PDA

View Full Version : what do you think?

pearso66
01-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Now I know this will never happen, but I was just wondering what others thought, since I recently had this thought. If Maggs goes to LA, what do you say we ship Konerko and Koch to the Tigers for Maroth, and either Cornejo or Bonderman, along with Higginson? Now I know nobody wants Higginson, and I'm not exactly sure about his contract status, but i think in order to get those pitchers and get rid of money, we'd need to take money. And they aren't excited about Higginson's contract, and we arent about Konerko and Koch. I know a lot of you have been asking to trade Konerko and Koch, and get pitching, this would take care of both.

I don't really care to get rid of Konerko, but I like Maroth and one of the other 2 pitchers. My thought is you have to be good to lose 20 games, and if I am correct, Maroth shut out the Sox twice last year. He has some pretty good stuff. As do the other 2 pitchers, Cornejo better than Bonderman I think, plus Cornejo is 3 years younger than Bonderman.

DirtySouthsider
01-15-2004, 03:22 PM
If you were Detroit why would you want to do this deal? They would have to take on two expensive under-achieving players and give up alot pitching.....which they have little of.

If I was the Sox I would consider it.

pearso66
01-15-2004, 03:29 PM
not all 3 pitchers, just 2 of them. plus konerko is better than higginson. i believe this year that higginson is making about the same as konerko and koch combined.

DirtySouthsider
01-15-2004, 03:33 PM
If higginson is making that much then forget about it! It would be a horrible deal for the Sox. We don't need any over paid bad players.

pearso66
01-15-2004, 03:36 PM
I admit we'd be takign on a bad contract with a bad player, but we'd pick up 2 pretty good pitchers at the same time. We could put one of the 2 in the 5 spot, and then 1 in the bullpen, or both in the lineup and perez in the pen.

CHISOXFAN13
01-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I admit we'd be takign on a bad contract with a bad player, but we'd pick up 2 pretty good pitchers at the same time. We could put one of the 2 in the 5 spot, and then 1 in the bullpen, or both in the lineup and perez in the pen.

The Tigers wouldn't touch that deal, so I don't understand why this is even a topic.

pearso66
01-15-2004, 04:02 PM
I know it would never happen, the only reason i brought it up, is I had the idea and wanted to know what others thought.

kittle42
01-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
The Tigers wouldn't touch that deal, so I don't understand why this is even a topic.

The excuse would be "well, it gives us something to talk about," but I hate that excuse.

So here ya go - how about the Marlins trade us Josh Beckett, Miguel Cabrera, Luis Castillo, Mike Lowell, and Juan Pierre for Magglio, Koch, and Konerko? Oh, and we'll give them Willie Harris, too, and one of our failed pitching prospects.

tanko
01-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Tigers love Bonderman

PaleHoseRon
01-15-2004, 04:22 PM
2002: $5.85M
2003: $8.85M
2004: $8.85M
2005: $11.85M

thecell
01-15-2004, 04:25 PM
If Bobby Higginson were ever a White Sox, I would renounce my allegiance to the team.

JDP
01-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
Now I know this will never happen, but I was just wondering what others thought, since I recently had this thought. If Maggs goes to LA, what do you say we ship Konerko and Koch to the Tigers for Maroth, and either Cornejo or Bonderman, along with Higginson?

Having one of my homes near Detroit, I can tell you, that as eager as the Tigers would be to shipping out Higginson's GNP-like contract, they have no desire to add a lumbering 1B in Konerko, both because they have Young/Pena already and because of PK's contract. Also, the Tigers are thin in pitching as is -- no way they trade their team ERA leader who makes next to nothing (same for their W leader in Cornejo). Not that either of them are perrenial all-stars, but they are decent enough and make combined what I lost on the stock market today [close to $600,000].

A trade I see working is sending Billy Koch ($6.25/'04) to Detroit for Matt Anderson ($4.3/'04 w/ $6.25 option for '05).

It'll have to be small moves like this [saving the Sox $1.95 in salary] that will need to add up to be able to pull off this "Boston Blockbuster". Then perhaps the Sox could send PK ($8.25/'04 and $9.00/'05) to a team that needs a 1B (Atlanta should be on speed-dial) and will shed a contract back onto us that isn't "as" bad.
[see: PK to Atlanta for ... ?] or to Arizona perhaps.