PDA

View Full Version : how will the sox look in 3-5 years from now

habibharu
01-16-2004, 11:39 AM
since we arent doing anything this offseason, i got to thinking about the future. and as it stands right now, it doesnt look too bright. this is how is see the sox stacking up in '06 or '07

C olivo
1B konerko(probably) or gload
2B harris
SS uribe
3B crede
OF rowand
OF lee
OF reed
DH borchard

SP buehrle
SP Honel
SP garland
SP diaz
SP rauch/pacheco/stewart/wing/meaux

RP wright
RP marte
RP wunsch
RP adkins
RP munoz
RP grilli
CL ?

bennyw41
01-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Is anyone else disgusted by this post? First off, this doesn't include trades, free agent signings, any sort of thought on potential. Not to be rude, but none of your picks make sense.

habibharu
01-16-2004, 11:45 AM
well i just made this post to point out that our minor league system is weak. i understand where you're coming from with FA,trades etc, but that wasnt my point

kittle42
01-16-2004, 11:47 AM
How will the Sox look 3-5 years from now?

I have no idea, but I am sure that they will look nothing like the list above.

tanko
01-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Is anyone else disgusted by this post? First off, this doesn't include trades, free agent signings, any sort of thought on potential. Not to be rude, but none of your picks make sense.

Free Agents??? Sox don't sign those anyway

bennyw41
01-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Yea, so that alters it too. Whether they sign them or not, in today's type of MLB enviroment, there is no telling what a roster will look like by the all-star break, let alone in 3-5 years

Iwritecode
01-16-2004, 12:04 PM
The Cubs are a perfect example of how much teams can change within 3 years. How many current players were there in 2000?

Sosa
Wood
???

Lip Man 1
01-16-2004, 12:06 PM
The only thing that really needs to change is ownership.

Lip

ma-gaga
01-16-2004, 12:16 PM
5 years is too long to project out. you might be able to figure out the majority of the roster in 3 years. Maybe 15 of the 25 man roster. And that would be stretching it.

I'd estimate that you have 5 players per year turnover... I bet that will get you fairly close. For this type of roster projection, you might as well say:

"SS in 2008 = first round pick in 2005 draft"

I mean, unfortunately that will be the #30th overall pick, but the guy is a college player with a hitting line of 0.300/0.420/0.560. So he's "can't miss".

:)

poorme
01-16-2004, 12:23 PM
I disagree. They ought to have a five year plan, even if it's revised every year. It seems to me the KW doesn't even have a one year plan.

Hangar18
01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The Cubs are a perfect example of how much teams can change within 3 years. How many current players were there in 2000?

Sosa
Wood
???

That team is EMBARRASSING how they have to completely OverHaul the team every year. Heck, by the end of the year,
they have almost all new players. They are THE ONLY TEAM
IN THE MLB that Takes their "team photo", in September !!!!

as for the SOX in 2007, heres the Lineup I see in 2007
as they take the field against the World Champ KC Royals.

1B Ross Gload
2B Mike Nelson
3B Joe Crede
SS Antonio Villalobo
RF Wade Ryan
CF Jack Wilson
LF Richie Sexson
DH Ken DuBois

No clue about the Pitchers ..........

ode to veeck
01-16-2004, 12:46 PM
I disagree. They ought to have a five year plan, even if it's revised every year.

Maybe that's our problem, JR's secretly been doing this modeled on the Soviet style "5 year plan", I can't wait for the Sox version of the "Great Leap Forward"! :cool:

kittle42
01-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I disagree. They ought to have a five year plan, even if it's revised every year. It seems to me the KW doesn't even have a one year plan.

A five-year plan is unrealistic in today's game in any sport, really.

A five-year plan that gets revised every year isn't really a five-year plan.

poorme
01-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Circumstances change in any business. You modify the plan. Technolgy changes, customer needs change, prices change, etc.

TaylorStSox
01-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The only thing that really needs to change is ownership.

Lip

Can you add this to your sig so that all of your posts don't look so redundant. I think everyone knows where you stand on ownership.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
My guess about the Sox in 3-5 years? Approximately 84 wins, 78 losses. Second-place finish in the division, third in the wild card. Still crying poor, too.

Oh, and Forbes will estimate the Sox franchise value as being $350 million. That's roughly $100 million more than it is today, unless Reinsdorf talks his fellow owners into locking out the players union or forcing a strike. Then the franchise value will only appreciate to $300 million.

wilburaga
01-16-2004, 01:35 PM
From the beginning of Spring Training in 2000 to the beginning of Spring Training in 2003 the White Sox 40 man roster experienced the following turnover.

Of the 20 pitchers to begin ST in 2000, exactly 0 were still on the team for ST in 2003. Adios to Baldwin, Barcelo, Beirne, Bradford, Castillo, Daneker, Davenport, Eldred, Eyre, Foulke, Howry, Lowe Myette, Parque, Pena, Secoda, Simas, Sirotka, Sturtze and Kip Wells.

Of the 3 catchers to begin ST in 2000, 1 (Josh Paul) survived to ST 2003. Good bye to Fordyce and Mark Johnson.

Of the 10 infielders, 4 (Crede, Konerko, Thomas and Valentin) made it to 2003. Sayonara Caruso, Dallaero, Durham, Leifer, Norton and Wilson.

And of the 6 outfielders, 2 (Lee and Ordonez) were still around in 2003. Farewell Abbott, Christensen, Simmons and Singleton.

So out of 39 players, only 7 were still with the team 3 years later. My conclusion is that if you're going to project rosters 3 years down the road (not to mention 5 years) you better have some happening tea leaves.

W

munchman33
01-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Five years from now, the extra draft picks the Sox get this year will all be ready to break onto the team. Don't forget about that. The minor league system is going to be restocked.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Munchman says:

Five years from now, the extra draft picks the Sox get this year will all be ready to break onto the team. Don't forget about that. The minor league system is going to be restocked

Keeping in mind the story in Baseball America that said only one out of every ten minor league players ever makes it to the major leagues.

Ah yes another class along the likes of Scott Ruffcorn, Rod Bolton, Aaron Myette, Jeff Darwin, Scott Eyre, Joe Hicks and Bryan Ward.

and remember the Sox have to sign all those high draft picks don't they?

Lip

Daver
01-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

and remember the Sox have to sign all those high draft picks don't they?

They went ten for ten in signing their top ten draft picks last year.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Daver:

But there were also times when they didn't did they? (i.e. Jeff Weaver, Bobby Seay) and let's not forget that from 1976 through 1979 they failed to sign any of their top two picks!

Just because they did it last year doesn't automatically mean they can do it three years from now especially with all the picks they may have...

Lip

doublem23
01-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Daver
They went ten for ten in signing their top ten draft picks last year.

Shh... That's remotely positive.

lowesox
01-17-2004, 01:58 PM
I think Danny Wright will be a very good closer for somebody in three years from now.