PDA

View Full Version : Sox pitchers/SS Platoon

hold2dibber
01-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Per ESPN.com, there were only eight pitchers in all of baseball to hold both lefties and righties to sub-.200 BA last year. Only one team had two such pitchers. The team was, of course, the White Sox. The two pitchers. Damaso Marte and ... Kelly Wunsch. Pretty impressive. The Sox need a right handed reliever or two (Koch? Ginter? Wright?) to step it up. If they can get a decent year out of at least two of those guys, the bullpen might be okay. But I'd really, really like to have another right handed arm in the pen. I like Jeremy's idea of brining Osuna back.

And in a completely unrelated thought - what about bringing in Jose Hernandez on a minor league deal to see if he can win a roster spot? JValentin clearly cannot ever step to the plate against a left handed pitcher. Hernandez had a somewhat respectable .763 OPS against lefties last year, and has a .901 OPS against lefties over the past 3 years combined. I think a Jose/Jose platoon at SS might work pretty well.

CubKilla
01-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
And in a completely unrelated thought - what about bringing in Jose Hernandez on a minor league deal to see if he can win a roster spot? JValentin clearly cannot ever step to the plate against a left handed pitcher. Hernandez had a somewhat respectable .763 OPS against lefties last year, and has a .901 OPS against lefties over the past 3 years combined. I think a Jose/Jose platoon at SS might work pretty well.

How many K's did Hernandez have against lefties in how many AB's? I hear Jose Hernandez and the first thing that comes to my mind is K's. Is there a significant decrease when he's facing lefties? If so, not an entirely bad idea.

compy75
01-17-2004, 12:23 AM
Well just looked it up, here are some interesting splits on Hernandez:

Vs LH
He struck out
Last Season: 1/2.8 ABs
3 yr SPlit: 1/2.9
These numbers mirror his Ks vs righties so in the end, we can expect him to K once every 3 ABs regardless of side of the plate.

For the record, Jose Ked 1/3.8 vs LHP.