PDA

View Full Version : tigers offer deal to ivan

mike squires
01-17-2004, 03:52 PM
i saw on yahoo sports, the tigers have offered ivan a 4 year 10 million contract. he's far from his old self, but yet again here is a team in our division attempting to improve themselves.

voodoochile
01-17-2004, 03:54 PM
I assume that is 10M/year not total, correct?

mike squires
01-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I assume that is 10M/year not total, correct?

Correct. Even if it wasn't, the Sox couldn't top that 10M/total. Isn't that depressing.

depy48
01-17-2004, 06:05 PM
i believe that pudge will look for another one year deal, so he can test free agency once the '04 season passes. i dont think he'll want to sit in detroit for four years, without the prospect of a winning team. pudge tends to get bored, when he isnt surrounded by a winner, this is evident by is final few years in texas. the only way i see pudge in a tigers uniform is for the press conference, before pudge requests a trade out of detroit to florida...

Jjav829
01-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by depy48
i believe that pudge will look for another one year deal, so he can test free agency once the '04 season passes. i dont think he'll want to sit in detroit for four years, without the prospect of a winning team. pudge tends to get bored, when he isnt surrounded by a winner, this is evident by is final few years in texas. the only way i see pudge in a tigers uniform is for the press conference, before pudge requests a trade out of detroit to florida...

This is as good as it gets. If he is content having won one World Series and is now looking to cash in, he'll grab this offer. If money isn't his biggest concern then he may look to go somewhere else (ie the Cubs) for less money. Next year he'll be another year older with another year of wear and tear on his 33 year old knees. The Orioles deal makes sense in that he can possibly prolong his catching career for another year by splitting time catching with Lopez but still being able to pad his hitting stats. But his chances of getting offered this much money again is very slim.

mdep524
01-17-2004, 06:42 PM
IRod is all about the money. That is the ONLY thing he cares about. That's the only reason he signed with Florida last year, and it's the only reason he's considering Detroit now. What kind of a player walks away from a defending world champion team where he was the well-respected, well-liked team leader and MVP to go to the worst team in the last 40 years of baseball? All for an extra $2 million or so per year. He's purely money-driven, and thus the perfect client for his agent, Scot Boras. I doubt he'll be in Detroit past '05, if he even makes it through '04 wothout demanding a trade.

Jjav829
01-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
IRod is all about the money. That is the ONLY thing he cares about. That's the only reason he signed with Florida last year, and it's the only reason he's considering Detroit now. What kind of a player walks away from a defending world champion team where he was the well-respected, well-liked team leader and MVP to go to the worst team in the last 40 years of baseball? All for an extra $2 million or so per year. He's purely money-driven, and thus the perfect client for his agent, Scot Boras. I doubt he'll be in Detroit past '05, if he even makes it through '04 wothout demanding a trade.

Well said. I agree with you. He'll probably grab this deal so that he knows he has his money locked up, and after a year of playing with the crappy Tigers he'll demand a trade knowing that he can go someplace better and get his money anyway.