PDA

View Full Version : deeppink FANTASY: What if JR really did sell the Sox to Donald Trump?

Frater Perdurabo
01-17-2004, 11:45 AM
FANTASY: WHAT IF JR REALLY DID SELL THE SOX TO DONALD TRUMP

This rumor has been circulating over the past few days. I think it speaks more to our boredom and frustration over the Sox' lack of activity with trades or free agent signings.

But if it were to happen, what would your first reaction be?

I think I would instantly mess my pants.

SoxxoS
01-17-2004, 12:13 PM
It would probably be the greatest day in my life as a Sox fan. It's sad I have nothing on the field to say that would be the "greatest."

WSI would probably have a record number of people on (even more than the Colon trade, which was a year ago today, BTW). It's getting me excited just thinking about it, then I have to be brought back down.

CubKilla
01-17-2004, 12:13 PM
It would be like the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders. I'd sleep as soundly that night as I did when the Marlins eliminated the sCrUBS from the NLCS. I'd then proceed to buy a season ticket package.

soxnut
01-17-2004, 12:20 PM
It would be world-class everything. And the Sox would start getting respect in the media as well. We would actually have a front office that ran the organization like it was a major league franchise. How do we get him to sign up for this? :(: :D: :smile: :?:

OneDog
01-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Trump does not strike me as a capable baseball man. I think if he ran a sports franchise, he would be like Dan Snyder of the Redskins. He would spend for the sake of spending and the Sox would sink under a heavy payroll and impossible to reach expectations.

If Trump hires a competant baseball staff around him, trusts them to do their job, and just cuts the checks, it could work. But he seems way to egotistical for that. At the first sign of trouble, Trump would run his mouth and clean house.

All that being said, he can't be any worse then Uncle Jerry.

jabrch
01-17-2004, 03:11 PM
would be to buy season tickets.

Trump is a smart businessman who believes in GROWTH. JR is a smart businessman who is more than happy to maintain a profitable status quo rather than take risks.

Trump would build an aggressive plan to improve the team this season. It may not work - (See Baltimore and Texas) but at least it would give us something to get excited about.

Trump would not be willing to accept the mediocrity and lack of (front office) managerial results that we are forced to accept under JR.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Get beyond Trump's exorbitant wealth. Lots of multi-millionaires are wealthy enough to own a ballclub and many of them would be willing to lavish money on their team. Donald Trump fits both of these categories but neither of them is why he would be a terrific owner for the Sox.

DONALD TRUMP HAS THE *GIANT EGO* TO BE A GREAT OWNER.

Trump is probably the only person who has a bigger ego than George Steinbrenner. Neither of them will settle for anything less than absolute top position. Steinbrenner can outspend everyone else in baseball, but he won't be able to outspend Trump, not because of Trump's wallet (there are corporate owners like the Cubune with much thicker wallets than Trump's) but because Trump's EGO is too big to settle for anything less than championships.

The Cubune is perfectly willing to settle for second-place, or even last-place. They have more money than Trump, but Trump has the EGO to spend it. His EGO prevents him from going cheap.

Trump is the anti-Reinsdorf. He would consider everything the Sox did on the field a direct reflection on himself.

:reinsy
"Nothing my Sox do is a reflection on me. I've said a thousand times, in a million different ways, it is *always* the fans' fault."

:ohno
"And that in a nutshell is why you are despised."

vegyrex
01-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Trump buying the Sox would be the single most important thing to happen in Sox history.

But if such a thing were to happen, could the Cubune block it? :?:

Baby Fisk
01-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Trump's motivation would be to take on Steinbrenner mano-a-mano. He can't have the Yanks or the Mets, so why not go for a Chicago team? What would a Trump ownership be like? He would spend wildly for a couple of seasons until one of two things happened:

a) the drunken spending spree buys a World Series ring and Trump is carried through the streets of the South Side in some sort of fancy gilded sedan chair by delirious fans; or

b) his team of fat, overpaid players collapses under high expectations, and Trump loses interest. He either sells or becomes an absentee owner.

NATURALLY, MY SPIDER SENSE TELLS ME THAT a) WOULD HAPPEN! GO TRUMP GO!

Ziffman
01-18-2004, 01:05 AM
Donald Trump. Bah.

voodoochile
01-18-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Ziffman
Donald Trump. Bah.

What's this a billionaire catfight? :D:

Remember, Trump is building his latest skyscraper on the site of the old Sun-Times shack that sits on prime real estate along the Chicago River between Wabash and Michigan Avenues.

Not saying he is really in the running for the Sox, but he is going to have a big local presence real soon.

CLR01
01-18-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
What's this a billionaire catfight? :D:

Remember, Trump is building his latest skyscraper on the site of the old Sun-Times shack that sits on prime real estate along the Chicago River between Wabash and Michigan Avenues.

Not saying he is really in the running for the Sox, but he is going to have a big local presence real soon.

I am beginning to think he is looking for our next GM with this apprentice T.V. show.

jabrch
01-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
I am beginning to think he is looking for our next GM with this apprentice T.V. show.

I think that is how JR found Kenny Williams!

white sox bill
01-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Trump as owner!!!

Now pass the bowl my way

SSN721
01-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Would definately be very excited at the prospect, other than the trump tower going up on the CHicago river is there anymore evidence of him wanting to get more involved in Chicago real estate or sports frachises? I hope it is true he wants to buy a team here, hopefully he left one floor in the tower empty for himself so he can replicate his extravagant manhattan condo and have a nice second home here. Would probably go out an buy season tickets the day it was announced. :)

Hangar18
01-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

its for that reason that he SHOULD buy the SOX.
Makes total sense and would be smart of him. Sell Jerry Sell

white sox bill
01-19-2004, 11:07 AM
He'd probably buy season tix to the Scrubs :angry: