PDA

View Full Version : Home Opener?

Hosey22
01-16-2004, 04:17 PM
What do you think the chances are that this years home opener will be a night game? I only ask this because i noticed that it is on a tuesday, which is unusual because i remember it usually being on fridays. And being that it is Apr. 13, it may be a little warmer than an Apr. 4 or 5 opener. Thats my only chance. I haven't missed an opener since 1991, and this year i have a ballgame at 3, so if I have any hope of continuing this tradition it needs to be a night game. I know the last night opener was 2000, and it seemed to work out pretty well, so here's hoping.

Tekijawa
01-16-2004, 04:21 PM
They'll probably have it at 7:30 in the morning... knowing how important Fan friendlyness is to this club

thepaulbowski
01-16-2004, 04:29 PM
If it's a day game, they could give me free tickets and I wouldn't take the time off work to go this year. If it's a night game I may go, but a day game...no way. I'd rather save my vacation time for something else.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-16-2004, 05:05 PM
I HOPE it's a night game. The 13th is my birthday and I want to go, but thanks to school I wouldn't be able to go during the day!

southsidegirl
01-16-2004, 05:10 PM
If it's during the night, my parents wont have to pull me out of school! That's a relief. I might have a test that day.

MRKARNO
01-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Last year's was a 3 or 4 oclock game....that started nearly 3 hours later because of a rain delay.

HITMEN OF 77
01-16-2004, 07:22 PM
It seems to me, that we always open on the road and close on the road, why is that?

Lip Man 1
01-16-2004, 07:42 PM
The White Sox haven't opened at home since 1990. The last year of the original park. This is done specifically at the request of ownership.

They feel with the fickle fan base (in their opinion) and the weather the Sox would draw well for the home opener then go into the tank attendence - wise for the rest of the homestand.

They also request as few home games as possible in the month of April (which is why they had to be upset last year when the schedule came out.)

Lip

npdempse
01-17-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

They also request as few home games as possible in the month of April (which is why they had to be upset last year when the schedule came out.)

Lip

Which is why plenty of us were mighty PO'd for a month or so, freezing and watching a team find new ways to lose every night. I very much appreciate the Sox' effort to open on the road. Chicago sux in April!

HITMEN OF 77
01-17-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The White Sox haven't opened at home since 1990. The last year of the original park. This is done specifically at the request of ownership.

They feel with the fickle fan base (in their opinion) and the weather the Sox would draw well for the home opener then go into the tank attendence - wise for the rest of the homestand.

Lip

Makes sense. I would have at least thought they would have opened at home when the New Comiskey Park opened.

anewman35
01-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Makes sense. I would have at least thought they would have opened at home when the New Comiskey Park opened.

I remember specifically reading that year that they asked to open very late (I don't think it was until the 18th) so they could be sure to finish the park on time.

soxwon
01-17-2004, 01:48 PM
the sox have 13 home games in april- including 10 in a row to finnish the month,
thats awfull- the weather will be crap, attendance will suck, it just seems its a plot to destroy us lol.

soxwon
01-17-2004, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by soxwon
[B]the sox have 13 home games in april- including 10 in a row to finnish the month,
thats awfull- the weather will be crap, attendance will suck, it just seems its a plot to destroy us lol.

including 6 head to head games vs the cubs.
but what the hell we are still chicagos best team.

Lip Man 1
01-17-2004, 01:57 PM
and of course management will blame the fans for not showing up in 40 degree weather for a night game!

Lip

CubKilla
01-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
the sox have 13 home games in april- including 10 in a row to finnish the month,

Opening weekend '03 sucked. It was Bear weather, not Sox weather. The next homestand brought KC to town during the now infamous "Cub Fans Gone Wild." That night saw a temperature of 80 degrees. I remember the following weekend against Cleveland at home was cold (40's-50's) but that didn't stop Bartolo from pitching a complete game in short sleeves on Friday night. The following weekend was a homestand against Minnesota which saw another close to 80 degree day when ELo beat Reed handily. The following Tuesday was cool..... not cold, but it rained and postponed the start of a loss to Oakland. I remember. I was at both the ELo game against MIN and the OAK game on Tuesday.

So, for April of '03 homegames, there were just as many nice nights as cold nights. That's Spring in Chicago..... 40 one day, 90 the next.