PDA

View Full Version : Brewers up for sale

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-16-2004, 04:09 PM
They're having a press confrence right now.

Medford Bobby
01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
And if it weren't for the new ballpark, this franchise should move or be contracted............... :(:

CWSGuy406
01-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Maybe JR will buy them and sell the Sox! That'd be great!

Wake up, now.....

kittle42
01-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Maybe JR will buy them and sell the Sox! That'd be great!

Wake up, now.....

That would solve that 3 teams in a 90-mile radius problem Gammons has.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Perhaps the pressure being put on the Selig family by the Wisconsin politicians is having an effect. The Governor and a number of legislators were very upset by the announcement the payroll would be cut to 30 million. Some even advocated (gasp!) getting an injuction to force the Selig's to turn over their books.

Lip

JDP
01-16-2004, 07:35 PM
It better be worth the $40 mil investment.

Viva Magglio
01-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Commissioner Bud Selig has released this statement (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/jan04/200450.asp), obtained from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, with regard to the Milwaukee Brewers being put on the market.

Of course, before Uncle Bud formally sequed from "acting commissioner" to "real commissioner," he was the owner of the Brewers. When he became "real commissioner," his shares of stock in the ballclub were put in a trust.

As for a prespective buyer, I would like to see if Miller Brewing's parent company (SAB Miller (http://www.sabmiller.com/)) buys the ballclub.

doublem23
01-16-2004, 11:14 PM
What a sleazebag operation. They get the taxpayers of Milwaukee to put a new stadium in for them and they turn around and sell the whole shebang.

Once a used car salesman, always a used car salesman.

Ziffman
01-16-2004, 11:26 PM
I think I'd rather own the millions of dollars in beer up in Milwaukee than actually owning the Brewers club.

CubKilla
01-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
What a sleazebag operation. They get the taxpayers of Milwaukee to put a new stadium in for them and they turn around and sell the whole shebang.

:reinsy

"I taught Bud everything he knows!"

gosox41
01-17-2004, 07:32 AM

The sale could be the best thing to happen to Milwaukee. They may get an owner who knows what he's doing. Would we really call JR a sleazabag if he sold or would we be cheering that he is finally gone?

But there were other intersting points brought up in the Tribune article about them having a cash call.

Bob

doublem23
01-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
The sale could be the best thing to happen to Milwaukee. They may get an owner who knows what he's doing. Would we really call JR a sleazabag if he sold or would we be cheering that he is finally gone?

But there were other intersting points brought up in the Tribune article about them having a cash call.

Bob

I'm not saying it's not a good thing for Milwaukee, I'm just saying the timing of the whole thing is what stinks.

Lip Man 1
01-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Let's not also forget this about Proud To Be Your Bud. His family agreed to put up I think, 90 million of their own money for the new park. After the deals were signed and construction was ready to begin Ole' Uncle Bud made the declaration that (surprise!) the Selig family couldn't come up with the money... all they could get was 45 million.

Hello! The state had little choice since almost literally the construction crews were ready to get started so the ponied up the additional money.

Good riddence.

Lip

ewokpelts
01-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Let's not also forget this about Proud To Be Your Bud. His family agreed to put up I think, 90 million of their own money for the new park. After the deals were signed and construction was ready to begin Ole' Uncle Bud made the declaration that (surprise!) the Selig family couldn't come up with the money... all they could get was 45 million.

Hello! The state had little choice since almost literally the construction crews were ready to get started so the ponied up the additional money.

Good riddence.

Lip

sounds like a car salesman

Paulwny
01-17-2004, 02:42 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many millions someone one will pay to supposedly lose money on his investment every year.

Palehose13
01-17-2004, 03:05 PM

Most Brewers fans that I know are elated by this news.

Fenway
01-17-2004, 03:25 PM
same could be said for the President of the United States too

I see Bud spend about 35 bucks for his website

Once a used car salesman, always a used car salesman. Selig Used Cars (http://www.seligleasing.com/)

ode to veeck
01-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Brewers fans should be elated, as anything would be better then Bud, aka "the scamming crooked comish", Selig's tenure, especially since he took on the conflict of interest role as de facto owner and MLB commissioner. I guess he's got too much time invested in running his new obsession, the Expos, into the ground to bother much with the Brewers anymore. Maybe he'd realized his dirty work is done there. The current situation of the Milwaukee club is very dismal indeed and light years away from the exciting slugging squad of the early 80s. Gee, that move to the NL worked out real well too. I wonder what they estimated price is ?

MRKARNO
01-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Ziffman
I think I'd rather own the millions of dollars in beer up in Milwaukee than actually owning the Brewers club.

Yeah, that franchise is pretty pathetic and now that they ran it into the ground, the Seligs and their group want to sell it.

ma-gaga
01-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Yeah, that franchise is pretty pathetic and now that they ran it into the ground, the Seligs and their group want to sell it.

No. Now that they have their new stadium, the franchise is worth some money regardless of on-field performance.

Daver
01-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

The Brewers franchise is worth more than the White Sox franchise according to Forbes.

ode to veeck
01-18-2004, 01:31 PM
The Brewers franchise is worth more than the White Sox franchise according to Forbes.

That's surprising. Any speculation as to why?

Paulwny
01-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

Bud's accountants are better then JR's.

ewokpelts
01-18-2004, 02:54 PM

When teh Forbes article was written, Miller Park was less than ayear old, and the team made a lot of money due to the park's novelty. The Sox, on the other hand, were playing in a 11 year old "ballmall" and tanked the season. So revenues and values were a little off.
Gene

MRKARNO
01-18-2004, 03:12 PM
I would say that the White Sox have the potential to be worth a lot more than the brewers

Daver
01-18-2004, 03:19 PM

More than likely because of the lack of a whole lot of competition for the publics entertainment dollar,Milwaukee does not have much aside from the Brewers and the Bucks in the pro sports category.Add that to the fact that they are playing in a brand new ballpark.

SSN721
01-19-2004, 08:38 AM
Don't forget the Admirals :D: I would be ecstatic if I was a Brewers fan, I have a friend who lives in downtown Milwaukee and I think him and I will be attending many more games this summer if the sale goes through.