PDA

View Full Version : Where should the Expos go?

Viva Magglio
01-16-2004, 11:53 PM
The cities/areas listed in the poll each had groups representing those respective cities/areas talk to Major League Baseball about landing the Expos, whose future in Montreal is very finite according to Uncle Bud.

doublem23
01-17-2004, 12:21 AM
Anywhere but Puerto Rico. That's just ridiculous. Why hasn't anyone mentioned New Orleans, San Antonio, Orlando, or another booming Sun Belt city?

CubKilla
01-17-2004, 12:38 AM
I don't think any of those markets could support a viable MLB team.

doublem23
01-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I don't think any of those markets could support a viable MLB team.

Perhaps New Orleans or Orlando, but San Antonio is one of the 10 largest cities in America.

MisterB
01-17-2004, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Perhaps New Orleans or Orlando, but San Antonio is one of the 10 largest cities in America.

But its metropolitan population (City + Suburbs) is actually smaller than Milwaukee's.

The largest metro area in the US without a major league team is Portland, OR (it's bigger than Cincinnati, KC and Milwaukee). The Baltimore-DC metroplex is bigger than the SF bay area (and just behind Chicago), so they could handle a second team despite Peter Angelos' whining. Of course the metro area which could handle the Expos most easily would be New York City, but Steinbrenner would take out a hit on Selig before he let that happen...

HITMEN OF 77
01-17-2004, 05:07 AM
DC if and only if they call them the Senators. The 3rd time around should be a charm for the Nat's.

soxfan26
01-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Loudoun County, VA baby!

PaleHoseGeorge
01-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Metro D.C. is easily the best open market for a new baseball team. The problem is the Orioles keep claiming (falsely, IMO) that the region can't support two baseball teams.

The demographics for D.C./Northern Virginia are perfect for supporting a baseball team, mostly because of the size of the population but also because of real median incomes and education levels, too. Alternative cities like San Antonio, New Orleans, Charlotte, San Juan, and Monterrey really fall down on those last two measures.

Personally I feel baseball ought to become more international. I would like new teams in Canada, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and two or more teams in Mexico, too. It will never happen, of course. This takes vision and the neanderthals and barnicles who run MLB can't see beyond their next CBA negotiation with the players union.

<sigh>

PINWHEELS
01-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The cities/areas listed in the poll each had groups representing those respective cities/areas talk to Major League Baseball about landing the Expos, whose future in Montreal is very finite according to Uncle Bud. I Say move the expos to the washington, northern virginia area, move the d-rays to new jersey, and move the a's to portland or.

poorme
01-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Metro D.C. is easily the best open market for a new baseball team. The problem is the Orioles keep claiming (falsely, IMO) that the region can't support two baseball teams.

The demographics for D.C./Northern Virginia are perfect for supporting a baseball team, mostly because of the size of the population but also because of real median incomes and education levels, too. Alternative cities like San Antonio, New Orleans, Charlotte, San Juan, and Monterrey really fall down on those last two measures.

This is exactly correct. Plus there are thousands of tourists there all summer with not a lot to do in the evening.

DSpivack
01-17-2004, 12:44 PM
D.C. is a truly great city, and while there aren't many great locations available in the relatively small D.C., Northern Virginia really makes sense.

A very well-off, large suburban area, with a rich sports tradition [well, OK, maybe the Senators weren't successful on the field, but they live well in lore] as best seen by the 'Skins.

As a city I love, and frequently visit, I would love the D.C. area to have a team; not to mention it has great public transportation; build the ballpark on the Metro and I think you have an instant success.

StepsInSC
01-17-2004, 01:13 PM
While it would be cool to have a team in another country besides the US or Canada, if they went to Monterrey can you imagine that anyone would want to sign with the spos?

DSpivack
01-17-2004, 01:14 PM
warm climate, not far from cities in the u.s. that many ballplayers live in, why not?

Fenway
01-17-2004, 03:31 PM
The Expos after all is said and done will be in Montreal for years to come.

This spring the RICO case by the former minority owners of the Expos will be heard in Miami and legal gurus I have talked to say it is a case that MLB can not win.

In their haste to get John Henry free and clear out of Miami so he could buy Boston, they screwed up and the Expos partners wound up with 6% of the Marlins. This is the smoking gun that can not be explained.

If given a chance, Montreal can be a vibrant market again. As recently as 1993 they outdrew the New York Yankees in a season.

Selig has been anti-Montreal since they were picked for an expansion team in 1969 over his bid from Milwaukee.

Baseball will get nailed on this bigtime.

The RICO complaint against Selig and Loria (http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/sports/bmoexpos71602cmp.pdf) PDF format

jabrch
01-17-2004, 03:34 PM
How about Chicago? We can do what Cleveland/Baltimore did. We can get the Expos with new ownership and call them the White Sox. We can send JR and the Sox to Puerto Rico - and never give a damn about him ever again.

jabrch
01-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
While it would be cool to have a team in another country besides the US or Canada, if they went to Monterrey can you imagine that anyone would want to sign with the spos?

Yes, there are a lot of hispanic MLB players that would love to make MLB salaries and play ball in Mexico. Monterrey is gorgeous and has a lot of money. Don't you think a guy like Pudge would rather be there than in Detroit? Would ELO like to go back home if offered money to do it? Monterrey is a lot closer to Caracas then Chicago - would Maggs go there? Vlad wanted a more hispanic presence - that's why he avoided Baltimore. Would he have gone to Mexico?

I am sure lots of players would love to play there.

Fenway
01-17-2004, 04:00 PM
If MLB had any smarts they ould with one simple move jumpstart 2 problem franchises. Simply switch Montreal with the Tampa Bay Fighting Seaweeds. Attendance in Montreal would jump overnight by 50%. Why?

Expos would then have 9/10 homegames each with Toronto, NYY and Boston. Both NYY and especially Boston would bring big crowds to the Big O. (The Yankees have fans upstate NY, the Mets do not, and Red Sox fans are the best travelers in baseball, just look at the Phillies 2 biggest crowds in 2003, both with Boston)

I am not sure anything can help Tampa but being in the same division with Atlanta and Miami would help.

Of course since it makes sense, MLB would never do it.

PINWHEELS
01-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by fenway
If MLB had any smarts they ould with one simple move jumpstart 2 problem franchises. Simply switch Montreal with the Tampa Bay Fighting Seaweeds. Attendance in Montreal would jump overnight by 50%. Why?

Expos would then have 9/10 homegames each with Toronto, NYY and Boston. Both NYY and especially Boston would bring big crowds to the Big O. (The Yankees have fans upstate NY, the Mets do not, and Red Sox fans are the best travelers in baseball, just look at the Phillies 2 biggest crowds in 2003, both with Boston)

I am not sure anything can help Tampa but being in the same division with Atlanta and Miami would help.

Of course since it makes sense, MLB would never do it. I like that idea alot! They say that montreal is a beautiful city,one i would love to visit, but i also like the idea of moving a third team into n.y. metro area maybe on the new jersey side. just to take some revenue away from both n.y. teams. plus they would be a instant rival.