was never stingy with the tips..... especially to those workers that he knew loaded his equiptment onto the plane. $50 a person wasn't out of the question..... on departure and arrival. Always signed autographs for the fans that would hawk out the players once they found out where the Sox charter left from. Frank always treated me right .

I hear Frank tips well at the strip clubs....... oops, did I just say that? :o:

Dan Gelo
01-18-2004, 05:23 AM
He had eaten at a restaurant in the Oakbrook area that a friend of mine works at, said he was really nice.

Hangar18
01-18-2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
That was a pretty funny read. I bet Teddy is pretty upset that he went all the way to Las Vegas for nothing.

Good to hear he's working out everyday.

that is good to hear indeed, him working out. Say, off the subject, im going nuts Searching the NET for That Poster of THOMAS on Deadguys Signature....ANyone know where I can
find it? That is a bad-ass frank picture.....needs to be on my wall

gosox41
01-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I mentioned in another thread that I used to work for a Fixed Base Operator at Midway Airport in the mid-90's and the Operator I was employed by handled the White Sox charters. Frank was never stingy with the tips..... especially to those workers that he knew loaded his equiptment onto the plane. $50 a person wasn't out of the question..... on departure and arrival. Always signed autographs for the fans that would hawk out the players once they found out where the Sox charter left from. Frank always treated me right :D: .

D oyou mean Frank may actually be a decent human being??

I love Frank. But if you talk to the media or some people around here you'd think: 1. He doesn't perform well 2. He's moody 3. He doesn't care about his job 4. He's selfish

Maybe Teddy G should stop trying to con his bosses for a free trip to Vegas. It's the offseason. Leave Frank alone. He's entitled to his private life. The way the media always portrays him, I don't blame him either.

The article was entertaining at some points but completely pointless.

Bob

ondafarm
01-18-2004, 09:54 AM

I got to meet Frank on the set (Chavez Ravine) of Mr Baseball. Frank is the guy batting that sends Tom Selleck's character off to Japan in the first place. My mother swears that I am recognizable in the background catching a few of Frank's BP balls in the deep outfield, but everyone else believes that my images all wound up on the cutting room floor. Frank actually talked to me at some length about Chicago and Nellie Fox (a hero to my family) and the general attitude towards JR vs the Japanese team's owners which I'd signed with to play in their far minors. We also wound up playing a few games of table tennis, which he was quite good at. We spoke briefly of wives of different races. My wife was still alive at that time.

In short, Frank is a decent human being.

ND_Sox_Fan
01-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
ANyone know where I can
find it? That is a bad-ass frank picture.....needs to be on my wall

It was put out by Leaf Studio in 1993 - the same year it did the Thomas insert sets in both Leaf and Studio. That picture is one of the cards in the Studio set. I got mine on ebay a while back. I haven't seen them anywhere else.

Palehose13
01-18-2004, 10:32 AM
My mom worked at the bank where Frank and Bo Jackson did their banking. This was 1993ish, so I don't know if they still do. However, my mom loved both guys but said that Frank's wife was a biotch. Anyways, I caught a foul ball in 1993 and my mom told Frank that she would like him to sign it if he would. Since she couldn't get autographs at work, he told her where he was having dinner that night. My parents went (I was in college and couldn't go) and he signed the ball and was really nice to my folks. I was sold after that and don't believe the venom that the media spews about him.

TornLabrum
01-18-2004, 10:42 AM
A couple of Frank anecdotes:

1) Frank has always been good to the Windy City Sox Fans. He has told Mary Kay that whenever we need an autographed item as a prize or for a raffle prize, he'd sign it. He's never let us down in our nine years.

2) A couple of years ago my son was at a Hooters in one of the 'burbs, and Frank and his party sat down at the table next to them. My son, who is far braver than I would be, walked over, told him he was a fan, and asked for his autograph. Frank autographed a menu and also posed for a couple of pictures.

Stuff like this and the other stories that have been posted here are the reason I think there are two Frank Thomases: the one created by the Chicago (and national?) media, and the real one.

michned
01-18-2004, 11:16 AM
...my mom worked at the bank where Frank and Bo Jackson did their banking...

This thread has pretty much established that Frank is a decent person, but as far as Bo Jackson, I have hear two separate stories of him arriving at the airport for Spring Training (he used to be a Spring Training coach the past few years) where people have asked him for autographs and he started spewing foul language at the people. In one instance he realized what he said was so bad that he apologized to the guy so that might mean he's just got a bad temper.

I also heard a good story about Albert Belle when he signed with the Sox for $10 mil+. Before Spring Training, he and his brother (I think his twin is his personal manager?) were down here purchasing a home and getting things ready, and his brother went to a local health club to purchase a membership for Albert. His brother demanded that the health club throw in a second, free membership for himself. Kind of strange considering Albert's $10 million a year salary and the membership was only a few hundred, unless he didn't pay his brother much to be his manager.

Also, not related to the Sox or anything, but Randy Johnson is a notorious grump, so bad that word is out all over town that if you see him at a restaraunt, STAY AWAY!

Palehose13
01-18-2004, 12:18 PM
I don't know much about Bo, but my mom absolutely loved him. He came inot the bank much more often than Frank and usually had his kids with him. She said he was always in a good mood and a lot of fun. However, when his wife came in it was strictly business. Who knows? Maybe he was always in a good mood cause he was getting money. :smile:

34rancher
01-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Does anyone else see the way though that during their own convention weekend, the Cubs want to talk about Frank Thomas. Notice which paper this article is in. People wonder why I cannot stand the cub organization? It is political moves like this.

NC_sox_fan
01-18-2004, 12:40 PM
These are two good stories I heard last season about the kindness of two guys on the Sox to rookies.

When Josh Stewart was called up to Chicago, I understand that Billy Koch took him shopping and bought him the travel clothes (suits, ties, etc.) that are necessary in the Majors.

Also, Loaiza paid for airfare and got Mario Valenzuela into the all-star game this summer when Mario was rehabbing here in North Carolina.

It's nice to read all these stories about Frank Thomas. I've seen him at spring training when he would sign autographs much longer than any other player. In fact, I've gotten him to sign photos that I've taken of him and he always compliments me on the pictures.

RKMeibalane
01-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Or maybe he thinks Ozzie will bat him 2nd like Manuel did a couple of times, and he's getting ready to steal some bases.

He hit well in that spot. He was 5-10 with a home run. :smile:

doogiec
01-18-2004, 05:30 PM
My son, who is now 17 years old, had several opportunities to meet Thomas when he has younger. Some were very public meetings (along the rail at Sox park before the game, etc) and a couple were a little less public.

No ballplayer treats young fans with more respect than Frank Thomas, during the good years or bad.

While my son will always have the autographed picture, ball etc, he will also remember that not only did Frank sign the item, he took the time to converse with my son as if he was a long time friend, complete with a handshake, slap on the back and a "How you doing, big guy?" comment.

Frank will always be a class act in our book.

When you hear the media define a player as "fan friendly" or not "fan friendly" they are really refering to the lengths the player goes to kiss the media's butt. The media is rarely around when the players are really interacting with the fans.

depy48
01-18-2004, 05:44 PM
i was fortunate enough to get frank's autograph at comiskey a few years back. it was a pre game during batting practice. its something i wont forget, he really does respect the diehard whitesox fans. i really hope that he spends the rest of his career in chicago

hillbilly
01-18-2004, 05:53 PM
For everyone that says Frank is a bad guy cause he bitches and b/c hes not media savvy. He's human and he has things he dislikes and likes. I don't know all examples or specifics about him. In all honesty, however, we should applaud him to some degree because he does allow his fans to get into his head and we actually know what he's thinking. Maybe he is frustrated because he knows the sox lackluster effort to create a winner. I hate beating a dead horse and bringing this matter up again, and i am in no way knocking anybodys opinion of this matter. I'm just giving everyone something to think about. I think of the Budweiser commercial when everyone starts speaking of how an athlete is this and that because how many athletes really speak what they feel when its bad and i understand he probly shouldnt for the sake of the team. It just strikes me as odd that some people write him off as a bad human being (and i understand that articles have been written about him being a jerk, but who isnt on certain days). And im done ranting about this. Just something for all to think about before judging an athlete. :) I'm glad there are some knowledgable people out there like most of you all and im happy to hear these great stories about thomas.

P.S. Ive also heard Albert Belle giving $1 Million when he was with the sox under an alias because he didnt want anyone to think he was doing it for fanfare. Ive also read an article how Belle was said to be the most charitable MLB player for a number of years. Don't remember where i read it cause it was a number of years ago.

Rex Hudler
01-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by hillbilly
P.S. Ive also heard Albert Belle giving $1 Million when he was with the sox under an alias because he didnt want anyone to think he was doing it for fanfare. Ive also read an article how Belle was said to be the most charitable MLB player for a number of years. Don't remember where i read it cause it was a number of years ago.

I have an interesting Albert Belle story, which shows both sides of his personality.

In 1999 the Orioles and Phillies played a pre-season exhibition game at the Hoover Met, home of the Birmingham Barons. Belle was playing in Baltimore and this was the Saturday before the Major League season began. Most of the guys were great about signing autographs before the game, including Cal Ripken Jr., who signed for over an hour straight. Belle wouldn't sign for anyone at all, telling fans rudely that he doesn't do that. He basically told them in a very mean way to leave him the hell alone before a game.

Belle played all 9 innings of the game, including making the final out. After the game, as the Orioles were loading their bus, Belle walks out of the clubhouse toward the bus. They had barricades lined up to give the players a path to the bus and fans were lined up on both sides. Belle walked out, wouldn't even acknowledge one fan, got on the bus and sat down at a window seat in I believe, the first row. He then called over a Barons intern who was helping with crowd control. Belle opened the window by his seat and told the intern to bring the kids to him. Belle sat on that bus and signed autographs for kids only for 20-30 minutes while the other players got on the bus. He was great, laughing and smiling at the kids and having fun. However, showing how he can abrasive, he told one adult who tried to get his autograph to get lost and basically made him look stupid. One kids had an Indians hat on and Belle told him he didn't sign anything for anyone wearing Cleveland stuff, so sorry kid. The kid took off the hat but Belle still wouldn't sign anything for him.

It was a very strange situation to watch him go from being rude before the game, to extremely accommodating after the game, yet mixing in a couple of bits of rudeness between laughs. He is very much a tale of two personalities.

luvsox56
01-19-2004, 12:35 AM
On a somewhat unrelated note, I have seen MANY occasions where Colon would not sign autographs for children or adults before games leaving the hotel. For that reason alone, I was glad that he was not here amymore. Don't get me wrong, he was good for the team. But any guy who doesnt sign for kids is just a jerk. (especially since he tried to play the 'language' card and he has been here for how many years now...)

compy75
01-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Interesting comment about Colon and my experience at Camden Yards last year. My wife (fiance at the time) bought us two tickets first row in left field, so of course we went for BP and what not. She gets a real kick out of getting autographs so she went hawking immediately. Interestingly enough, she got only 2 autographs; Jose Valentin and Colon. SHe thought Colon was rude b/c he didn't say anything but truth is he doesn't speak a lick of english, haha.

Few other random observations:
-Lee spoke all Spanish
-Rowand put on the best BP display I have ever seen, what that means I don't know.
-Gordon was very personable as was Garland, I spoke with them from seat during warmups and even inquired about the "Flash" official name debacle. haha