PDA

View Full Version : Sox Community Outreach

E Coast Sox Fan
01-17-2004, 05:37 PM
As a kid growing up in the 70s (probably when Bill Veeck owned the team), I remember that the Sox used to give away two free general admission tickets to Southside kids who got straight A's in school or perfect attendance. Does anyone else remember this?

What a great loss leader. When my brother and I got them, the whole family would go (i.e. we'd buy extra tickets, parking, food, etc.). It was a great promotion that had to make money. What family was going to tell their kids that they couldn't use the free Sox tickets they earned. Most importantly, it also created fan loyalty among kids. A great way to cultivate future fans.

I think that the community relations dept. should consider similar promotions again. I bet they could get lots of business partners to help because it promotes kids doing well in school.

Just a thought.

:lsox

hftrex
01-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Sounds like a great idea. One of the few positive suggestions ever made by anyone on this forum.

voodoochile
01-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by hftrex
Sounds like a great idea. One of the few positive suggestions ever made by anyone on this forum.

Do you have a problem with the posters on this website? If so, why do you feel the need to post here at all?

If all you want to do is slam the posters and the site, maybe you should go look around until you find a place you like better...

voodoochile
01-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
As a kid growing up in the 70s (probably when Bill Veeck owned the team), I remember that the Sox used to give away two free general admission tickets to Southside kids who got straight A's in school or perfect attendance. Does anyone else remember this?

What a great loss leader. When my brother and I got them, the whole family would go (i.e. we'd buy extra tickets, parking, food, etc.). It was a great promotion that had to make money. What family was going to tell their kids that they couldn't use the free Sox tickets they earned. Most importantly, it also created fan loyalty among kids. A great way to cultivate future fans.

I think that the community relations dept. should consider similar promotions again. I bet they could get lots of business partners to help because it promotes kids doing well in school.

Just a thought.

:lsox

They do this on a school by school basis now, don't they? They give away tickets for a day game to every kid who made the grade and then the whole group goes together, IIRC.

hftrex
01-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, so many of the posters here only present ideas with either threats attatched or in a negative manner, it was most refreshing to see an idea presented without any of that baggage.

What's this about "slamming" the other posters or the site?

voodoochile
01-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by hftrex
Well, so many of the posters here only present ideas with either threats attatched or in a negative manner, it was most refreshing to see an idea presented without any of that baggage.

What's this about "slamming" the other posters or the site?

One of the few positive suggestions ever made by anyone on this forum.

That's not a slam? The shots at Hal in the other thread are not a slam?

I think they are.

john2499
01-17-2004, 05:48 PM

Yes, I remember. I remember never qualifying for either of them, straight A's or perfect attendance.

E Coast Sox Fan
01-17-2004, 05:49 PM
If they do, that's awesome. I loved that promotion as a kid.

I just haven't heard anyone talk about it for years.

ewokpelts
01-17-2004, 05:54 PM
If they do, that's awesome. I loved that promotion as a kid.

I just haven't heard anyone talk about it for years.

It still exists. I think Dominick's and Acme Steel sponsor it. My girlfriend's sister is in grade school, and she get them. For perfect attendance or good grades.
Gene

dickallen15
01-17-2004, 05:56 PM
It still exists. One thing that Sox fans shouldn't complain about is all the things the organization does for kids. With their half priced nights, their kids day Sundays etc. They also have quietly renovated or built new numerous baseball diamonds all over the city. The Cubs built one, and made a big deal out of hit, even Corky Wifebeater showed up. It was on all the local news stations.

E Coast Sox Fan
01-17-2004, 06:03 PM
I wasn't complaining. I think this stuff is great.

I just didn't know the programs was in place anymore. It's been years since, I've had a direct connection to elementary school and I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

The Critic
01-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by john2499
Yes, I remember. I remember never qualifying for either of them, straight A's or perfect attendance.

I remember the promotion VERY well, and I DID qualify for BOTH requirements!
:D:
I did well in grammar school, but settled into solid C's in high school. Oh well....

nut_stock
01-17-2004, 11:32 PM
I used to get the free tickets for grades, except they were St. Louis Cardinals' tickets. Usually Row 23 (the last row) in the left field upperdeck.

Thunderstruck30
01-18-2004, 12:53 AM
I made Honor Roll last year and I got a similar offer. It was either 2 free upper deck tickets, or 2 half price lower deck tickets. There were about 10 choices for the date.

ewokpelts
01-18-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
It still exists. One thing that Sox fans shouldn't complain about is all the things the organization does for kids. With their half priced nights, their kids day Sundays etc. They also have quietly renovated or built new numerous baseball diamonds all over the city. The Cubs built one, and made a big deal out of hit, even Corky Wifebeater showed up. It was on all the local news stations.

dont forget the training academy....even though it makes money, i think it's great to have out there
Gene

doublem23
01-18-2004, 03:25 AM
When I was in grade school (granted, six years ago), we would get stuff from the Sox offering discounted family coupons. It was a limited selection of games but it was still a good time. And they had it in the whole city, as I went to a Catholic grammar school on the Northwest side.

I know a big thing White Sox Charities does now is upkeep a lot of baseball diamonds in the Chicagoland area. Every park by my house is very nice since the Sox came in and helped out. Also, at the park district I work at (Skokie), they offer a three-week baseball skills seminar for middle school aged kids through the park district. That was a real nice program and at the end of the three weeks, they selected some kids to play a game at U.S. Cellular Field.

michned
01-18-2004, 03:48 AM
...they also have quietly renovated or built new numerous baseball diamonds all over the city...

They have also built baseball diamonds here in Tucson. One complex they built is in a completely blighted area (only about 1 1/2 miles from Tucson Electric Park, but that's another story) and the pride the locals took from it literally changed the face and attitude of the whole neighborhood.