PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here?

yadosoxfan
01-15-2004, 05:33 PM
With the signing of Sidney Ponson with the Orioles at 3yr/22.5M, where do the Sox look now for a starting rotation. I'm almost ready to just give up and let Diaz have a spot. He sounds like he has the potential to be a surprise, looking at his winter numbers and the articles on him. what's your opinion?

Tekijawa
01-15-2004, 05:43 PM
UP???

Cause if it's down then... well, I just don't want to think about that!

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Not signing Ponson wasn't that big of a deal IMO. He hasn't shown me anything to get all excited or upset about. Like someone had posted, he could be just another David Wells type of guy who would do nothing for us but heart break. We have 2 great starters with MB and EL, we just need a solid 3 guy and we will be fine. Oh and a little bullpen help. Where's Rocky Biddle when you need him?

Dadawg_77
01-15-2004, 06:24 PM
thrid place

lowesox
01-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
thrid place

If things don't change, we might not even finish third. Cleveland and Detroit are both going to be much better this year.

Daver
01-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
If things don't change, we might not even finish third. Cleveland and Detroit are both going to be much better this year.

As of this moment the Sox are well equipped to battle for third place.

MRKARNO
01-15-2004, 08:04 PM
I think that the difference between first and fifth is going to be close this year. Maybe only about 20 games, which isnt really that big of a difference relative to other divisions. For comparison, Detroit finished 47 back last year

JRIG
01-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Daver
As of this moment the Sox are well equipped to battle for third place.

I agree. The sky is not completely falling. The frustration is with not making moves to position ourselves for a first place run. A team with Buehrle, Loaiza, Thomas and Ordonez will still more than likely be able to take third place in this division. However, with that core, the team should be capable of so much more. Surrounding that talent with guys like Harris, Schoenweis, and Rowand is the problem.

Detroit is still not strong and Cleveland is at least a year away. If we finish under third this year it will be because the team is a complete disaster.

Daver
01-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by JRIG

If we finish under third this year it will be because the team is a complete disaster.

:ozzie:

How can that happen with me running the show?

poorme
01-15-2004, 08:57 PM
It will be a complete disaster if we can't win this terrible division.

1951Campbell
01-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
thrid place

Yep.

yadosoxfan
01-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by poorme
It will be a complete disaster if we can't win this terrible division.

Unfortunately...someone has to win this division. This year would be the easiest year in baseball history to make the playoffs. I bet the Blue Jays and Orioles would LOVE to be in the AL central right now, they would be a shoe-in for the playoffs, now if we could only open the checkbook, we could easily take the Twins and Royals, and once your in the playoffs the last 3 years, anything can happen (Diamondbacks, Angels, Marlins...White Sox??)

TornLabrum
01-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Daver
:ozzie:

How can that happen with me running the show?

:reinsy :KW

"Becaise we're the ones who are really running the show."

CubKilla
01-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
Cleveland is at least a year away.

Cleveland in '04 could be, IMHO, the 2000 White Sox..... a relatively young team that, if they have a hot streak early and play from then on out with confidence, could surprise MLB and take the AL Central.

StepsInSC
01-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by yadosoxfan
Unfortunately...someone has to win this division. This year would be the easiest year in baseball history to make the playoffs. I bet the Blue Jays and Orioles would LOVE to be in the AL central right now, they would be a shoe-in for the playoffs, now if we could only open the checkbook, we could easily take the Twins and Royals, and once your in the playoffs the last 3 years, anything can happen (Diamondbacks, Angels, Marlins...White Sox??)

I think all but about 6 or 7 teams in the MLB could win this division (or at least contend) if they were in the AL central. That what makes it so sad. Fielding a first place team would surely mean more attendance, and fielding a first place team wouldn't require a huge step up in payroll considering the joke of a division we're in.

Deadguy
01-16-2004, 12:07 PM
There's no reason why we can't or shouldn't be dominating this pathetic division. Moves such as the Koch trade and the Konerko contract extentsion, however, have handcuffed us to be destined to finish 2nd, like we have every year since 1996, except for 2000 and 2001.

Not that KW should necessarilly be completely blamed. Some moves are going to be good, and some are going to be bad. But with the budget imposed, we have to be careful to giving big money contracts to fringe players, like Konerko.