PDA

View Full Version : breathing new life into old subject


gcgill2
01-17-2004, 07:08 AM
According to poster on CBSSportsline:

Whitesox& Dodgers blockbuster trade
Posted by straycats23
Jan 17, 7:34 am
According to Ken Rosenthal of fox sports and sporting news radio reported that the trade will happen soon that would send Paul Korenko,Mags Ordonez, and cash to LA for Odalis Perez,Gullermino Mota,Edwin Jackson,Greg Miller and Juan Encarnion.

anyone else hear this? what do you think?

gosox41
01-17-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by gcgill2
According to poster on CBSSportsline:



anyone else hear this? what do you think?

I didn't hear it, but the deal does sound interesting. It depends on how much cash the Sox throw to the Dodgers. They need to leave enough money to fill some of their holes.

Bob

DirtySouthsider
01-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by gcgill2
According to poster on CBSSportsline:



anyone else hear this? what do you think?


I really doubt there is ANY truth to this....it sounds ridculious. The Dodgers give up WAAAY too much.

But for the Sox.....Do it NOW!!!

Rex Hudler
01-17-2004, 10:12 AM
I think someone has too much time on their hands or doesn't have the intelligence to understand that there have been separate trade rumors involving Ordonez and Konerko.

The Sox are already asking for too much from the Dodgers for Ordonez. This deal when considering $$ would make it way too one-sided for the White Sox.

SoxxoS
01-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Rosenthal must have been high on something...they don't want to give up Miller OR Jackson...and that is for Ordonez by himself. Add Konerko in there is actually worse for the trade, so they wouldn't want to add both prospects to the mix. No way.

CubKilla
01-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by gcgill2
According to poster on CBSSportsline:



anyone else hear this? what do you think?

Stop dragging your feet KW. Get it done NOW! Sounds entirely too good to be true so I doubt it will go down like Rosenthal said it would.

mdep524
01-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Maggs and Konerko plus cash for Perez, Mota, Miller, Jackson and Encarnacion????

Miller AND Jackson??? Arew you kidding me? That is waaay too good to be true. If that offer is on the table take it, Kenny, take it NOW.

OEO Magglio
01-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Another trade rumor that will never happen, but if it did, that would be unbelievable.

jeremyb1
01-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Rosenthal must have been high on something...they don't want to give up Miller OR Jackson...and that is for Ordonez by himself. Add Konerko in there is actually worse for the trade, so they wouldn't want to add both prospects to the mix. No way.

Well, it looks like the post is from a message board so its possible the poster simply misinterpreted Miller or Jackson as Miller and Jackson. As far as Konerko goes, there's cash involved so if we're paying the majority of his salary over the next two seasons it wouldn't be a burden for L.A. to take him. Perhaps Evans still likes him from his days with the Sox and would like to have him for cheap.

depy48
01-17-2004, 01:23 PM
i think that there has been too many rumors for the whitesox not to do anything. jr and kw know that sox fans have heard these potential trades, so i think that its only matter of time before something goes down...

jabrch
01-17-2004, 01:26 PM
:reinsy

"Send CASH to the Dodgers? NO! I don't give cash to anyone"

lowesox
01-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by depy48
i think that there has been too many rumors for the whitesox not to do anything. jr and kw know that sox fans have heard these potential trades, so i think that its only matter of time before something goes down...

You're forgetting that KW and JR don't give a rats ass about the fans.

kittle42
01-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by gcgill2
According to poster on CBSSportsline:

Anyone who read further than this wasted their time.

SoxOnTop
01-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider

But for the Sox.....Do it NOW!!!

Are you people joking? Our All-Star RFer and one time all-star 1B for a solid Reliever, a SP who had a 4.00 ERA at Dodger Stadium last year, an RF'er who's career OPS is the same as Aaron Rowand and 2 prospects? You people are cheaper than JR.

Anything less than an all-star caliber player for Mags is an absolute crime.

mike squires
01-17-2004, 02:32 PM
I agree, I wouldn't do this trade either. Get some pitching...of course, it's hard to replace a .300 40 homerun man. Let Ordonez stay, sign him for cheaper than we thought after this season. I want to see Maggs in a Sox for a few more years at least. I'd hate to see another Sox player go into the hall in yet another jerzey.

OEO Magglio
01-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I agree, I wouldn't do this trade either. Get some pitching...of course, it's hard to replace a .300 40 homerun man. Let Ordonez stay, sign him for cheaper than we thought after this season. I want to see Maggs in a Sox for a few more years at least. I'd hate to see another Sox player go into the hall in yet another jerzey.
Well we're not going to sign maggs long term, this trade would be getting very good value for pk and maggs, if kenny can make this trade, he better do it, but it's obviously just a fantasy trade.

lowesox
01-17-2004, 06:29 PM
At this point, I'd be shocked if the White Sox did anything more than what they already have (or haven't) done.

Hangar18
01-18-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Are you people joking?

Anything less than an all-star caliber player for Mags is an absolute crime.

I Couldnt Have Said That Any Better SoxonTop.
Maggs and Big Frank deserve to finish their careers here.
Any "Holes" we have, we should go out and Fill them Thru FreeAgency. Simple As That. Anything else is what my
GrandFather used to say, Robbing-Peter-to-Pay-Paul.
Never Works. Hell, we have 22 yrs of proving it doesnt work.

Rex Hudler
01-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
Maggs and Konerko plus cash for Perez, Mota, Miller, Jackson and Encarnacion????

Miller AND Jackson??? Arew you kidding me? That is waaay too good to be true. If that offer is on the table take it, Kenny, take it NOW.

It is NOT on the table. LA cannot make any major moves until the ownership situation is settled, so all of these rumors are just idle chatter at this point. Ownership issues aside, this trade will NEVER happen because it would be way too one-sided, in the Sox favor. It is not a realistic trade at all.

PaulDrake
01-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Are you people joking? Our All-Star RFer and one time all-star 1B for a solid Reliever, a SP who had a 4.00 ERA at Dodger Stadium last year, an RF'er who's career OPS is the same as Aaron Rowand and 2 prospects? You people are cheaper than JR.

Anything less than an all-star caliber player for Mags is an absolute crime. I've been preaching this line and the response is either yawns or the occasional cyber beating. I don't, I won't, I can't understand the desire to be rid of Maggs for so little.

voodoochile
01-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
I've been preaching this line and the response is either yawns or the occasional cyber beating. I don't, I won't, I can't understand the desire to be rid of Maggs for so little.

For me it is the sense of inevitability. I think the Sox are definitely going to trade him before the end of the season. If they can get some talent for him great. If they can dump Konerko's contract and take a little less, that's okay too.

$22M a year savings could go a LONG way toward making the Sox players for what is left in the FA market and then leave room for trades during the season if they actually do something.

I still prefer to keep Maggs and add payroll, but that ain't-a-gonna happen, so I accept the inevitable and hope it works out for the best, just like always... :(:

CubKilla
01-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
I've been preaching this line and the response is either yawns or the occasional cyber beating. I don't, I won't, I can't understand the desire to be rid of Maggs for so little.

No one wants "to be rid of Maggs", but like Voodoo said, Maggs being dealt before or during '04 or signing with another team for '05 seems inevitable.

Having said that, if LA was offering Perez, Mota, Encarnacion, and two of the most prized minor league arms in all of baseball in Miller and Jackson, I'd say do it. That's a hell of alot more than we'd get from a contender during the '04 season and boatloads more than we'd get for Maggs if he left after the '04 season. Face it, no one is going to deal an AllStar for Maggs and the White Sox won't take on another AllStar's salary.

PaulDrake
01-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Let's say one of the prospects we get for Maggs pans out in a good way. What happens when this guy is ready to cash in on his stardom? Trade him for some more prospects a la Maggs? I'm sorry this is baseball the Milwaukee and Pittsburgh way. It will never work out. The real problem here is the twin albatrosses ( is that correct grammar?) named Koch and Konerko. It seems we can't give them away. I'd be willing to part with them for some of those "prospects."

LATruBlue
01-19-2004, 01:28 AM
I've seen this trade scenario posted on other White Sox boards. Instead of "Miller and Jackson", they're stating "Miller or Jackson".

Regardless, this is the same trade without Konerko and Encarnacion that KW offered before. Evans didn't do it then and I would certaintly hope that he wouldn't do it now (if it is true that is).

We have bigger problems right now trying to determine who's going to own us for this upcoming season. We all in LA hope that Eli Broad gets the nod. He has deep, deep pockets ($3.8 B as in BILLION ) and it was mentioned that he is already backing the former owner Peter O'Malley to run the club. LA fans are psyched about this pairing. McCheap out, Broad in.

I'm willing to start the season as is, hang onto Jackson and Miller as they are projected to start in '05 then do some real free agent shopping in '05 also.

Good luck in '04.

BeerHandle
01-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Another trade rumor that will never happen, but if it did, that would be unbelievable.

That is what I thinK!

SoxOnTop
01-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
For me it is the sense of inevitability. I think the Sox are definitely going to trade him before the end of the season. If they can get some talent for him great. If they can dump Konerko's contract and take a little less, that's okay too.

$22M a year savings could go a LONG way toward making the Sox players for what is left in the FA market and then leave room for trades during the season if they actually do something.

I still prefer to keep Maggs and add payroll, but that ain't-a-gonna happen, so I accept the inevitable and hope it works out for the best, just like always... :(:


The problem is that too many of you have been brainwashed by the White Flag Trade in to believing that we should constantly rebuild. We deserve star power and a playoff calibur team on the south side. Give up Maggs so that 4 stiffs can take up our salary space for next year and possibly longer? Why not keep him, show the fans that you are trying to win now and attempt to resign him. Then if he bolts for more money next year, you take that $14 mil you saved and put it into a SP or SS or CF or some other vital position on the field. We've got 60 corner outfield prospects and not a singe middle infield or CF prospect. Plus you get two 1st rounders to fill the pipeline.

So the question is, would you like to have someone elses garbage who could potentially be taking up salary space for the next few years, or do you want 2 draft picks and the opportunity to spend $14 mil on a SP of you choosing?

voodoochile
01-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
The problem is that too many of you have been brainwashed by the White Flag Trade in to believing that we should constantly rebuild. We deserve star power and a playoff calibur team on the south side. Give up Maggs so that 4 stiffs can take up our salary space for next year and possibly longer? Why not keep him, show the fans that you are trying to win now and attempt to resign him. Then if he bolts for more money next year, you take that $14 mil you saved and put it into a SP or SS or CF or some other vital position on the field. We've got 60 corner outfield prospects and not a singe middle infield or CF prospect. Plus you get two 1st rounders to fill the pipeline.

So the question is, would you like to have someone elses garbage who could potentially be taking up salary space for the next few years, or do you want 2 draft picks and the opportunity to spend $14 mil on a SP of you choosing?

No, I don't want to rebuild. If anything I am a huge advocate of keeping our stars and then adding move via FA and increased payroll.

I'm not brainwashed by the WFT into believing anything other than JR is one cheap bastard and that losing our stars is inevitable under his ownership. That's what I meant.

jabrch
01-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
Let's say one of the prospects we get for Maggs pans out in a good way. What happens when this guy is ready to cash in on his stardom? Trade him for some more prospects a la Maggs? I'm sorry this is baseball the Milwaukee and Pittsburgh way. It will never work out. The real problem here is the twin albatrosses ( is that correct grammar?) named Koch and Konerko. It seems we can't give them away. I'd be willing to part with them for some of those "prospects."

PaulDrake,

That's fine - but are you prepared to accept the reality that Magglio will leave at the end of this year to take equal/more money than the Sox will give him to play in a warmer weather climate and that we will get NOTHING more than 2 draft picks for him - of those, the best can be #15 and the other a "sandwich pick"?

Nobody WANTS to trade Maggs. Nobody WANTS to trade Frank. We'd all be thrilled to move Koch or Konerko, but nobody wants them. We knew that going into the offseason that we wouldn't be able to give them away.

Given our situation, and given that Frank is not leaving, we have two choices of ways to improve this team. Trade Magglio or trade Carlos. Magglio will get us more value.

If someone presents me a realistic option to trading Magglio that will help us either this year, or long term, I'd love to hear it. Right now we have Rowand and Harris in our every day lineup. We have no 4th or 5th starters. Someone PLEASE tell me how to improve that situation given our budget, and the existing contracts we have committed to.

jabrch
01-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
So the question is, would you like to have someone elses garbage who could potentially be taking up salary space for the next few years, or do you want 2 draft picks and the opportunity to spend $14 mil on a SP of you choosing?

Someone elses garbage? Mota is a top tier setup man. Perez is a mid-rotation starter. And the two prospects are #1 and #7(I think) MLB SP prospects. That's not "garbage" We also, in that deal would free up more than the 14mm you talk about. Perez makes about 6 and Mota makes 1.5 (I think). We'd be moving Magglio (14) and PK (8). As far as the two draft picks go, BFD. At best, something like #16 and #32 - at worst, something like #38 and #53. You want that over Miller and Jackson?

Rex Hudler
01-19-2004, 11:24 AM
If the market stays similar to what it is now, there is no guarantee the Sox would even offer Maggs arbitration so getting two draft picks cannot be assumed!

kittle42
01-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
to play in a warmer weather climate

Hey look - it's the favorite excuse of cheap Chicago ownership. Thanks for bringing up something that always makes my blood boil.