PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Cubs discussion

BackInBlack
01-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Interesting read:

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=28944902&sid=&style=2

Baby Fisk
01-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Sounds like one messed up dude. Why is he even having this debate with himself???

:thankgod

Tekijawa
01-15-2004, 11:53 AM
And I thought people from North Western were supposed to be smart... Did you read any of the responces?

DirtySouthsider
01-15-2004, 12:03 PM
This same argument goes on a million times a day in Chicago. It's always the same thing. Although I do enjoy it but it does get my blood pressure up!

Iwritecode
01-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Well, at least he is one of the few Cubs "fans" that has actually seen the light and realizes what is going on. His ongoing infatuation with the Cubs is troubling though.

I was going to respond but it looks like a few Sox fans read the post and pretty much said everything that I would have said. It's just sad that the Cubs fans arguing back refuse to believe the facts...

Iwritecode
01-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
And I thought people from North Western were supposed to be smart... Did you read any of the responces?

I like the one where the guy says that the Cubs have more pennants and WS apperances than the Sox since 1901.

Hey Voodoo, didn't you write an article one time on this site comparing the win/loss records of the two teams since 1901???

Jerko
01-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Nice responses. Well my fellow white trash Sox fans, it's nice to know that "wholesome" is now an adjective that people use to describe the Flubs. All those wholesome drunks who get hammered at Wrigley and then ruin OUR night at the Cell, that wholesome bulked up steroid ridden right fielder who got caught with cork in his bat, the wholesome spitter, ump bumper, and sausage beater, the wholesome fans who have exiled one of their own to somewhere more difficult to find than Hussein's spider-hole was, that wholesome Premium Ticket Scalping company, and the wholesome rooftop owners who have been making money for free for all these years by stealing somebody else's product. Real wholesome. I hate the Cubs and all things Cub.

voodoochile
01-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I like the one where the guy says that the Cubs have more pennants and WS apperances than the Sox since 1901.

Hey Voodoo, didn't you write an article one time on this site comparing the win/loss records of the two teams since 1901???

It's just a spread sheet. Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=2230&category=3)

Iwritecode
01-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It's just a spread sheet. Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=2230&category=3)

Yea, that's what I was thinking of...

Baby Fisk
01-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Did you read any of the responces?
I love the moron who grew up a Flubs fan and didn't realize the Sox existed until he went to COLLEGE! Typical. Now he claims to be a fan of both, which is a metaphysical impossibility. Jeez these people are idiots...

pearso66
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
some of that was pretty entertaining to read. The sox fan who beat up the Angels guy? when did that happen? lol. The guy who claimed that comparing the sox to the cubs was like comparing the Kane County Cougars to the Cubs. Right. and then all the threatening to kill each other. Man I'm glad that this site is sane.

petekat
01-15-2004, 03:32 PM

I don't think this guy went to NW.He just posted on the board to get the opinion of Chicagoans. He was a PennSt. alum, no?

Hondo
01-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Most Cubs fans wouldn't know Bill James from Lebron James.

I've brought this up before and I'll bring it up again, this story PERSONIFIES a Cubs crowd.

Game 7 against Florida. Game after now Cult Hero Bartman saves the day. Second Inning the cubs are down. Kerry Wood hits a homer to tie the game at 3-3 and what happens?

Idiot Cubs fans give him a standing ovation and want a curtain call. Don't they realize that the game is only tied and that there are SEVEN INNINGS LEFT TO PLAY!?!?!?!

No. They don't care.

"I like home runs because we all stand up and high five"
"Home runs are awesome because we slam a beer everytime one is hit"

You're team hasn't won a World Series in damn near 100 years. You lost a game the previous night that rivals Game 6 in the 1986 WS in terms of the ultimate momentum deflater and spirit killer.

And you stand up to cheer you're pitcher and ask for a curtain call?!?!? Do you even comprehend the sort of etiquette involved with a curtain call?

If I was at the Cell for something the ALCS in the same situation and people next to me were asking for a curtain call I'd punch them all in the face. (Probably because I "live in a trailer and am white trash")

Are there bad Sox Fans? Yes. But an inordinate amount of Cubs fans suck because they are told it's hip to be a Cubs fan. You don't have to know anything about the game.

Just put this dopey hat on, take this beer, and remove your shirt.

And the kicker of it all is that for as much as we bitch about Uncle Jerry, I would rather have him than the Tribune company.
They are as evil as JR is oblivious.

I apologize for my rant but reading stuff like that is a sure fire way to piss me off but I read it anyway. Of course, I'm a Sox fan.
I just can't believe people refuse to see what the Cubs organization has done/does.

Has the whole world gone mad?

Cubs fans prove that MOST people regardless of team affiliation really don't understand the game.

Despite opinion differences I'm proud to talk to you all about baseball because so many of you know that game and love it as much as I do. Knowing that my team is your team makes the bad times easier because I at least take solace in the fact that at least they're are people who really CARE.

SSN721
01-15-2004, 03:47 PM
I think it just shows the overall intelligence of most of the posters on the other board that when a Cubs/Sox argument is brought up, all it comes down to is name calling and gross stereotyping of both sets of fans. I find it absolutely grating that people can argue like that and just make up facts and numbers without any research whatsoever to substantiate what is being said. I got quite angry reading that thread over there. I hate to bring it down to such a low level I think I would have to punch the poster NUMBCat in the face before I could even start talking to him. I don't think I have ever heard a more inane, unintelligent argument put together in my life. I cant imagine how obnoxious some of those people are off of the board. I hope I don't bump into too many of them in neck of the woods (although I am sure I will) this summer. Man, just makes me want to get pissed off and go drinking. :angry: :angry: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

kittle42
01-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Most Cubs fans wouldn't know Bill James from Lebron James.

I've brought this up before and I'll bring it up again, this story PERSONIFIES a Cubs crowd.

Game 7 against Florida. Game after now Cult Hero Bartman saves the day. Second Inning the cubs are down. Kerry Wood hits a homer to tie the game at 3-3 and what happens?

Idiot Cubs fans give him a standing ovation and want a curtain call. Don't they realize that the game is only tied and that there are SEVEN INNINGS LEFT TO PLAY!?!?!?!

There are plenty of stories worse than this, I am sure. Watching that game, I sure as hell thought Wood's homer would propel the Cubs to the World Series. Thankfully, I was wrong, but if I was a Cub fan at that game, I would have been ecstatic that the *pitcher* just hit a game-tying HR.

Now if the Cubs were down by 8 and the homer cut it to 5 or 6, the curtain call, etc. would have made for a good story.

Hondo
01-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
There are plenty of stories worse than this, I am sure. Watching that game, I sure as hell thought Wood's homer would propel the Cubs to the World Series. Thankfully, I was wrong, but if I was a Cub fan at that game, I would have been ecstatic that the *pitcher* just hit a game-tying HR.

Now if the Cubs were down by 8 and the homer cut it to 5 or 6, the curtain call, etc. would have made for a good story.

In the SECOND inning?
No I"m sorry you don't ask for a curtain call that early to tie the game.

Not in the NLCS after the Bartman game. That is begging for the ire of the baseball gods.

kittle42
01-15-2004, 04:16 PM
In the SECOND inning?
No I"m sorry you don't ask for a curtain call that early to tie the game.

Not in the NLCS after the Bartman game. That is begging for the ire of the baseball gods.

All I'm saying is talk all you want about curtain call etiquette, there are far worse examples of Cub fan idiocy.

Hondo
01-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
All I'm saying is talk all you want about curtain call etiquette, there are far worse examples of Cub fan idiocy.

oh of course.

We should come up with a Rolling Stone-esque Top 500 Idiot Cubs moments.

kittle42
01-15-2004, 04:39 PM
oh of course.

We should come up with a Rolling Stone-esque Top 500 Idiot Cubs moments.

I don't think one could stop at 500. :smile:

CubKilla
01-16-2004, 10:36 AM
I just can't believe people refuse to see what the Cubs organization has done/does.

Cub "fans" could care less. Like you said, give them sun, beer, ivy, and ShamME in RF and they couldn't be happier. The game is a distant second to all the "tradition" that Wrigley Field has to offer.

StepsInSC
01-16-2004, 10:48 AM
I still can't believe people didn't understand the booing of Cub players at the All Star game. WTFF? The only time I would ever cheer for a rival IN ANY SPORT is if they were hurt but then walked off the field. People don't expect college football fans to ever applaud for their school's rival, so why should MLB fans?

CubKilla
01-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
I still can't believe people didn't understand the booing of Cub players at the All Star game. WTFF? The only time I would ever cheer for a rival IN ANY SPORT is if they were hurt but then walked off the field. People don't expect college football fans to ever applaud for their school's rival, so why should MLB fans?

I don't think it was so much that people booed sCrUBBIES but the media turned it into "classless Sox fans boo Chicago's Northside baseball reps."

StepsInSC
01-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I don't think it was so much that people booed sCrUBBIES but the media turned it into "classless Sox fans boo Chicago's Northside baseball reps."

Ah, so maybe more a "booing the same city they reside in" kind of deal?

CubKilla
01-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Ah, so maybe more a "booing the same city they reside in" kind of deal?

The was the gist I got from it. Most people that never lived in Chicago can't understand the rivalry between Sox and Cubs fans.

Ottawa_Sox
01-16-2004, 11:59 AM
I have been cheering for this team for 44 years. I have never been to Chicago. In fact, I have never met a White Sox fan face to face. Cubkilla is completely on the mark. I didn't even know there was any rancor between the 2 fan bases until I started perusing this site and Soxtalk. I understand now.

Hangar18
01-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Ottawa_Sox
I have been cheering for this team for 44 years. I have never been to Chicago. In fact, I have never met a White Sox fan face to face. Cubkilla is completely on the mark. I didn't even know there was any rancor between the 2 fan bases until I started perusing this site and Soxtalk. I understand now.

Ottawa_Sox welcome. Please POST MORE! love seeing
Sox Fans from all corners of the Planet, weigh in on discussions
where do you watch the games up there? Would be cool
if you had a bar, w a satellite dish, televising the games
to a bunch of canadiens eh?

FanOf14
01-16-2004, 12:40 PM

By any chance are you a Senators fan? :)

joepoe
01-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Nice responses. Well my fellow white trash Sox fans, it's nice to know that "wholesome" is now an adjective that people use to describe the Flubs. All those wholesome drunks who get hammered at Wrigley and then ruin OUR night at the Cell, that wholesome bulked up steroid ridden right fielder who got caught with cork in his bat, the wholesome spitter, ump bumper, and sausage beater, the wholesome fans who have exiled one of their own to somewhere more difficult to find than Hussein's spider-hole was, that wholesome Premium Ticket Scalping company, and the wholesome rooftop owners who have been making money for free for all these years by stealing somebody else's product. Real wholesome. I hate the Cubs and all things Cub.

You forgot the wholesome urination on neighbors' garages and lawns on the way out of Ugly Field.

Ottawa_Sox
01-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Ottawa_Sox welcome. Please POST MORE! love seeing
Sox Fans from all corners of the Planet, weigh in on discussions
where do you watch the games up there? Would be cool
if you had a bar, w a satellite dish, televising the games
to a bunch of canadiens eh?

Thanks for the welcome Hangar!
My Cable package includes WGN. I was saddened when they cut back on the number of White Sox games. There is a bar at the end of the street where I live. I see some games there, but since I am an army of 1, I am often outvoted for the channel selection. Aside from that, there is the odd Fox or Blue Jay game. For at least the first 10 years of the Blue Jays existence, I drove to Toronto (4 1/2 hours) and saw every White Sox game. I even caught a typical 'Wimpy' Tom Paciorek shank job in foul territory at one game. Roy Lee Jackson delivered the pitch. The majority of my near patholigical, lifelong obsession with the Sox has been conducted through the radio. I spent many nights on a nearby baseball field with my transistor radio pressed up against the backstop as an antennae boost. My dog would always give me a perplexed stare, wondering when the 'walk' would continue. Ex-girlfriends have given me the same look when they realize my priorities. It sure is comforting to find so many people that are as sick as I am!

Ottawa_Sox
01-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
By any chance are you a Senators fan? :)

I wish! I am a Blackhawk fan. Ouch! Like so many of you passionate fans, I am powerless to change. The Senators are probably the closest thing I have to a second choice though. As far as baseball goes, for instance, I have no second choice. Who I cheer for at the World Series every year is determined by who I want to win least, not who I want to win most (i.e. anyone but the Yankees)

FanOf14
01-16-2004, 01:51 PM
I wish! I am a Blackhawk fan. Ouch! Like so many of you passionate fans, I am powerless to change. The Senators are probably the closest thing I have to a second choice though. As far as baseball goes, for instance, I have no second choice. Who I cheer for at the World Series every year is determined by who I want to win least, not who I want to win most (i.e. anyone but the Yankees)

That's cool. My fiance is a huge Sens fan and I am a Canes fan. We cheer for each others team as long as they aren't playing each other.

Baby Fisk
01-16-2004, 02:36 PM
I didn't even know there was any rancor between the 2 fan bases until I started perusing this site and Soxtalk. I understand now.
Same here. In Toronto, everyone is so obsessed with how powerful the Yankees and BoSox are that I've developed a pathological hatred for the Yanks. As for Boston, I just pity them. Spending time on this site has given me a great appreciation for how much there is to hate about the North side and their moronic fans. :D:

When I wear my Sox gear around town, people automatically assume I'm part of the Hip Hop crowd, because every second one of them wears a Sox cap (in that weird 1/4 sideways tilt -- them, not me...) :cool:

BackInBlack
01-16-2004, 06:19 PM
You have no idea how much Sox gear I see out here in NYC. Can't argue with the stylin' threads! Best in baseball.