PDA

View Full Version : espn rankings of starting pitchers

chisox56
01-16-2004, 06:53 PM
i was looking at there list and they put matt clement ahead of buerhle. I don't know how they can rank clement ahead of buerhle.

hftrex
01-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Because they're stupid, that's why.

chisox56
01-16-2004, 06:56 PM
they also put kip wells ahead of buerhle

hold2dibber
01-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Those rankings are for fantasy baseball only. They're not supposed to be rankings of who's better in the real world. For example, Clement strikes out a lot more guys than Buehrle and he pitches for (and this is hard for me to spit out) a team that is likely to win a lot more games next year than Buehrle's team, so all things considered he should be able to pile up a decent number of wins. Wells strikes out as many guys as Buehrle but had a much lower ERA last year than Buehrle. Even for fantasy purposes, I'm not sure that I agree with those rankings, but they're at least justifiable. In the real world, I'd take Buehrle over Clement in a heart beat. Right now, I'd take Buehrle over Wells, too. But I wouldn't be surprised if Wells turned out to be better than Buehrle over the course of his career.

Rex Hudler
01-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Perhaps because Buehrle's ERA, hits to IP ratio and walk to strikeouts ratio have all increased each of the last three years??

hftrex
01-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Perhaps because Buehrle's ERA, hits to IP ratio and walk to strikeouts ratio have all increased each of the last three years??

Take it that you think that Buehrle's days as a starting pitcher are numbered?