PDA

View Full Version : jeremy reed

soxwon
01-16-2004, 10:02 PM
hey i just won a jeremy reed autographed ball on ebay.
how do you think this kid will do?

SoxxoS
01-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Based on the last 10 hyped up Sox Prospects...

Horrible.

Brian26
01-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by soxwon

How much did it go for and was there a COA?

Rex Hudler
01-16-2004, 10:26 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? Would you mind sending me a link of the item you bought? I did a completed items search and didn't see any balls sold recently. I'm just curious because I have seen some stuff on ebay for Jeremy where the signature looked pretty iffy.

soxwon
01-16-2004, 10:40 PM
im sorry i got my bids confused, i won a rookie card, but im still the high bidder on the ball, i really hope to get it.
its item 2780914194
www.ebay.com go to jeremy reed in the search

jeremyb1
01-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Based on the last 10 hyped up Sox Prospects...

Horrible.

Like Kip Wells, Wright, Crede, Buehrle or Lee? Anyone who expects 10 out of 10 touted prospects to become All-Stars does not understand the nature of evaluating prospects. Most prospects do not live up to expectations. That's how it works. The fact that some prospects such as Myette or Borchard have struggled is not a scar on this organization.

Rex Hudler
01-16-2004, 10:51 PM
im sorry i got my bids confused, i won a rookie card, but im still the high bidder on the ball, i really hope to get it.
its item 2780914194
www.ebay.com go to jeremy reed in the search

I'd be real careful with that baseball. I am not convinced that signature is real. I have attached two photos, one of the ball you are bidding on and one that is definitely authentic in a separate post. They are similar, but there are differences that I question. I would certainly inquire about the COA (it is EASY to make one up) and about how the autograph was acquired (when, where, what kind of ball, etc.). If the story sounds halfway fishy, I'd bail or at least hope like hell someone outbids you. I have seen many Reed signed items and his signature is amazingly consistent.

Good luck and if you want my thoughts on anything, email me. Here is the ball I suspect may be fake.

soxwon
01-16-2004, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jeremyb1
[B]Like Kip Wells, Wright, Crede, Buehrle or Lee? Anyone who expects 10 out of 10 touted prospects to become All-Stars does not understand the nature of evaluating prospects. Most prospects do not live up to expectations. That's how it works. The fact that some prospects such as Myette or Borchard have struggled is not a scar on this organization.

i have to say buehrles done really well and carlos lee is doing very well, crede will still be a star. ok kip wells no

from what i hear reed might be very huge, we need a lefty hitter and him being white will help sell seats.

soxwon
01-16-2004, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rex Hudler
[B]I'd be real careful with that baseball. I am not convinced that signature is real. I have attached two photos, one of the ball you are bidding on and one that is definitely authentic in a separate post. They are similar, but there are differences that I question. I would certainly inquire about the COA (it is EASY to make one up) and about how the autograph was acquired (when, where, what kind of ball, etc.). If the story sounds halfway fishy, I'd bail or at least hope like hell someone outbids you. I have seen many Reed signed items and his signature is amazingly consistent.

Good luck and if you want my thoughts on anything, email me. Here is the ball I suspect may be fake.

ok thanks rex, its still got 6 days left.

Rex Hudler
01-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Lastly, if you want Reed autographed items, go to the Barons web site or buy them from seller stb1 on ebay. I know that stb1 arranged an autograph signing through Reed's agent and paid Jeremy for his services. As I said before, Jeremy's autograph is very consistent from what I have seen.

Here is the ball I know is authentic.

OEO Magglio
01-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Lastly, if you want Reed autographed items, go to the Barons web site or buy them from seller stb1 on ebay. I know that stb1 arranged an autograph signing through Reed's agent and paid Jeremy for his services. As I said before, Jeremy's autograph is very consistent from what I have seen.

Yeah those balls do look slightly different I would be careful soxwon, Rex did jeremy sign that ball for you first hand?

ondafarm
01-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler

I have seen Jeremy Reed's autograph several times and he is very consistent. This second one does look like his signature, from what I have seen, but the first one, I don't know.

Rex Hudler
01-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Yeah those balls do look slightly different I would be careful soxwon, Rex did jeremy sign that ball for you first hand?

No, that is the picture from the Barons web site where they sell Reed autographed balls with a COA directly from the club. But I do have a few items autographed by Jeremy and his sig is exactly the same. Notice on the two balls how different the size of the sig is. Jeremy's sig tends to be pretty small and even though it has the big loops in the J and R, the letters are not very tall. The sig on the ball in question goes from top to bottom on the sweet spot. I have never seen Reed's that big.

It is possible it is a legit autograph. I have a bitch of a time signing my name the same way twice in a row and I am not signing autographs or on round objects like a ball. I just have seen enough of Jeremy's stuff to know that he is very consistent. Again, I know the balls on the Barons web site are legit and I know the stuff from stb1 is, because of his arrangement with Reed's agent.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-16-2004, 11:16 PM

from what i hear reed might be very huge, we need a lefty hitter and him being white will help sell seats.

him being white will help sell seats? i dont think that race figures into whether or not most people will come to games.

Rex Hudler
01-16-2004, 11:22 PM
him being white will help sell seats? i dont think that race figures into whether or not most people will come to games.

I was hoping we could slide right by that comment and not start a whole other argument. LOL

hold2dibber
01-16-2004, 11:37 PM
i have to say buehrles done really well and carlos lee is doing very well, crede will still be a star. ok kip wells no

Kip Wells was really, really good last year. Better than Buehrle.

And Reed being white will fill seats? Boy, if only that Michael Jordan had been white - then maybe the Bulls could have filled some seats. Give me a break.

I suggested that we adopt a color for posting when drunk. I hereby second my own suggestion. Sheesh.

soxwon
01-17-2004, 11:45 AM
the only thing i meant about the WHITE comment was the sox havent had a white superstar since robin ventura, most stars are latino or black, im not being racial, i just think we need a white player, thats a true talent.
the cubs have Prior-Wood etc.
the sox Crede-Rowand not exactly super players.
i love all our players.
God put everyone together for a reason-its fate and God who will lead us to the Series this year.
im sorry if i offended anyone.

SoxxoS
01-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Like Kip Wells, Wright, Crede, Buehrle or Lee? Anyone who expects 10 out of 10 touted prospects to become All-Stars does not understand the nature of evaluating prospects. Most prospects do not live up to expectations. That's how it works. The fact that some prospects such as Myette or Borchard have struggled is not a scar on this organization.

No, I understand. But can we have like 1 or 2 all stars? Out of ALL those hyped up prospects, you think the law of averages would kick in and we would get an awesome player....either like a Prior or a Beckett. Or a lance Berkman or Miguel Cabrera. Nope. That list you gave is crap in terms of how highly touted they were. Danny Wright? You consider him a success? He's horrible. Crede has been a dissapointment, and Buerhle wasn't hyped up. Wells and Lee are solid players, but not all stars.

I think our minor league system has been a colossal dissapointment.

jeremyb1
01-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
No, I understand. But can we have like 1 or 2 all stars? Out of ALL those hyped up prospects, you think the law of averages would kick in and we would get an awesome player....either like a Prior or a Beckett. Or a lance Berkman or Miguel Cabrera. Nope. That list you gave is crap in terms of how highly touted they were. Danny Wright? You consider him a success? He's horrible. Crede has been a dissapointment, and Buerhle wasn't hyped up. Wells and Lee are solid players, but not all stars.

I think our minor league system has been a colossal dissapointment.

How about Wells, Buehrle, and Ordonez? I guess you could argue that Ordonez doesn't count since he wasn't hyped all that much but that's splitting hairs if you ask me. Buehrle most certainly was hyped despite what people often argue. Just because he wasn't the most hyped of our prospects does not mean he was never hyped. Buehrle has certainly been an All-Star calliber player - he's been to the All-Star game - and Wells has arguably been better the past two seasons so I think he's more than a "solid player".

jabrch
01-17-2004, 02:28 PM
God put everyone together for a reason-its fate and God who will lead us to the Series this year.

But can God hit a curve?

kittle42
01-17-2004, 03:05 PM
[ and him being white will help sell seats.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on this site.

kittle42
01-17-2004, 03:06 PM
the only thing i meant about the WHITE comment was the sox havent had a white superstar since robin ventura, most stars are latino or black, im not being racial, i just think we need a white player, thats a true talent.
i love all our players.

Wait..THIS is the stupidest thing I have ever read on this site.

jabrch
01-17-2004, 03:12 PM
I have cheered for white guys, black guys, yellow guys, brown guys, pink guys and blue guys. I don't care what race a player is one bit. I think the whole concept of it is stupid.

DrCrawdad
01-18-2004, 08:58 AM

Don't tell that to Lip.

:)

doublem23
01-18-2004, 09:13 AM

Especially not Borchard considering he was nagged by injuries all last season.

Dubman
01-18-2004, 09:18 AM
him being white will help sell seats.

'Whitey' will not help sell seats , winning will help sell seats.

The Critic
01-18-2004, 09:37 AM
i love all our players.

I personally would categorize Mark Buerhle as a superstar, last season notwithstanding.
I think I understand what you're trying to say, but I have to disagree. I don't care what ethnicity a player is - if he's great, he's great and I'm all for him. I would hope most people agree with that, but I know for a fact that some don't. Unfortunately, race is still way too important to a percentage of people.
The Sox have good players of many races and nationalities, and that's a good thing.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Jeremy says:

Buehrle most certainly was hyped despite what people often argue. Just because he wasn't the most hyped of our prospects does not mean he was never hyped

Can you provide some documentation for your comment? As I recall the Sox thought so "much" of this late round draft pick they never even considered him as a starter

He got the chance to start only because of the rash of pitching injuries to the Sox heading into Spring Training 2001. If two or three more of those injured guys could pitch Buehrle is still working in the bullpen in middle relief.

This isn't a knock against Mark who has been one of the rare success stories out of the minor leagues, but more of an indictment of the Sox brain trust and the late Manager Gandhi and his pitching coach who wouldn't know talent if it bit them on the ass.

Also I think we have to refine our complaints. Even I credit the Sox for having developed four or five top notch position players like Lee, Crede, Ordonez. (although where are the top notch middle infielders?).

The issue though is pitching All those drafts of all those arms...where are they? Why aren't they making an impact like the young pitchers in Oakland, Houston and Seattle????? (and please let's not included Kip Wells and Josh Fogg. The Sox don't need any more pitchers who go 10-9. Wells has been in the bigs since 2001, why hasn't he made the breakthrough like a Hudson, Zito or Mulder? Fogg has regressed the past year and a half.)

I would say Buehrle has been the exception to the rule which says something about Mark and about all the "can't miss kids," in the Sox minor leagues. For every Buehrle there has been twenty Brian West's, Aaron Myette's, Gary Majewski's, Jon Rauch's, Danny (I Can't Pitch) Wright's and matt Ginter's.

That's not good by any standards. Which is why I advocate buying and trading for other teams top pitching talent, without injuries and without baggage. But of course that takes money and the Sox don't have any.

Lip