PDA

View Full Version : M*A*S*H* White Sox Mention

Lip Man 1
01-17-2004, 01:19 PM
It has occasionally been asked / mentioned on these boards by fans who wonder about references to the Sox in movies and or TV.

Well here's another one for the archive.

In the M*A*S*H* episode entitled "Post - Op" (5th season) Col. Potter mentions to a wounded soldier from Chicago that he was stationed outside of Chicago and would often go to town and raise some hell. He also said that he'd get off the train "and see the White Sox in Comiskey Park."

Hey at least it's something on another dreary winter day of White Sox inactivity!

Lip

ewokpelts
01-17-2004, 02:31 PM
there's a sox pennant in used cars, starring kurt russell. Robert Zemeckis, the director, was a southsider. it's a blink and you'll miss it moment.
Gene

CubKilla
01-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
there's a sox pennant in used cars, starring kurt russell. Robert Zemeckis, the director, was a southsider. it's a blink and you'll miss it moment.
Gene

I heard Zemeckis is a HUGE Cubs fan. "Back to the Future 2" had the Cubs beating Miami in the WS.

voodoochile
01-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Gene

One of the funniest movies of all time, IMO. The scene where they interupt Carter's SOTU address is pure comedy genius...

oldcomiskey
01-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It has occasionally been asked / mentioned on these boards by fans who wonder about references to the Sox in movies and or TV.

Well here's another one for the archive.

In the M*A*S*H* episode entitled "Post - Op" (5th season) Col. Potter mentions to a wounded soldier from Chicago that he was stationed outside of Chicago and would often go to town and raise some hell. He also said that he'd get off the train "and see the White Sox in Comiskey Park."

Hey at least it's something on another dreary winter day of White Sox inactivity!

Lip

Lip, I think Potter said he caught the Sox at wrigley field to set up the next line

soxwon
01-17-2004, 03:04 PM
in Breakfast Club fillmed at old maine north high school, the janitor(it figures) was wearing i believe a 1983 sox jersey-shirt.

michned
01-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Gene

That is one of my favorite movies, but I must have blinked! What scene was that in?

Paulwny
01-17-2004, 03:20 PM
One of the writers on "Hill Street Blues" was a sox fan. He would often use names of late 1950's sox players. I remember 1 episode where the "bad guys" were Pierce and Esposito.

SpringfldFan
01-17-2004, 03:41 PM
The ultimate IMO:

"Only the Lonely" featuring John Candy and Ally Sheedy having a midnight picnic right in the middle of the old Comiskey park grass, with the scoreboard shooting fireworks at the end. I cannot believe nobody brought this one up.

Palehose13
01-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Of course there is "Ladies Man" where a message for "Sweet Thang" is on the Trinitron. AND "Hardball" where Reeves takes his team to the Sox/cubs game at Comiskey and Shammy waves to the team. Unfortunately they are all Sammy fans and are at Comiskey to see the scrubs. :(
Don't forget "A Christmas Story" where the father mentions the Sox while reading the paper!
And wasn't there a Julia Robert's movie where they were at Comiskey. "My Best Friend's Wedding" maybe?

ewokpelts
01-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

One of the funniest movies of all time, IMO. The scene where they interupt Carter's SOTU address is pure comedy genius...
we need marshall lucky to blow up some stuff at the cell...
"the price of these tickets are way too %#$%# high!"
Originally posted by michned

That is one of my favorite movies, but I must have blinked! What scene was that in?

the bar scene...right at the very beginning of it...it's just right of the tv

Originally posted by SpringfldFan
The ultimate IMO:

"Only the Lonely" featuring John Candy and Ally Sheedy having a midnight picnic right in the middle of the old Comiskey park grass, with the scoreboard shooting fireworks at the end. I cannot believe nobody brought this one up.

great flick...it makes up for john huges' making uncle buck live across the street from the urinal...LOVE the comiskey scene
Gene

john2499
01-17-2004, 04:55 PM
I was just watching this special on CMT about Tim McGraw. In one of the photos of him and his father, Tim is wearing a present day Sox cap.

jortafan
01-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
And wasn't there a Julia Robert's movie where they were at Comiskey. "My Best Friend's Wedding" maybe?

How can you forget one of the all-time great confrontations of cinema, a Julia Roberts/Cameron Diaz catfight in the women's washroom at Comiskey, with some rather tough lookin' broads wearing Sox stuff watching.

I never realized there could be so much action in the ladies room of a ballpark.

Lip Man 1
01-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Old Comiskey:

Nope...I have that episode on DVD just watched it last night.

He says he took the train (the el?) to see the Sox at Comiskey.

Lip

Thunderstruck30
01-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Wasnt there a scene in Rookie of the Year shot at Comiskey? I think they were playing the Dodgers. I know, I know, I shouldnt have watched that movie but I was young, give me a break.

CLR01
01-18-2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Wasnt there a scene in Rookie of the Year shot at Comiskey? I think they were playing the Dodgers. I know, I know, I shouldnt have watched that movie but I was young, give me a break.

Yeah i'm pretty sure Comiskey park is used for Dodger stadium in that movie.

:reinsy
"I was so proud of that scene."

oldcomiskey
01-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Old Comiskey:

Nope...I have that episode on DVD just watched it last night.

He says he took the train (the el?) to see the Sox at Comiskey.

Lip

then what was the line in which prompted Potter to ask if the soldier had ever been to detroit---oh I know what is was----it was when he said the two streets intersected--I dont remeber which streets

oldcomiskey
01-18-2004, 01:53 PM
In Major League the Indians clinch the division against the Sox in those ugly unis of that day

LongLiveFisk
01-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Anything positive on the White Sox is great where TV and movies are concerned.

I'll tell you one negative one that really ticked me off. I really like the show "Married With Children" but there's this Christmas episode with Sam Kinison who serves as Al Bundy's guardian angel, and Al who is bemoaning his miserable life, makes the comment (something like), "What else can God do, give me one more wife? Two more kids? Make me a White Sox fan?" Now this was back in 1989, a terrible year for Sox fans since the Sox finished last, and of course our north side rivals finished first.

I know it's just a tv show, but sitting there watching it in the presence of Cubs fans was the absolute worst. THANK YOU, Married With Children writers!! :angry:

Dick Allen
01-18-2004, 04:21 PM
At the end of the race in Breaking Away, in the celebration, you can clearly see an extra wearing a Sox helmet. It's not much, but nice to see "one of us" make it into camera range.

ode to veeck
01-18-2004, 04:52 PM
I'll tell you one negative one that really ticked me off. I really like the show "Married With Children" but there's this Christmas episode with Sam Kinison who serves as Al Bundy's guardian angel, and Al who is bemoaning his miserable life, makes the comment (something like), "What else can God do, give me one more wife? Two more kids? Make me a White Sox fan?"

What a screw up on the part of the writers, I always thought "Married with Children" reminded me of 500 people I know from Cicero, where Sox fans outnumber Flubs fans by a wide margin.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2004, 11:48 PM
The two intersections was when Potter was talking about going to Wrigley to see the Cubs. When the soldier corrects him Potter says 'baseball is a wonderful game regardless of where it's played!' Then he asks the soldier 'have you ever been to Detroit?'

also in the movie Supergirl, there is a shot at night of her flying over the city. She "flies" directly over a lit up Comiskey. The movie came out in 1984 but this sequence was shot in 1983 because the All Star Game logos are still painted on the field in the outfield.

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-18-2004, 11:50 PM
and in the movie Running Scared, Gregory Hines (RIP) plays a detective who is a Sox fan. He wears the hat the Sox used from 1982 - 1987. He also wears a Payton jersey while Billy Crystal wears a Cub jersey (#10) and wears a hawks red jersey.

The movie really showcased Chicago's teams.

Lip

voodoochile
01-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Anything positive on the White Sox is great where TV and movies are concerned.

I'll tell you one negative one that really ticked me off. I really like the show "Married With Children" but there's this Christmas episode with Sam Kinison who serves as Al Bundy's guardian angel, and Al who is bemoaning his miserable life, makes the comment (something like), "What else can God do, give me one more wife? Two more kids? Make me a White Sox fan?" Now this was back in 1989, a terrible year for Sox fans since the Sox finished last, and of course our north side rivals finished first.

I know it's just a tv show, but sitting there watching it in the presence of Cubs fans was the absolute worst. THANK YOU, Married With Children writers!! :angry:

Listen to that line again. It isn't that being a Sox fan is bad, it's that it's torture because they never win the championship. What's that quote? To be a Sox fan absolves a man from all further forms of pennance. It's in someone's signature. That line is just another way of saying the same thing. It's more of an "I share your vast pain" then a "you suck" comment, IMO.

There is actually a whole thread I started after watching this episode in December on rerun. Search the Parking Lot for Bubdy and you should find it at the top of the list.

TommyJohn
01-19-2004, 12:32 AM
The TV remake of "The Kid From Left Field" with Gary Coleman
(I have searched for it on tape and cannot find it) features the
San Diego Padres playing the White Sox in the World Series.
The Pads go up 3-0 before Gary is taken to a foster home (he
was the manager.) The Sox bounce back to tie the series 3-3
and are winning in the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 when
Gary Collins steps up to the plate and hits a dramatic two out
home run to win the series for San Diego and send Jay Mariotti into spasms of ecstasy that make him temporarily forget his "Lynch Bartman in the media" campaign. All ends happily
for San Diego.

The White Sox in the movie wear uniforms that are very close
to the Sunday black top uni's that they have now. They are
managed in the film by Tab Hunter.

An old episode of "Diff'rent Strokes" also mentions them. A
date of Mr. Drummond comes to the door and asks where he
is. Willis, covering for him, says "He went to Chicago."

"Why?" The woman asks.

"To check out the White Sox!" says Willis.

Later, I recall Mr. Drummond saying "why does everyone think
that I went to Chicago?"

The same woman repeats Willis' line: "To check out the White
Sox!"

SouthSideHitman
01-19-2004, 12:40 AM
I know that there were many scenes from Little Big League, a movie which I've seen far too many times, filmed in New Comiskey. It was used as both itself and Yankee Stadium. In the movie (set circa 1994) the Twins are swept by the Sox as Alex Fernandez dominates them on the mound. The main character then rediscovers his pure love of baseball in a game of stickball in the streets of Chicago. A good look for our city even if a kid in the game was wearing a flubs shirt.

Another Sox mention was on That 70's Show last year Lori remarks "I hit rock bottom when I was in Chicago. But I did sleep with one of the White Sox. At least, I thought it was. It turned out that it was just a frat boy wearing a White Sox hat.

I'd also just like to note how sick we are all to the point of remembering every possible use of the Sox image or name in any media and how good it is to be among those who share in my sickness.

TommyJohn
01-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman

I'd also just like to note how sick we are all to the point of remembering every possible use of the Sox image or name in any media and how good it is to be among those who share in my sickness.

That's why I chose those two quotes below as my signature. If I were enjoying the waking hours more, I probably wouldn't remember "The Kid From Left Field" or anything that Todd Bridges said or did.

Hangar18
01-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn

An old episode of "Diff'rent Strokes" also mentions them. A
date of Mr. Drummond comes to the door and asks where he
is. Willis, covering for him, says "He went to Chicago."

"Why?" The woman asks.

"To check out the White Sox!" says Willis.

Later, I recall Mr. Drummond saying "why does everyone think
that I went to Chicago?"

The same woman repeats Willis' line: "To check out the White
Sox!"

that is hilarious .........Wouldnt it be cool to have a videotape,
with 3 or 4 minute clips, of any and all of these episodes where
the Beloved are mentioned like this? that is hilarious. Esp
the mention in the 70's show.

LongLiveFisk
01-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Listen to that line again. It isn't that being a Sox fan is bad, it's that it's torture because they never win the championship. What's that quote? To be a Sox fan absolves a man from all further forms of pennance. It's in someone's signature. That line is just another way of saying the same thing. It's more of an "I share your vast pain" then a "you suck" comment, IMO.

There is actually a whole thread I started after watching this episode in December on rerun. Search the Parking Lot for Bubdy and you should find it at the top of the list.

Ok, I'll check for it.....

And actually, this quote by Al Bundy is meant to be demeaning to the Sox, especially considering if you saw enough episodes, you know that AL is a Cubs fan.

Foulke You
01-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Ok, I know I've mentioned this before so if you are hearing it again, I apologize but we always have new posters here at WSI who might not have known:

The famous scene in Ferris Buehler's Day Off where Ferris and pals are at Wrigley Field was actually supposed to be shot at Old Comiskey Park and obviously was going to be a Sox game. In the commentary track on the DVD, director John Hughes (who is a Sox fan) said that the Sox were unfortunately out of town and they only had a limited amount of time to shoot the scene. Plus, the Sox played mostly night games and they needed to shoot it during the day. He finally got to do his Comiskey scene in the movie "Only the Lonely" which is a good movie but no Ferris Bueller.

"The scene turned out great but y'know, it was the wrong team."

-John Hughes