PDA

View Full Version : Will you go no matter what?

lowesox
01-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Just interested to know how many of you will still pay to attend games given how ownership has cheaped out this offseason. Are you the kind of fan who will pay no matter what? Or if you think that management is trying to sell you an inferior product will you stop going?

I for one won't be turning over a cent to the White Sox unless they surprise me in between now and opening day. Just wonderng what the rest of you think.

T-Bag
01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Yup I'll be there, I am too big of a Sox and baseball fan in general to just not go. I enjoy baseball too much to not go.

voodoochile
01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Just interested to know how many of you will still pay to attend games given how ownership has cheaped out this offseason. Are you the kind of fan who will pay no matter what? Or if you think that management is trying to sell you an inferior product will you stop going?

I for one won't be turning over a cent to the White Sox unless they surprise me in between now and opening day. Just wonderng what the rest of you think.

Well, I'm moving, so I won't be able to spend money on the Sox like in the past, but if I were here, I would probably buy my sox-7 if they still offered it, but that would be about it unless they really started to contend...

Iwritecode
01-16-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm going to at least one game this year because I'm getting tickets through the Soxfest hotel package.

I usually go to at least one of the Sox/Cubs games but I'm not sure if I'll do that this year or not.

Last year I made it to 3 games, which is about average for me...

thepaulbowski
01-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Since moving here in 2000, I have probably attended over 100 games, at least. This year I 've dumped my split season package and I have no plans on buying tickets to any games. I get free tickets from vendors at work once and while and will probably go then, but that's it for me.

chisoxmike
01-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Yes, I'll be there, opening day and on. I love the White Sox, I'm not expecting much this season but my summer is never complete without being at White Sox games. There's nothing like being at a ballgame during the summer.

-mike

steff
01-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Yes.

bennyw41
01-16-2004, 04:40 PM
I've been to every opening day at the new comiskey, and don't plan on changing that. I am a White Sox fan. No shame.

CWSGuy406
01-16-2004, 05:08 PM
I don't think it's being "shameful" if you choose not to attend games this summer. Our main signing is friggin' Cliff Politte. That's embarrassing, and ownership doesn't deserve us to fill the park this year.

This division is so winnable. That makes me want to cry. :whiner:

lowesox
01-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
This division is so winnable. That makes me want to cry. :whiner:

This is very true - and depressing. But what bothers me even more is how this team doesn't seem to have any plans in place to try and win ever. I would actually be ok with taking a little step backwards (lets call it retooling and not rebuilding) if it meant having a decent shot in 2005. But we're not going for it, nor are we making any moves to go for it in the future. We're not doing anything, which when you think about it, is pretty good grounds to fire our GM.

soxnut
01-16-2004, 05:28 PM

Well remember what you're saying, and if by some chance they are in contention with the current roster, don't you bother stepping one foot in the door.............

Hangar18
01-16-2004, 05:30 PM
i'll be there, just wont go as Much as I normally would.
If they refuse to spend more money, So will I. I'll go to
a few games here and there, home opener, couple of
the flub cross town games.

The way I see it, 58 million payroll should
really be at 90 million. If they refuse to Upgrade 40%,
I will go to 40% less Games This Year Also. I will spend
40% less Money. I know the math is a bit off, but I added
10% for my trouble. I reserve the right to Add/Remove the
percentage as I see fit

kittle42
01-16-2004, 05:31 PM
But what bothers me even more is how this team doesn't seem to have any plans in place to try and win ever.

:reinsy
"Hey, it worked on the other side of town..."

hillbilly
01-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by T-Bag
Yup I'll be there, I am too big of a Sox and baseball fan in general to just not go. I enjoy baseball too much to not go.

I agree with you totally friend. They could put the Tigers lineup of last year out there, put them in sox unis and id still have a great time. Plus its an excuse to get bombed on a monday or tuesday night. But baseball is good enough for me.

joeynach
01-16-2004, 05:52 PM

Are you sox fan or a baseball political conoseuir. I will be there i love the game and the team no matter what. Dont let your political views of managment and stuff get in the way of enjoying something you love.

CubKilla
01-16-2004, 06:41 PM
The only way you'll get me to USCF this year is if I get my tickets for free. I should be able to swing a few freebies for Opening Day. Other than that, I have no plans to attend any games after the home opener until either the team or the Organization show me something.

JGarlandrules20
01-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Just interested to know how many of you will still pay to attend games given how ownership has cheaped out this offseason.

I'll definitely still be attending games, but for the players. It's not their fault that the management is so cheap.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2004, 07:37 PM
But management gets your money doesn't it? Even though you're going for the "players."

Lip

JGarlandrules20
01-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
But management gets your money doesn't it? Even though you're going for the "players."

Lip

I don't care if my money goes to the management, I just go to see the players and watch a baseball game. I admire the players and won't disown them just because the management is cheap.

anewman35
01-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Yes. All not going does is make the Sox (and their fans) look worse in the eyes of the rest of the world.

anewman35
01-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
I don't think it's being "shameful" if you choose not to attend games this summer. Our main signing is friggin' Cliff Politte. That's embarrassing, and ownership doesn't deserve us to fill the park this year.

Last I checked, the team still had Frank Thomas, the best White Sox player ever, and Magglio Ordonez, one of the best stars in the game. If that's not enough for you, then it's your loss.

It's awfully lucky all Sox fans don't decide to not go to games when the team isn't winning titles - if that was true, there's no way this team would still exist, because it's been not winning titles for about 85 years now...

PINWHEELS
01-16-2004, 08:13 PM

I for one won't be turning over a cent to the White Sox unless they surprise me in between now and opening day. Just wonderng what the rest of you think. I Will not go to the cell this year! If ownership wil not spend any money, why should I? I Will see the white sox on the road instead for two reasons; 1- i will give my money to a different owner, and 2- it's more fun being the visiting fan!

anewman35
01-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
I Will not go to the cell this year! If ownership wil not spend any money, why should I?

Because you like watching baseball games?

Lip Man 1
01-16-2004, 10:54 PM
ANewMan says:

Because you like watching baseball games?

I can't speak for anybody else but I like watching winning baseball games (i.e. when I know that the odds are pretty good the Sox are going to win because they have a good team...)

If I wanted to just watch a game I'd go to Wrigley.

Lip

hold2dibber
01-16-2004, 11:03 PM
I don't for a second blame those who won't go to games this year because of management's failure to make a commitment to winning. But I'll go as much as I can anyway. I won't enjoy it much if, as I expect, they're mediocre again. But that's what I do - win or lose, I go and root for the Sox. It's ingrained. I wish I could stop but I can't - I've got a monkey on my bank, and he's decked out in silver and black. I'm going to be watching them either way - I can't just not care, so I might as well be out in the sun (or the rain/fog/sleet), talking baseball, watching baseball, having a churro.

soxnut
01-17-2004, 02:18 AM
they have a good team...)

If I wanted to just watch a game I'd go to Wrigley.

Lip [/B][/QUOTE]

Then go.............

doublem23
01-17-2004, 02:27 AM
I usually make it out to 10 or so games per year. In 2000, I nearly went to 30, IIRC. This year, I'll still go, but I don't think I'll break 5.

TornLabrum
01-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Last year I went to about 20 home games. I had a 7-game package for myself, and I bought another 7 game package for myself and my son.

This year, in anticipation of Uncle Jer cheaping out I've already purchased a 9 game package for the Jackhammers for myself and my son, a 10 game package with the Kane County Cougars for myself, and another 5 game package at Kane Co. for myself and my son.

I've also heard a rumor that the Sox are going to discontinue the Sox-Seven package. I could end up going to only a half dozen or so games this year if this is the case. Screw 'em!

hftrex
01-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Last year I went to about 20 home games. I had a 7-game package for myself, and I bought another 7 game package for myself and my son.

This year, in anticipation of Uncle Jer cheaping out I've already purchased a 9 game package for the Jackhammers for myself and my son, a 10 game package with the Kane County Cougars for myself, and another 5 game package at Kane Co. for myself and my son.

I've also heard a rumor that the Sox are going to discontinue the Sox-Seven package. I could end up going to only a half dozen or so games this year if this is the case. Screw 'em!

If you're such a Sox hater, then why do you write for WSI?

voodoochile
01-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by hftrex
If you're such a Sox hater, then why do you write for WSI?

WHAT? Man, this may be the biggest stretch I've ever read on these boards. Where did you get that from?

Why is someone automatically labeled a "Sox Hater" because they choose to not support JR's decision to sit on his hands this off season?

I agree that the loss of the Sox-7 is going to hurt the Sox attendance.

hftrex
01-17-2004, 05:41 PM
First, JR has not sat on his hands this season. Just where do you get that idea?

Second, Hal Vickery is a guy who writes a regular column at WSI who but very rarely has ever said anything positive about the Sox. If anything, you get the impression that he hates the Sox but can't quite get over his ill-will towards the North Side yuppies to become a Cubs fan.

voodoochile
01-17-2004, 05:43 PM
First, JR has not sat on his hands this season. Just where do you get that idea?

Second, Hal Vickery is a guy who writes a regular column at WSI who but very rarely has ever said anything positive about the Sox. If anything, you get the impression that he hates the Sox but can't quite get over his ill-will towards the North Side yuppies to become a Cubs fan.

No, YOU get that impression. I don't get that impression at all. You want to make a postive statement about the Sox? Write a column and submit it for publishing, no guarantees, but at least you won't have to whine about not enjoying the columns you do see.

Okay... I'll bite. What has JR done this off season to improve the team?

hftrex
01-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Well, the Sox have signed up a lot of promising players such as Jose Santiago and Cliff Politte.

Just because the Sox haven't signed up any big name players, that doesn't mean anything especially since there are a number of promising yougsters such as Kris Honel and Jeremy Reed coming up in the farm system as well.

Daver
01-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Well, the Sox have signed up a lot of promising players such as Jose Santiago and Cliff Politte.

Just because the Sox haven't signed up any big name players, that doesn't mean anything especially since there are a number of promising yougsters such as Kris Honel and Jeremy Reed coming up in the farm system as well.

You have got to be kidding me.

voodoochile
01-17-2004, 05:50 PM

Okay, that's two, which doesn't meet my standard as A LOT. Secondly, where you see promise, I see them taking a lucky shot and crossing their fingers they catch lightening in a bottle like they did with Loaiza last year.

Well you like the young prospects, I await them actually living up to some of their hype before I want to annoint them saviors and beside that, they were NOT acquired this off season, so they miss the most basic premise of the question.

Politte? Santiago? *****! Why not mention Uribe?

hftrex
01-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Why do you say that?

hftrex
01-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Uribe's good too.

The Critic
01-17-2004, 07:44 PM
I will still go, for the same reasons others have already posted.
There are few things better in life than a beautiful summer evening at the ballpark.

jabrch
01-17-2004, 08:04 PM

Mr. Reinsdorf,

At least when you come here, please have the decency to not insult my/our inteligence in front of us. I don't care if you have no respect for Sox fans and our desire to win, but please don't come here and bring WSI members down. You have done a lot to try and ruin my experience at Comiskey Park, but you will not ruin the time I spend at WSI. That, sir, is even beyond your capabilities. Santiago and Politte are as promising as Jose Paniagua. They promise to be either, at best, mediocre, or more likely, downright awful.

Go back to your desk Mr. Reinsdorf and negotiate a deal to sell to Donald Trump. I'll buy season tickets the day I know that you and your regime are gone for good. Until then, I am coming on discounted nights and when I get free ticks. I am sneaking in my own beer, and bringing my own sandwich. I will, unfortunately, still have to eat your Churros, but that is because there is no good Churro stand between my office, the L and the park.

Sincerely

Jason

jabrch
01-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Uribe's good too.
Yeah, he is awesome. He might even be better than Aaron Miles!

CubKilla
01-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Daver
You have got to be kidding me.

:D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

Hangar18
01-18-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Mr. Reinsdorf,

At least when you come here, please have the decency to not insult my/our inteligence in front of us. I don't care if you have no respect for Sox fans and our desire to win, but please don't come here and bring WSI members down. You have done a lot to try and ruin my experience at Comiskey Park, but you will not ruin the time I spend at WSI. That, sir, is even beyond your capabilities. Santiago and Politte are as promising as Jose Paniagua. They promise to be either, at best, mediocre, or more likely, downright awful.

Go back to your desk Mr. Reinsdorf and negotiate a deal to sell to Donald Trump. I'll buy season tickets the day I know that you and your regime are gone for good. Until then, I am coming on discounted nights and when I get free ticks. I am sneaking in my own beer, and bringing my own sandwich. I will, unfortunately, still have to eat your Churros, but that is because there is no good Churro stand between my office, the L and the park.

Sincerely

Jason

Laughing hysterically at 5am, and crying at the same time.
Ive said before, I'll go to games to Support my WhiteSox
and Big Frank, and Maggs last Season as a Sox, but i'll
do it 30 to 40% less, and I'm drinking 40% less beer when
I do show up. I'll really cut my payroll also. Pinwheel
brought up a good point, Id rather spend on them on the road
anyway....

doublem23
01-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Uribe's good too.

You're talking about the guy that couldn't hit in Coors, right?

TaylorStSox
01-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Honestly, I think that I'm going to enjoy going this summer more than last. I'd rather see kids that play hard and struggle than a very talented team limp through the year. I was so frustrated with last year's team. Crash diving into walls and Harris busting ass to first is better than watching Konerko cry in the dugout because he struck out in a game that we're winning.

So, yes, I'll go every monday and tuesday again. Hey, I'm a poor student. :gulp:

I refuse to let a half witted owner ruin my enjoyment for something that I believe in.

TornLabrum
01-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Honestly, I think that I'm going to enjoy going this summer more than last. I'd rather see kids that play hard and struggle than a very talented team limp through the year. I was so frustrated with last year's team. Crash diving into walls and Harris busting ass to first is better than watching Konerko cry in the dugout because he struck out in a game that we're winning.

So, yes, I'll go every monday and tuesday again. Hey, I'm a poor student. :gulp:

I refuse to let a half witted owner ruin my enjoyment for something that I believe in.

I'd rather see a great team put together by an owner who gives more than lip service to the desire to win. I'd rather see the Sox build a dynasty. I'm tired of going year after year on less than promises.

duke of dorwood
01-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Uribe's good too.

:therapy:

Lip Man 1
01-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Taylor says:

I'd rather see kids that play hard and struggle than a very talented team limp through the year.

Funny Uncle Jerry used that same 'excuse' for the White Flag Deal in 97.

Seems like some things never change on the South Side.

Lip

ChiSoxJay
01-19-2004, 08:43 AM
I'll definitely still go. Even though the team doesn't look so great on paper, I think they'll surprise everyone and win the AL central....I hope!!

TaylorStSox
01-19-2004, 12:56 PM

I liked the move then and I still like it now. :)

Dick Allen
01-19-2004, 01:06 PM
The Schaumburg Flyers will be getting any of my money that I would have normally earmarked for the White Sox this year.

cubhater
01-19-2004, 01:41 PM
I'll go to a couple of games against the Cubs and maybe a few others, probably less than five altoghether. As much as I love the Sox, JR is going to see a lot less cash from me this year.

Dadawg_77
01-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Taylor says:

I'd rather see kids that play hard and struggle than a very talented team limp through the year.

Seems like some things never change on the South Side.

Lip

I think we all would love to see a very talented team win the Central, just is it there? Also if a team is very talented how come it is limping, maybe the talent has been overvauled.

JaylisJP
01-19-2004, 07:58 PM
i'm not going to any games, and anyone who does has no right to criticize the management or the owner. Either shut up or stay home. Do it right and stop making excuses.

voodoochile
01-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by JaylisJP
i'm not going to any games, and anyone who does has no right to criticize the management or the owner. Either shut up or stay home. Do it right and stop making excuses.

So, I can't go to a few games for enjoyment and just cut back on my Sox spending because I don't believe managment put any effort into the off season? I have to boycott if I want to bitch?

Man, that sucks... I don't think I can do that...