PDA

View Full Version : Moss

T-Bag
01-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Should I assume now that we got Person, we won't be trying to get Moss??? Looks like the Ray's are interested

http://www.rotoworld.com/display2.asp?sport=MLB&page=players&X=6710&Y=0[/URL]

yadosoxfan
01-16-2004, 04:06 PM
I would say that if the Sox signed Damien Moss, I would actually be satisfied with the pitching for the season, at least until the midway point where we could then pick up someone for the stretch run. I think if we could have Moss as our #4 and Person/Schoenweis as our #5, we would probably have the best rotation in the division. Minnesota has a solid 1-2-3, but their 4-5 is garbage as of right now, and KC has nothing. Anyone know what jose lima is at? he wouldn't be that bad of an option as long as he isn't asking a lot.

T-Bag
01-16-2004, 04:10 PM
I agree and would like to see Moss here as our #4/#5, can't be asking for that much can he? Of course if he is asking for anything that has 7 digits in it, we are done talking w/ him.../..

:)

JDP
01-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if the D-Rays picked him up -- they've picked up every other hand-me-down this offseason.

lowesox
01-16-2004, 04:15 PM
We gave Showenweiss something like 1.7 million I think. Moss could make a good case that he deserves at least that.

But yeah, a signing of a guy like Moss or Livan Hernendex or Ryan Dempster - any of these guys would probably improve the way our rotation looks. I still think we need a top notch setup guy because the back end of our bullpen looks awful right now.

PaleHoseRon
01-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Moss's salary for 2003: $1.55M!!!!

JDP
01-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Moss made $1.55? Yikes. At least he could still be signed cheaply, ie: minor league deal or incentive laden base contract [see: Schoeney]. Throw $0.75 his way w/ an option for '05.

I think that Livan Hernadez here would be sufficient at #4 as well, so if he could be picked up for $2.0 or so, that'd bolster this rotation; however, it'd "hamper" any type of development at the next level for guys like Rauch or Diaz.

Is $3.0 within reason for JR to make the rotation Loaiza, Buehrle, Hernandez, Garland, Moss instead of the present rotation of Loaiza, Buehrle, Garland, Schoeney, #5?

lowesox
01-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by JDP
however, it'd "hamper" any type of development at the next level for guys like Rauch or Diaz.

Personally, I think Rauch has had his chance. As for Diaz, I'd like to see him in the bullpen if he can make the team. Last year when we had a very good starting 4 I was ok with starting the season with a rookie number 5, but this year we have to many questions at the front end to have veterans all the way through.

At this point I'd be pretty happy with:

Buerle
Loaiza
Garland
Moss
Dempster/Person

I think I'd prefer Person as a Set-up guy if his arm is healthy enough.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Dempster just had Tommy John surgery at the end of the season, thus he won't be able to pitch at all in 2004.

MarkEdward
01-16-2004, 08:26 PM
To me, Damian Moss is a pitcher on the brink of implosion. He seems like a bad version of Jon Garland. He walks a ton of hitters. Last year, he had more walks than strikeouts (92 to 79). Even though he pitched somewhat well in 2002 (120 ERA+), he gave up 4.5 walks per nine innings, and his 89 walks were good for eighth in the league. He even walked a lot of hitters in the minors (5.2 BB/9 IP in AAA). His K and homer rates aren't that great either.

If the choice is between Moss and someone like Jon Rauch, I'd rather see Rauch.