PDA

View Full Version : Clayton passes up Ray in ba

danman31
09-04-2001, 10:02 PM
Royce is 3-3 in Game 2 and is batting .261. Ray is batting .260. Poor Ray :(.

KempersRS
09-04-2001, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by danman31
Royce is 3-3 in Game 2 and is batting .261. Ray is batting .260. Poor Ray :(.

If you polled 1000 Sox fans 2 months into this season and asked who would have a higher average in September, 1000 Sox fans would say Ray. As much as we hate Royce, some credit is due.

charlie browned
09-04-2001, 10:07 PM
A telling quote from DJ a few minutes ago: "Royce has had alot of bats just explode recently."

When you're batting .105, desperation will make you do almost anything....

Iguana775
09-04-2001, 10:10 PM
i remember saying a few months ago when he started to get hot that if he continued the hitting, he could pass ray. lol. man, i love it when i am right. :):):)

34 Inch Stick
09-05-2001, 10:45 AM
The better he hits, the more we can get for him in the off season. GO ROYCE and GOODBYE ROYCE!

Thanks for April and May. The attitude was especially helpful for our young players.

Anyone can be strong during the good times; true chareacter is displayed during difficult times. I think we all saw what our little fair weather fielder is made of.

Procol Harum
09-05-2001, 11:45 AM
This fact tells us much more about Ray Durham than it does the Roycemeister. There is only one course of action--get rid of Durham during the off-season. Whatever his other problems, from what I've seen Clayton is a much better fielding SS than Durham will ever be as a 2B. And I doubt anyone we would get would be a worse lead-off man than Durham--inconsistent and poor pitch selection at the plate, too few bases on balls, below average steals for someone with his speed, and an absolute accident waiting to happen on the basepaths.

Soxboyrob
09-05-2001, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
And I doubt anyone we would get would be a worse lead-off man than Durham--inconsistent and poor pitch selection at the plate, too few bases on balls, below average steals for someone with his speed, and an absolute accident waiting to happen on the basepaths.

Again, an argument can be made that despite Ray's baserunning gaffes, he still is commonly in the top 5 run-producing second basemen and near the top for leadoff hitters. Ray drives me nuts, just like all of you. But the same argument that most of you use in Valentin's defense can be applied to Ray....the good that he brings usually outweighs the bad. I think Ray's here to stay and have a sneaking suspicion that he'll have a good season next year, but he still makes me want to bang my head on concrete.

FarWestChicago
09-05-2001, 02:17 PM
But the same argument that most of you use in Valentin's defense can be applied to Ray....

OK, you lost me here. Manos is all about heart, hustle and playing flat out. Ray is all about lounging in the field and on the basepaths, and occasionally swinging for the fences. Ray is virtually the anti-Manos. If you put Jose's heart in Ray, you would have the best second baseman is baseball. Alas, Ray seems to be running on a Jarvik 7.

Soxboyrob
09-05-2001, 03:17 PM
You're absolutely right on all accounts, but Ray's run production numbers year in and year out are right near or at the top of the AL for both second basemen and leadoff hitters. He drives me nuts, but he performs, while throwing in a few rock solid blunders in the meantime. Do we overlook the blunders he makes, just as we overlook Valentin's errors, and accept the run production he brings, just as we accept Valentin's run production, range, and arm strength?