PDA

View Full Version : Orioles May Increase Ticket Prices Up To 67%

joecrede
01-17-2004, 06:04 PM
How many Sox fans would pay $75 for a field box to see a third place team? Careful what payroll you wish for.

Link (http://www.sunspot.net/sports/baseball/bal-te.sp.ostickets17jan17,0,7458826.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball)

soxfan26
01-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
How many Sox fans would pay $75 for a field box to see a third place team? Careful what payroll you wish for.

Link (http://www.sunspot.net/sports/baseball/bal-te.sp.ostickets17jan17,0,7458826.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball)

With the moves the Blue Jays have made, and the O's lack of a formidable rotation, fourth place is more like it.

Fenway
01-17-2004, 08:54 PM
you ask an interesting question.

would fans in Chicago be willing to pay Boston prices in return for a playoff team?

Field Box: $75

Loge Box: $70

Roof Box: $70

Infield Grandstand: $44

Right Field Roof: $44

Right Field Box: $44

Outfield Grandstand: $27

Bleacher: $20

Upper Bleacher: $12

and today the Red Sox announced
As you are most likely aware, we are currently experiencing one of the most exciting times in Red Sox history. The interest in season ticket packages is at an all time high.

Unfortunately, we are sold out of the ticket inventory for 2004 season tickets.

In order to manage and prioritize your request we are starting a Priority Season Ticket Waiting List. Please call 877-redsox-9 for information on how you can join.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/ticketing/bos_ticketing_info.jsp

CubKilla
01-18-2004, 12:26 AM

Does it really matter? JR raised the prices on the best seats for next season and has, to date, done absolutely ZERO to improve this ballclub.

At least the O's and Red Sox made moves that should improve their respective teams from last season. Sox fans are paying for renovations that US Cellular agreed to pay for in exchange for naming rights.

dickallen15
01-18-2004, 02:12 PM
White Sox fans complain when they buy tickets to the upper deck and have to sit there. They don't want to shell out the $6 to sit in the lower deck. No way would they go for the Boston or New York pricing. The top end White Sox tickets are as cheap as any in MLB. The problem is their lowest price ticket is

joecrede
01-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Does it really matter? JR raised the prices on the best seats for next season and has, to date, done absolutely ZERO to improve this ballclub.[/COLOR]

The White Sox should draw better than the Orioles this year. They have much cheaper ticket prices and just as good a chance to make the playoffs.

kempsted
01-18-2004, 07:13 PM
The White Sox should draw better than the Orioles this year. They have much cheaper ticket prices and just as good a chance to make the playoffs.
Actually the Sox have a much better chance of making the playoffs but the O's will probably be better than the Sox.

MisterB
01-19-2004, 02:15 AM

Not a chance. As I stated in another thread, the O's have been under .500 for the last 6 years and have drawn 3 million plus for all but the last two (and they still drew over 2.4 mil last year.) But on the southside we think 1.9 mil is a good attendance...

hsnterprize
01-19-2004, 08:33 AM
The White Sox should draw better than the Orioles this year. They have much cheaper ticket prices and just as good a chance to make the playoffs. If all things were equal, then I'd agree with that statement. However, here are a couple of intangibles...first, Oriole Park at Camden Yards is a tourist attraction that'll draw many affluent casual fans regardless of how good the team is. It's not as bas as Wrigley Field, but the ballpark is a draw. Secondly, as previously stated, the Orioles have made a legitimate effort to improve from last year, while the Sox have not.

I'll tell ya what would bring the fans to the Cell...the ouster of Jerry Reinsdorf and a legit effort from the new team management to make the Sox a winner.

anewman35
01-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
[color=red] Secondly, as previously stated, the Orioles have made a legitimate effort to improve from last year, while the Sox have not.[COLOR]

The big question to me is, what should matter more, the current team's chances for a playoff, or how much that team has improved. Take the White Sox and Tigers. The Tigers have improved a lot more, but the White Sox are a better team - I don't get why would people rather see the Tigers? I guess for a lot of people, the illusion of getting better matters, but I can't understand why.

CubKilla
01-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
I guess for a lot of people, the illusion of getting better matters, but I can't understand why.

Because the Division is so weak that a real owner would have made a few moves to increase the odds of a 1st Place finish in easily the worst Division in baseball?

Because the Sox finished in 2nd Place the last two seasons when, on paper, the Sox should have won their Division in both '02 and '03. If the Sox can't win the Division with the teams they had those years, how the hell can a person realistically expect the White Sox to contend when we don't have a 2B that can hit, a question mark in CF, no 4th or 5th starters, and a BP full of holes and question marks? I forgot..... MIN had a firesale too so let's play to the opposition in terms of moves in our Division.

Some prefer to bury their head in the sand and tell themselves all is good. I'm not one of them.

anewman35
01-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Because the Division is so weak that a real owner would have made a few moves to increase the odds of a 1st Place finish in easily the worst Division in baseball?

Answer this question, though: Which team would you rather watch - the Tigers, who have vastly improved their team but will still be horrible, or the White Sox, who haven't done a damn thing but will still compete for the division title? Would you let your hatred of the ownership blind yourself to the fact that the Sox are still, all things considered, a decent team?

I'll put it another way - let's say you have $10, but your friend doesn't have any. One day, somebody gives your friend $5, takes $3 from you. Aren't you still better off than your friend?

CubKilla
01-19-2004, 01:20 PM
the Sox are still, all things considered, a decent team?

In the AL Central. Put this team as is in another Division..... better yet..... put them in a 5-game playoff against a Division winner and they'd be owned.

steff
01-19-2004, 01:26 PM
In the AL Central. Put this team as is in another Division..... better yet..... put them in a 5-game playoff against a Division winner and they'd be owned.

Killa.. I can't wait to see you and slap that chip off your shoulder!!! :D:

CubKilla
01-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by steff
Killa.. I can't wait to see you and slap that chip off your shoulder!!! :D:

You're not gonna see me at the ballpark unless you give me a free ticket :D:

But I'll probably be there for Opening Day. I should be able to liberate a free ticket or two. So bring your slapping gloves :D:

steff
01-19-2004, 01:32 PM
You're not gonna see me at the ballpark unless you give me a free ticket :D:

But I'll probably be there for Opening Day. I should be able to liberate a free ticket or two. So bring your slapping gloves :D:

I'll see you next weekend... right??

CubKilla
01-19-2004, 01:33 PM
I'll see you next weekend... right??

Maybe at the Atrium Bar. I'm not going to SoxFest though.

steff
01-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Maybe at the Atrium Bar. I'm not going to SoxFest though.

Yea.. I know that. I will be calling Mike as soon as I get confirmation on who is using our extras. We might have tickets for you guys. I'll let him know as soon as I do.

ND_Sox_Fan
01-19-2004, 01:39 PM
I'll put it another way - let's say you have $10, but your friend doesn't have any. One day, somebody gives your friend $5, takes $3 from you. Aren't you still better off than your friend?

Yes, but what is more aggrivating, insulting, and senseless to fans? Being two steps away and instead of going forward, taking two backwards or being 5 years away and beginning to take steps towards that goal?

At least the Tigers have a plan that they are beginning to unfold. I don't agree with they way they decided to rebuild, but they did act.

We don't seem to have a strategic plan that includes winning any time soon. That is part of what is upsetting and makes the ticket prices relatively low for the Sox - think of a stock price. What would you be willing to pay for a company that is going down the shoots and its ownership has its collective head so far up its anal cavity that it is now somewhere near the lungs. Other factors include disposable income of the average fan.

The greater problem with the Tigers and the Sox may be an owner who owns teams in two different sports leagues. I would love to see this made illegal so that tightwads can't just spend money in one league (or in neither - see Reinsdwarf). Let's force them to spend thier money on one team - especially in the capless MLB.

CubKilla
01-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Yea.. I know that. I will be calling Mike as soon as I get confirmation on who is using our extras. We might have tickets for you guys. I'll let him know as soon as I do.

Aight. Thanks.