PDA

View Full Version : Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez to the Tigers?

SoxFan78
01-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Can Somebody tell me how the Tigers of all teams have the inside track of signing Pudge Rodriguez and the sox are doing nothing??

This season is ours for the taking, and they Sox management is dragging their feet!

white sox bill
01-15-2004, 11:29 AM
$58 million payroll 'nuff said

doublem23
01-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Our payroll is like $63 million and we're overspending.

soxtalker
01-15-2004, 11:45 AM
While IR is a good player, catcher isn't anywhere close to the top of our list of needs. I don't recall any of the rumored trades involving top catching talent. We have a young catcher who is expected to take on more and more of the load. If you sign IR, that means that either he or Olivo will ride the bench more than they normally would/should. Maybe you can afford to do that (as an insurance measure) if you have one of the top payrolls, though it does seem odd that IR hasn't been signed by one of those teams. He must be asking a lot -- either $ or, more likely, number of years.

DirtySouthsider
01-15-2004, 11:49 AM
What is the Tigers' current payroll at? I'm sure they have more money to spend then the Sox do.

chisoxmike
01-15-2004, 11:51 AM
If the Tigers sign Ivan, this WILL NOT make them a playoff bound team. One player can not carry a team all the way. I would rather have the Tigers sign him than the Cubs!

jabrch
01-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
While IR is a good player, catcher isn't anywhere close to the top of our list of needs. I don't recall any of the rumored trades involving top catching talent. We have a young catcher who is expected to take on more and more of the load. If you sign IR, that means that either he or Olivo will ride the bench more than they normally would/should. Maybe you can afford to do that (as an insurance measure) if you have one of the top payrolls, though it does seem odd that IR hasn't been signed by one of those teams. He must be asking a lot -- either $ or, more likely, number of years.

Both actually - money and years. He was asking 4/40. Nobody would either pay him 10mm per or give him a 4 year deal. Balt offered him 3/24 and he turned it down. Florida offered him 3/21 and he turned it down. I wonder what the Tigers will pay him?

Deadguy
01-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan78
Can Somebody tell me how the Tigers of all teams have the inside track of signing Pudge Rodriguez and the sox are doing nothing??

Now that he has a WS ring, his clear incentive now is cashing in. He considered contract offers where the average annual salary was less than 10 million dollars/year to be "insulting", since that would be a pay cut in relevance to his salary last year.

He had a great post season, but his regular season numbers don't necessarilly warrant a salary of over 10 million a year, especially in this new era of collusion.

steff
01-15-2004, 01:17 PM
According to AM1000, deal is done.

fquaye149
01-15-2004, 01:50 PM
even with a higher payroll...say 75 million, would we still want to spend on pudge?

TaylorStSox
01-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Why would we want Pudge? I'm good with Olivo and Alomar. Good for Detroit. They need to do something to put some people in the stands.

DirtySouthsider
01-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
even with a higher payroll...say 75 million, would we still want to spend on pudge?

I agree completely! Catcher is one of least worries when you're still pulling names out of a hat to figure out who are 4-5 starters are going to be.

I think people have to stop complaining everytime a FA signs with another team. You have to put it all into perspective.....do we actually need that player or are you just complaining to complain!?

Hangar18
01-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
While IR is a good player, catcher isn't anywhere close to the top of our list of needs.

Good Teams, Teams that spend MONEY really, Go Out and get the BEST Available Players, regardless of need. They then make
trades to accomodate the roster. (team up north for Example, doesnt need Maddux, but are going for him Anyway. Dont really need a Catcher, but are QUIETLY pursueing IROD anyway) Yankees do it all the time.
Yankees have been to the Playoffs every single year for I cant remember how long anymore. Yankees recently WON 4 world Series Titles.

White Sox on Other Hand, cut payroll and refuse to spend to get over the Hump. Turn their back on their own Heritage. WhiteSox lambast their own fans. Despite all of this, White SOX can BEAT THE YANKEES, something they showed the last trip they were there, beating them HANDILY.
White Sox dont spend, and when they do,
dont Spend Smart, which they then Rationalize that "spending does us no good" then going back to Pinching Pennies. White Sox Recently won 3 Playoff Games. Once in 1983, and twice
in 1993. Have Not been to the World Series since 1959

soxfan26
01-28-2004, 11:23 PM
According to a report from the AP the deal is pending a physical...

link (http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/sports/printwire/012804cccaspoivanr.5fcdf68f.html)

The arcticle is from a TV news web site out of Hampton Roads, VA and is confirmed on rotoworld.com

link2 (http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?sport=MLB&page=players&x=4680&y=0)

The agreement contains a team option for 2008 that could make the contract worth $50 million over five years, one of the sources said.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I hope this makes the sox get up for the games against the tigers.

MRKARNO
01-28-2004, 11:36 PM
This also might be a Boras tactic to try to get the Dodgers or M's in it.

jordan23ventura
01-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Pudge doesnt have three years left in him, let alone five. His performance last year would have to be a repeat or better to make him worth 10mil IMO. I could see dishing out the money for a 2year deal to help the young arms, but 40mil/4 years is insane. If Detroit is stupid enough to take on another bad contract, let them. Who cares? They're years away from contending anyway.

soxfan26
01-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
Pudge doesnt have three years left in him, let alone five. His performance last year would have to be a repeat or better to make him worth 10mil IMO. I could see dishing out the money for a 2year deal to help the young arms, but 40mil/4 years is insane. If Detroit is stupid enough to take on another bad contract, let them. Who cares? They're years away from contending anyway.

It would not be the first FA they have overpaid for this offseason.

Huisj
01-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
It would not be the first FA they have overpaid for this offseason.

But Fernando Vina and "100 game special" Rondell White will surely put them over the top ! They're destined to win 65 games this year now!

Frater Perdurabo
01-29-2004, 09:18 AM
I like this deal from the Sox perspective: another AL Central rival throwing money away. If anything, because I-Rod doesn't work much with pitchers (too busy working on his hitting), the Tigers' pitchers will not perform as well against the Sox as they did in 2003.

When I-Rod was with the Rangers, the pitchers had significantly better stats when the backup catchers were in the game.

Now, we just need for KC's and Minny's free agent signings to be busts...

PINWHEELS
01-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan78

This season is ours for the taking, and they Sox management is dragging their feet! I Think you are going to start seeing the tigers start spending some money in the near future!1:To get fans Back to the ballpark, and 2: They host the 2005 All Star Game!

Iwritecode
01-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Good Teams, Teams that spend MONEY really, Go Out and get the BEST Available Players, regardless of need. They then make trades to accomodate the roster. (team up north for Example, doesnt need Maddux, but are going for him Anyway. Dont really need a Catcher, but are QUIETLY pursueing IROD anyway) Yankees do it all the time.
Yankees have been to the Playoffs every single year for I cant remember how long anymore. Yankees recently WON 4 world Series Titles.

White Sox on Other Hand, cut payroll and refuse to spend to get over the Hump. Turn their back on their own Heritage. WhiteSox lambast their own fans. Despite all of this, White SOX can BEAT THE YANKEES, something they showed the last trip they were there, beating them HANDILY. White Sox dont spend, and when they do, dont Spend Smart, which they then Rationalize that "spending does us no good" then going back to Pinching Pennies. White Sox Recently won 3 Playoff Games. Once in 1983, and twice
in 1993. Have Not been to the World Series since 1959

I think the Yankees are really the only team that can go out and get players "regardless of need".

They really have to if they want to make any trades because their minor league system is so empty.

Even if the Sox had a payroll as high as the Cubs, I wouldn't want them just throwing money away. Obviously there hasn't been much interest in IR this off-season so whoever signs him will probably be stuck with him. Giving him the huge contract he wants will make it all the more difficult to trade him later...

Deadguy
01-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
I Think you are going to start seeing the tigers start spending some money in the near future!1:To get fans Back to the ballpark, and 2: They host the 2005 All Star Game!

Since 1989, the Kittens have been one of the most pathetic franchises in all of sports. They're spending money, but they're so depleted of talent, that avoiding 100 losses next season may very well be a pipe dream.

Paulwny
01-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I like this deal from the Sox perspective: another AL Central rival throwing money away. If anything, because I-Rod doesn't work much with pitchers (too busy working on his hitting), the Tigers' pitchers will not perform as well against the Sox as they did in 2003.

When I-Rod was with the Rangers, the pitchers had significantly better stats when the backup catchers were in the game.

I heard or read that Fla. had a stipulation in IRod's contract that he would attend the pitchers/catchers meetings, which he refused to attend in Tex. I suspect Det. will also have this written into the contract.

Foulke You
01-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I think it is more of a PR move for them than a real push to win. They figure they can put some fannys in the seats next year for people who will want to come out and see I-Rod. He will give them some measure of identity in the league and will no doubt spark a little interest in a Red Wings/Pistons crazy city right now.

However, I think this deal will be bad for the Tigers in the long run. $40 million is a ton of money to invest in a catcher with a history of injury problems and who is in his 30s. They could have locked up at least two quality pitchers for $10 million per season that would have won them a hell of lot more games than I-Rod ever will. Which is why I say this I-Rod deal is only PR for the Tigers. Nothing more.

StillMissOzzie
01-30-2004, 05:06 AM
Interesting contract wrinkle, per ESPN.com: If I-Rod goes on the DL for over 35 days due to a spinal injury in 2004 or 2005, the contract is voidable after the 2005 season. This is clearly not a true 4/$40M guaranteed w/ no strings attached deal. IMHO, I-Rod's back must be uninsurable, so the Tiggers have some downside protection.

SMO

soxfan26
01-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Interesting contract wrinkle, per ESPN.com: If I-Rod goes on the DL for over 35 days due to a spinal injury in 2004 or 2005, the contract is voidable after the 2005 season. This is clearly not a true 4/$40M guaranteed w/ no strings attached deal. IMHO, I-Rod's back must be uninsurable, so the Tiggers have some downside protection.

SMO

In the same article they make some reference to how that clause is the handy work of Boras. If I understand it right that clause is better for the team, since when did Boras do anything for the good of the teams?

jabrch
01-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
In the same article they make some reference to how that clause is the handy work of Boras. If I understand it right that clause is better for the team, since when did Boras do anything for the good of the teams?

Probably since he realized that there was no way they would committ to 4/40 without some insurance.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-31-2004, 02:34 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040131&content_id=632649&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

4 years 40 million, 5th year option for $10 mil. Press conf introducing him on monday.